Jack Campbell - a legit starter or hot streak?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Players go outta their way to mention how nice a dude he is. There’s a lot of that in the league, but with Campbell it’s pretty much universal.

I’m a Sabres fan, I can’t actually root for the leafs, but- if they’re gonna win it anytime soon this would not be a bad story.

And ya, I think he’s got the talent to backstop a good playoff team. Leafs seem to be in a good spot right now. Colorado and TB are still machines, but Leafs seem hungry.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
His run is about as impressive as Michael Hutchinson's with the Jets and Hammond's with the Senators. Not saying that's his fate but it's much more common for goalies to come out of nowhere hot and then fade away than it is for them to come out of nowhere and suddenly be a star.

With that being said, nothing can tilt the playoffs like a hot goalie.
Except unlike Hammond he has a whole season of NHL play almost prior to his run.

Reactions: banks

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Definitely no adversity in being one of the highest drafted goalies of the cap era, being seen as a potential franchise player, flaming out and rebuilding a career from the ground up, then when you finally have a chance to seize a starter's job dealing with a recurring injury

Im not talking about that. Playing in Montreal and Toronto brings a different kind of pressure. You can go from hero to zero in a split second, especially if you’re a goalie.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Players go outta their way to mention how nice a dude he is. There’s a lot of that in the league, but with Campbell it’s pretty much universal.

I’m a Sabres fan, I can’t actually root for the leafs, but- if they’re gonna win it anytime soon this would not be a bad story.

And ya, I think he’s got the talent to backstop a good playoff team. Leafs seem to be in a good spot right now. Colorado and TB are still machines, but Leafs seem hungry.
until playoffs start

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Both, apparently.

He was drafted early as a future stud in net, took him a while to get there but it looks like he's just about ready.

Also, goalies go on heaters all the time. Campbell's on a good one now. Let's see how long it lasts.

Reactions: haveandare

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
The only question is durability, now.

He's proven with his performance/numbers this season that he's got the talent and ability. His starts are "legit starter" quality. So he's half way there.

Health has been a concern in the past, and even healthy goalies falter under a heavy workload over time. I'd need to see him start 50 ish games before saying he's a legit starter. But I've seen enough to give him that chance.

I love Freddy Andersen. I think he's been unfairly blamed for Toronto's playoff struggles. I'd bet he has lots of seasons left as a quality starter on a good team. But his time with Toronto is pretty much over, and that's OK. Campbell gets to be the starter next season.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Most likely a hot streak, especially considering he's playing behind a good team that exclusively beats up on maybe the worst division ever assembled in the NHL. Could be a late bloomer and following a Tim Thomas type career trajectory though maybe?

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Goalie's are voodoo. Campbell is on a heater right now. It's not debatable. How long it lasts is unknown. Could be be a starter for the Leafs next year? Sure why not... I wouldn't invest a lot of money in him.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You do know we will likely be your first round opponent, right?

You really going to let Perry win the series for you?

Back on topic: Campbell is a stud, let's see how he handles playoffs.

I mean I’ve seen worse Habs teams take out teams they weren’t suppose to have a chance against. 2002, 2004, 2010 all come to mind. Even beating the Penguins last year as the 24th ranked team in the play ins wasn’t suppose to happen. I wouldn’t sleep on us if we play.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Seems like he can perhaps be a solid 1b with a 30-40 game workload. Not sure I'd trust him with full starter minutes with his injury issues.

Reactions: TopChedder

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It’s difficult to say because he’s on a good team, the schedule is weird this year and it’s a small sample size but I have always remembered Campbell having big hype as a very talented goalie from the days of his draft. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s growing into that. Some guys take longer and goalie development usually takes the longest. I wouldn’t write it off as a hot streak, but I’d also probably grab a pending UFA to back him up if he stumbles.

Reactions: htpwn

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Uh huh, and what’s that based off of - you know, outside of what you hope it’s like?

There's literally nothing I said based on hope. It's based off of goaltending historically being a fickle position. If it ends not applying to him, then good on him.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Since his time in LA, I've felt that he is a legit starter. He may not be an All-Star-caliber top 10 goalie, but he is clearly a starter. To be honest, I have been surprised how little he has been utilized in Toronto since the trade as I've felt he's been their best option since.

Reactions: JKG33

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Since his time in LA, I've felt that he is a legit starter. He may not be an All-Star-caliber top 10 goalie, but he is clearly a starter. To be honest, I have been surprised how little he has been utilized in Toronto since the trade as I've felt he's been their best option since.
A bit of that is injuries but I agree. Andersen has been bad for a awhile now and Campbell has been solid since day 1 for us.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Kings once again helping the league when it comes to goalies. They have the recipe down.

I'm really happy for Campbell, what a great guy and it's nice to see him in the limelight considering what he went through in Dallas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad