Waived: J.T. Brown placed on waivers | claimed by Anaheim

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well... I can't argue with that.

Basically at this point, both Packet and Brown are just warm bodies that eat up around 10 minutes a night, while all the other forwards on the team are catching their breath.

I get they fill the "roll-player" roll, but I don't think it's unrealistic to ask for a bit more than that (like the ability to shoot at higher then a bantam/midget level perhaps)

Paquette is a lot better than Brown. Plays harder, can play Center and way better skillset. I don't think he's fully healthy though. He was out for a long time and hasn't quite been himself this season. They probably had to play him through health issues because they kept 8 defenders on the roster. That's probably gonna change now.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Paquette is a lot better than Brown. Plays harder, can play Center and way better skillset. I don't think he's fully healthy though. He was out for a long time and hasn't quite been himself this season. They probably had to play him through health issues because they kept 8 defenders on the roster. That's probably gonna change now.
This post could have been made every season of Paquette's career.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This post could have been made every season of Paquette's career.

Maybe. But he's been a lot better in recent years than he's now. I know he's not playing much but maybe a few games off could get him going. Paquette needs to have jump in order to be effective...

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Paquette brings a physicality that helps the 4th line. I like him over JT but understand the counter argument.

There are two slots open now right? JT and Heddy emergency call up?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Such a weird time to do it too. Start of the bye week so hopefully he didn't have big plans because he might be on a plane tomorrow for practice.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
SJW hot take alert!

giphy.gif

I really hope this narrative doesn't catch on.

In reality, several of Brown's teammates supported him, and he just couldn't score to save his life, while we have several players in Syracuse who look like they could do a better job with his role. On top of that, we're 2-2-1 over our last 5 games, which is below expectations for us now.

Whether Erne or Peca is the replacement, it's hard to imagine them not bringing more than Brown. I've always liked Brown, but he just doesn't feel like our best option right now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Problem is, Paquette's fully healthy about 5-10 games per year. And he's a difference maker in those games. As-is, I wouldn't mind getting him fully healthy, pumping his value, and then moving him at the deadline. To me, he's a below average 4C 90% of the time, and an above average 4C 10% of the time. I'd rather give Peca a shot. And we have centermen floating all over our lineup anyway.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
If he clears waivers, he'll be a good depth guy should he be needed. You can expect him to not make dumb mistakes as well as not score a goal.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If he clears waivers, he'll be a good depth guy should he be needed. You can expect him to not make dumb mistakes as well as not score a goal.

He's not clearing so hopefully Yan and Cirelli are healthy. Should've moved him for Jordan Subban or some other prospect stuck in the AHL.

TampaBayLightning

The Asterisk Dynasty!
Nov 10, 2013
Tampa
JT always plays hard and I respect that but he can not score a goal to save his life. Surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Claimed by the Ducks. The overall depth of this organization is clear. No one clears waivers. Maybe whoever The Ducks waive signs with Syracuse eventually.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He was a nice player to have around and I'm sure he was well liked in the locker room. Still though, not the type of guy who usually sticks around one team for too long. Wish him the best in Anaheim.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yep I like the guy a lot but as a hockey move this is fine by me. Hope he finds SOME kind of way to produce and stay up in the NHL.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Would be nice to trade one of these guys for a late pick like we did Nesterov. Or an AHL player at least, the Crunch are killing it with a young roster they could use a vet to help them out. This time of year you can tell who's going to sell so hopefully they can target a PPQB and vet forward.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Good guy, here for a long time, but we can upgrade there. Although i’m not sure if i’d rather see Paquette gone.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Would be nice to trade one of these guys for a late pick like we did Nesterov. Or an AHL player at least, the Crunch are killing it with a young roster they could use a vet to help them out. This time of year you can tell who's going to sell so hopefully they can target a PPQB and vet forward.

Do the crunch have any veteran roster slots left?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Do the crunch have any veteran roster slots left?

I don't know enough about Lynch to know if he played the required games to be considered a veteran. If they bring in a vet defender they'll scratch McNeill most likely so no issue there and for forwards Condra and Bournival are the only sure fire starters so there's room for sure.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
I'll post a link from the main forum in a minute. Wow I cannot actually believe we did it. This has to be someone's cup of coffee here. Either Erne or Peca. It has to be. Not unless we went and made a trade that no one expected or we are calling up someone that I don't expect.

Wow, I honestly didn't think this would happen..........

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Here’s the AHL development player rule:
Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.
Here’s the numbers:
Condra – 573
McBain – 505
McNeill – 281
Lynch – 272
Bournival is not quite there yet (250) because this seasons games don’t count, and since Bodie came out of four years in the NCAA he is only at 213.
So they have room for one more vet. Goalies are exempt from the rule.

Last edited:

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
First of all, really want to say good luck to JT in Anaheim. I've always been a big fan of his, and he is just straight up an awesome guy. It's hard to remember, but he was such a big signing out of college for us. It felt like he was a part of that first wave of players who wanted to come to Tampa.

That being said, this move gives us a good bit more cap space to work with, and space to try out the kids. I think Erne is more than ready to come in and blow up the bottom six. they need a little bit of a shakeup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->