Value of: J.T. Miller

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
We also have a massive need for skilled forwards.... oh wait JT is one of our best!

Yes. But Benning has put the team in cap hell and a mediocre purgatory (at best). It is plausible that Miller will not be here for long, if at all, when the team is actually competitive. Could be worth extracting future value for him.

That said... the price would not be cheap. Likely a mid round first and a blue chip prospect, which I don't see many teams going for.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
No he has been the Canucks best defenseman imo. Him and Edler have been one of the defense pairings in the NHL.

Putting Schmidt and Myers in the same group is disrespectful to Schmidt.

Seems like every mistake he has made this season has been a whopper. 3 own goals now? Mostly not his fault, but casual fans will look at it as him being bad. He's been really good this season. Honestly the Canucks d-core has been playing very well as of late....Just keep getting let down by either the offense or goaltending. Seriously, the Canucks should be exploring the goaltending market.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Is Schmidt not good? I'm seriously not being facetious--I haven't watched the Canucks at all this year.
Schmidt's been good, doesn't get enough credit.

I would still trade him and Miller because I don't see the Canucks being competitive until the 2022-2023 season at the earliest and it suits our window better to trade these guys who will no longer be in their prime when we are trying to compete, and we have the time to wait for a blue chip prospect to develop into a roster player. Our hands are tied until the Jimwit's UFA signings are gone.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Canucks have a massive organization need for young defensive roster players or prospects.

Canuck have drafted forwards amazingly well but can't seem to develop or draft D (except for Hughes). I suspect you could trade Hoglander for a good D prospect.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone inquiring on the OP will not want to pay what most Canucks fans would want for him.

Contrary to the media reports, he's not the problem with this team, he's cost controlled at a decent cap hit, even if last year was an anomaly, and he has on ice chemistry with all of our best offensive players.

As for Schmidt, I haven't been impressed, but he, as well, is not a problem for the team.

So we have a thread for our top line winger, who can play center and takes faceoffs, but we never use there, and a top pairing D (TOI is skewed towards Hughes due to PP time, and Myers for his whopping SHTOI compared to the rest of the team). I'm not closed minded to trading anyone, but neither will be cheap.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Miller has put up points but his play has been shit, especially defensively.

Coupled with the fact he’s acted liked someone pissed in his cornflakes, I’d look hard at dealing him if you get the right offer.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I don't think Miller is untouchable. He certainly could be moved for a quality top 4 defenceman on a good value cost controlled contract.

I think Miller could certainly use a shake up, but a demotion to the third line should provide that.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
I don't think Miller is untouchable. He certainly could be moved for a quality top 4 defenceman on a good value cost controlled contract.

I think Miller could certainly use a shake up, but a demotion to the third line should provide that.
Who do you think he could return in a 1 for 1 swap for a top 4 defenseman? Or maybe better yet who would you target?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Who do you think he could return in a 1 for 1 swap for a top 4 defenseman? Or maybe better yet who would you target?
Honestly, haven't thought about it, but it's be a structural improvement to the team, and if moved before the expansion draft, there could be some good value players available who otherwise would not be.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Does he not play C because you already have Horvat and Petersson, and don't want to play him at 3C? Because if he can play C, then he would be an improvement over Gaudette, wouldn't he?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Does he not play C because you already have Horvat and Petersson, and don't want to play him at 3C? Because if he can play C, then he would be an improvement over Gaudette, wouldn't he?

To my understanding it's an Andrew Shaw or Rakell type scenario. He can play C but is far more effective on the wing.

Reactions: deckercky

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
He can play C and he is really good in the face off circle. However if the Canucks move him to #3C, then we officially have 1-1.5 top 6 wingers. Miller is far more valuable as a ppg 1st line winger than a 40 pt #3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad