Waived: J.T. Brown placed on waivers | claimed by Anaheim

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'll post a link from the main forum in a minute. Wow I cannot actually believe we did it. This has to be someone's cup of coffee here. Either Erne or Peca. It has to be. Not unless we went and made a trade that no one expected or we are calling up someone that I don't expect.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Here's the tweet

I'm kind of hoping it's Peca. I'll have to look for his faceoff stats but if he's good then let's give him a shot. I'd love to see Erne get a shot but in all reality Kunitz is just keeping the spot warm for another year of development and there's not anything really wrong with that considering how streaky Erne is.

What was the nickname we agreed on? Baby Hippo?

Reactions: DaBolts

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This is dumb. Syracuse is playing well and shorthanded already, we shouldn't be calling someone up. We should've tried to flip Brown for an AHL forward.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
This is dumb. Syracuse is playing well and shorthanded already, we shouldn't be calling someone up. We should've tried to flip Brown for an AHL forward.

To be fair, Hose Peca in particular earned his call up last year. He had no business going back to Syracuse any more than Gourde did. For Peca it's been 2 1/2 seasons of grinding it out in the AHL while Brown has spent has spent 5 seasons with us being a nothing more than a penalty killer who can barely score a goal by accident. If it's not him then Erne has sure as shit earned it too because it's been 2 1/2 seasons for him too. He's streaky but yet he still managed 3 goals (same as Brown) in half the time last year. Just think about him and Callahan raising unmitigated hell at the same time for a second.

J.T has outlived his usefulness for almost 2 years now. It's a tough break for the Crunch if we do in fact call someone up but it's more about the fact that someone in Syracuse deserves a roster spot more than Brown than anything else right now.

Edit: Or if we did in fact trade for someone (hopefully not Gudbranson) then it'll be interesting to see how the team shapes up

Reactions: Hinterland

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

So there you have it.

Like I said Hose, there's guys who deserve to be here more than Brown does. You're right, it would've been better to make a trade but I doubt Brown had little to any value at all. I have to imagine Yzerman tried to do a player swap first.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Erne or Peca is an improvement. JT has not shown any improvement on his shot selection in the last two years, but he is a good kid. He'll catch on somewhere.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
SJW hot take alert!

giphy.gif

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Players who have cleared waivers have higher value because they can be moved between the NHL and AHL (for a little bit)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
To be fair, Hose Peca in particular earned his call up last year. He had no business going back to Syracuse any more than Gourde did. For Peca it's been 2 1/2 seasons of grinding it out in the AHL while Brown has spent has spent 5 seasons with us being a nothing more than a penalty killer who can barely score a goal by accident. If it's not him then Erne has sure as **** earned it too because it's been 2 1/2 seasons for him too. He's streaky but yet he still managed 3 goals (same as Brown) in half the time last year. Just think about him and Callahan raising unmitigated hell at the same time for a second.

J.T has outlived his usefulness for almost 2 years now. It's a tough break for the Crunch if we do in fact call someone up but it's more about the fact that someone in Syracuse deserves a roster spot more than Brown than anything else right now.

Edit: Or if we did in fact trade for someone (hopefully not Gudbranson) then it'll be interesting to see how the team shapes up

There's been plenty of players in Syracuse who earned a callup over the years but had to wait till an injury to get a shot. Richard and Vermin were banging on the door but had to wait till we were ravaged by injury, Blujus should have gotten a shot but never did. Peca got his callup last year and he wasn't anything special, neither is Brown and he would be cheaper but we need the body in Syracuse and not sure Brown passes through.

Paquette has less points in more games so why not him? Conacher has cooled off a lot too. I don't care about Brown and he was leaving after this year. I just think we needed to try to trade one of those guys for an AHL guy to help the Crunch out.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
How about that, I did not expect seeing that today but I do get it and I trust Yzerman to make the right call now as to if and in that case we would call up.

I guess all these are possible callups.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
This is just Yzerman creating a slot so he can get a better feel for what he has internally before he makes any TDL decisions.

Or

Maybe another club wants to scout a particular prospect in the NHL as a precursor to a trade deal.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Sucks for Brown, but this makes us a stronger team. Time to give one of the Syracuse guys an honest shot.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Paquette has less points in more games so why not him? .

I'm sure at least a part of it has to do with Center vs Wing. Seems Yzerman places greater weight on centers, can't argue when it comes to these type of roll-player guys.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm sure at least a part of it has to do with Center vs Wing. Seems Yzerman places greater weight on centers, can't argue when it comes to these type of roll-player guys.

It's not like he's a good center though and if we bring up Peca he should be playing 4C.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
It's not like he's a good center though and if we bring up Peca he should be playing 4C.

Well... I can't argue with that.

Basically at this point, both Packet and Brown are just warm bodies that eat up around 10 minutes a night, while all the other forwards on the team are catching their breath.

I get they fill the "roll-player" roll, but I don't think it's unrealistic to ask for a bit more than that (like the ability to shoot at higher then a bantam/midget level perhaps)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Middle of the bye week could be a good spot for a waive I guess. I was very impressed with Peca last season. Brought great energy. A less skilled but more aggressive version of Point. Wasn't impressed with Erne but apparently he's playing well for the Crunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->