Jack Adams Award Finalists That Should Have Been Winners

Al Bundy*

Can anybody ever recall when a finalist for the Jack Adams Award that didn't win should have?

I think in 1993, Pierre Page of Quebec probably should have won.

I'm not saying Pat Burns was a bad choice- but considering that Quebec pulled off what was the biggest single-season improvement in NHL history, I thought he should have won.

Also, why is it that not all guys who pulled off huge turnaround are rewarded with the Adams Award?

Example- 1994- Kevin Constatine- like Page, he directed his team to a staggering single-season improvement, yet didn't win the award.

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
I'm too lazy to check, but did either of those happen to be coaches in their first year with their respective teams.

In the case of Page, Burns was in his first year and still got it, but the people in TO had been looking for someone to win something, anything for so long, they all voted for Pat.

I suspect Carbo has a very good chance this year of winning this. Second year, big rise in the standings. That's about what this trophy is all about. The biggest rise in the standings from year to year. What about Babcock for keeping his team from getting complacent and taking a dive.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Can anybody ever recall when a finalist for the Jack Adams Award that didn't win should have?

I think in 1993, Pierre Page of Quebec probably should have won.

I'm not saying Pat Burns was a bad choice- but considering that Quebec pulled off what was the biggest single-season improvement in NHL history, I thought he should have won.

Also, why is it that not all guys who pulled off huge turnaround are rewarded with the Adams Award?

Example- 1994- Kevin Constatine- like Page, he directed his team to a staggering single-season improvement, yet didn't win the award.

Well, in 1993, Quebec was close to a stacked team. He didn't look great when he got mad at Mats Sundin either during the div. semifinals.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I felt Sutter deserved it in 02 for what he did with Hawks!

After that he wasn't much but that 1 playoff appearance is all i have had for the last decade!

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Scotty Bowman probably should have won this pretty much every season after his Montreal days. This is another one of those awards that seems to be tabbed for the coach of the suprise team that year but consistent excellence never gets rewarded.

Al Bundy*

Scotty Bowman probably should have won this pretty much every season after his Montreal days. This is another one of those awards that seems to be tabbed for the coach of the suprise team that year but consistent excellence never gets rewarded.

Let's look at some of those:

1978-79 award went to Al Arbour. He had steadily improved the Isles for years. Funny you mention that "consistent excellence never gets rewarded," yet a guy who had done that on Long Island for years got the award in 1979.

Besides, Bowman won the award as coach of that godlike 1976-77 team.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not often do the legends win the Trophy. Bowman only won it twice. Shero just once, Arbour just once. In fact in one of the most rarest repeat awards anyone can do only once has it been back to back years. Jacques Demers won it with Detroit in '87 and '88. He guided them to big improvements both years. And all of this after they picked 1st overall in the '86 NHL Draft.

But I was shocked Quinn didnt win in '99. He won in '80 and '92 but to be honest I thought the Leafs improvement in '99 trumped the Senators improvement. Martin helped lead Ottawa to a 100+ point season but it was assumed they would be in the playoffs anyways. Quinn turned that Leaf team around as soon as he got there making that team not only one of the best in the NHL but possibly the funnest to watch with their high octane offense. They led the NHL in goals in '98-99

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Let's look at some of those:

1978-79 award went to Al Arbour. He had steadily improved the Isles for years. Funny you mention that "consistent excellence never gets rewarded," yet a guy who had done that on Long Island for years got the award in 1979.

Besides, Bowman won the award as coach of that godlike 1976-77 team.

But isn't that exactly the point?

From 74-83 Shero, Bowman and Arbour should have been the only winners of the award.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad