Jack Campbell - a legit starter or hot streak?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
They scout the team but they have much more limited books on the backup goalie. Partially because they don’t have enough recent film on Campbell to identify clear tendencies and partly because teams only have so many hours they can spend and there are 20 players and another goalie they need to scout before him. In a condensed season you’d be surprised how little time teams have to spend on film. You can get some general themes but I guarantee you the book and trends analysis they have on Freddy and the one they have on soup are totally different in depth.

leafs D has been good this season. Stop living in the past.

I disagree re:scouting Campbell, since they only have 6 other teams to worry about and see that same team multiple times there is less time needed per team to scout. If that were the case Andersen and Hutch would be having great years as well. But if that's what you want to go with, run with it.

I know the Leafs D has been good, but we are constantly told they aren't, so it gets confusing.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He is better than Freddy.
So on the leafs he is the legit number one .
Play offs will be the true test. If he keeps this up , he becomes a legit number one.

Reactions: Puckrobber

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
I disagree re:scouting Campbell, since they only have 6 other teams to worry about and see that same team multiple times there is less time needed per team to scout. If that were the case Andersen and Hutch would be having great years as well. But if that's what you want to go with, run with it.

I know the Leafs D has been good, but we are constantly told they aren't, so it gets confusing.

Hutch has been pretty good apart from the game he got pulled and is sitting at a .915 (not including the ongoing calgary game where he's playing well).

We'll just have to disagree on scouting. My POV comes from discussions with coaches who have been in the room for olympic teams which play in a similarly-sized pool of teams, as well as supported by evidence from other sports such as the NFL where you often see short-lived success by backup QBs because teams have not scouted them as heavily as the starter.

My strong belief is that this leafs' team is too good to roll the dice on an unproven goalie in campbell (both by injury history and lack of proving he can sustain success over a season) and freddy who is clearly more hurt than they are letting on.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Are there any fans other than those of the nights opponents not cheering for the man?

He’s just so easy to like. :nod:

Reactions: bukwas

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I feel immensely confident when he's in net... doesn't drop to his knees early and is cool calm and collected... legit starter

You have no idea how happy THIS makes me. It absolutely enfuriates me how 95% of today's goalies drop to their knees before a shot is even taken and give up goals that would never go in if they didn't do that. I get that they are basically playing law of averages but it really annoys me. Guys like Price and Andersen are prime examples.

Reactions: NinjaKick

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
He’s an ultra talented goalie that was drafted 11th overall and then hit rock bottom. The goalie position is very weird, a lot of guys don’t hit their peaks until their late 20’s. Either way the story on The Atheltic is amazing and worth a read.

Reactions: authentic

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's a hot streak with the option of becoming legitimate over a bigger and bigger sample size. He has the pedigree, just needs to build the track record.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
This is just what the Leafs need going into the end of the season and into the playoffs! It'll be sad for them when the Jets eliminate them, but they'll go on a good run until then! :D
I'm actually happy the Leafs (hopefully) have the last piece of the puzzle for them though. Their team is very good now and maybe some people will start to acknowledge it.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
His run is about as impressive as Michael Hutchinson's with the Jets and Hammond's with the Senators. Not saying that's his fate but it's much more common for goalies to come out of nowhere hot and then fade away than it is for them to come out of nowhere and suddenly be a star.

With that being said, nothing can tilt the playoffs like a hot goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad