Prospect Info: J. Leivo?

van Riemsdyk

Jul 7, 2012
Etobicoke, ON
Can someone fill me in on this guy? I've heard his name being mentioned more and more lately, and that he's a great 3rd round pick. A part from my ignorance about him. Who do you see him becoming? His ceiling, and overall potential (As much as you can tell at this point.)

LeafsFIO*

he reminds me a bit of Rich Peverley. I wouldn't get too excited over him though, he's a good prospect but he has a long way to go from here. Maybe bigger but he's not as talented as Dale Mitchell was at this stage, and look at how he panned out.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
He is a jack of all trades master of none in the offensive zone.

Good shot, good playmaker, can be physical, good defensively, soft hands.

Seems to be a cross between JVR and Lupul.

He projects to be a strong two-way forward 2nd-3rd line.

Projects to be a two-way player.

mikebel111*

he reminds me a bit of Rich Peverley. I wouldn't get too excited over him though, he's a good prospect but he has a long way to go from here. Maybe bigger but he's not as talented as Dale Mitchell was at this stage, and look at how he panned out.

Mitchell was talented?

leivo has shown so much improvement this season. he has an nhl future and I think it will be as a 2nd liner

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
He is a jack of all trades master of none in the offensive zone.

Good shot, good playmaker, can be physical, good defensively, soft hands.

Seems to be a cross between JVR and Lupul.

He projects to be a strong two-way forward 2nd-3rd line.

Projects to be a two-way player.

That sounds beautiful.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mitchell was talented?

leivo has shown so much improvement this season. he has an nhl future and I think it will be as a 2nd liner

Not statistically.

2011-12 - 66 games 32 goals 41 assists 73 points (with Sudbury)

2012-13 - 65 games 29 goals 44 assists 73 points (with Sudbury & Kitchener)

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Not statistically.

I'm pretty sure I remember you using +/- as a statistic to gauge a player's value.

Does his +20 this year vs. his +2 last year make you think "he's improved statistically"?

snizzbone*

Not statistically.

His play in the AHL can you get excited.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don't think he projects anything like Peverley. Like someone said, more of a JVR type winger.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Not statistically.

Much better scorer in Sudbury this season than last, and his Kitchener club was a lot more defensively focused than the Wolves. Interesting that the Ranger's leading scorer Rieder, and first rounders Faksa, Murphy, and Puempel all scored more ppg last season than this, as did Lievo after the trade. How often does that kind of a reduction happen under the same coach with a similar end of season record? The expectation would be that every one of these players should have scored more.

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Some people will not like my comparison but in all honesty, Joshua Leivo reminds me most of David Backes. He's got size, he's physical, he's got speed (not blazing fast but fast enough), he can fight, he's got soft hands, he can play excellent defense (I believe he was voted #1 and #3 top defensive players for the last 2 seasons in the OHL?), and he's noted quite highly for his character and leadership in juniors.

Carlyle went with the Kulemin - Kadri - Lupul line towards the end of the regular season because Kadri gets 2 physical wingers who can both dig pucks out from the boards. Unfortunately, Kule's offense dried up these past 2 seasons but Leivo in the not too distant future looks like the perfect fit for that line.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I've seen him play during the Marlies game live at the Ricoh when he made his debut. To behonest with you, he was the best forward on the ice, while our top picks like biggs looked like garbage falling all over the ice.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Out of everyone you compare him to Dale Mitchell? Ok then..anyway I think he has the potential to become a 2nd liner at the most, 3rd liner in all likelihood. He has a good shot, more of a playmaker IMO though, I admit I didn't watch a lot of him in junior but from the highlights he seemed to look to pass rather than take the shot. He has a bit of a mean streak as well which is nice.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He was one of my favourite picks in 2011 because of the high risk high reward. He's really developed over the past 2 years and it looks like it's going to more on the high reward side then risk. Give him some more time in the A to develop more and I think he's going to be a beauty down the road. Great pick late in the 3rd round.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Good hands, he can undress a goalie, but not very strong on the puck.

Think a younger and less talented Ribeiro.

Umm no. He is very strong on the boards even as a young guy in the AHL. Good two way player.

He is going to be a good one. Of all the leaf prospects I think he has the most impact after Rielly (haven't seen Granburg yet)

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Not statistically.

Its a good thing some of us watch the prospects play then. Playing with the leading scorer in the OHL last year (Michael Sgarbossa) with Sudbury helped to inflate his stats. He had a helluva year this year and looked good on the Marlies. Definitely a prospect to get excited about.

noBSleafsFAN

Jun 13, 2010
Toronto
His ceiling is probably a 2nd line winger, but with his complete game, he could wind up as a 3rd-4th liner and still be somewhat effective.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its a good thing some of us watch the prospects play then. Playing with the leading scorer in the OHL last year (Michael Sgarbossa) with Sudbury helped to inflate his stats. He had a helluva year this year and looked good on the Marlies. Definitely a prospect to get excited about.

With comparisons to Dale Mitchell, Mike Ribiero and Rich Peverley I not sure some posters in this thread have seen Leivo play all that often. ;)

We're talking a big, physical forward that uses his strength to control the puck and plays a solid 2-way game.. The closest comparison to a current Leaf would be Nikolai Kulemin in style of play.

LeafsFIO*

He doesn't necessarily project to be a Peverley his skill set just reminds me a bit of Peverley except on the wing.

And I never compared Mitchell to Leivo, just that Mitchell was a better player at this stage of his Junior career than Leivo currently is. If Leivo makes it as a third liner or even a 2A winger, awesome. I just don't think he'll be getting consideration to make the big club for quite some time.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He doesn't necessarily project to be a Peverley his skill set just reminds me a bit of Peverley except on the wing.

And I never compared Mitchell to Leivo, just that Mitchell was a better player at this stage of his Junior career than Leivo currently is. If Leivo makes it as a third liner or even a 2A winger, awesome. I just don't think he'll be getting consideration to make the big club for quite some time.

Mitchell declined after his draft year. He had a successful final playoff in a powerhouse Windsor lineup, but I doubt he would have performed at that same level on this years Rangers club. I don't think Mitchell did anything as well as Leivo does, but then he wasn't really a strong prospect. A very stocky shorter guy with great wheels, but the 43 goal draft year made him look like a more skilled offensive player than he actually was. Leivo would have had 90pts if he stayed in Sudbury, and has a much better physical game than Mitchell.

I don't know who he reminds me of. I only watched one Marlies game with him in the lineup and he was kind of invisible. I like him more than McKegg at the same age though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad