Jérôme Gauthier-Leduc: Sets Q Record for Goals by a Defenseman in Consecutive Games

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nats Summer Camp invitee and Rimouski Océanic blueliner Jérôme Gauthier-Leduc scored tonight in his eighth straight game, passing Gaston Therrien's record from '79-80, when Therrien scored in seven consecutive games as a member of Québec Remparts. He now has 11 goals and 14 assists for 25 points... in 11 games.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
He's also had at least a point in every game he's played this season and has only posted a single point once.
He has seven two point games, two three point games, and a four point game.

He's really put his team on his back and earned wins for them, as they are a borderline playoff team IMO.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's also had at least a point in every game he's played this season and has only posted a single point once.
He has seven two point games, two three point games, and a four point game.

He's really put his team on his back and earned wins for them, as they are a borderline playoff team IMO.

Without him, they're not a playoff team.

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
Without him, they're not a playoff team.

I'm from Rimouski.

I wouldn't say we're not a playoff team since 16/17 makes the playoffs. However, the east section is unreal this year in the Q, with us, Victo, Shawi, Quebec and even Chicoutimi that all can win against each other. We won against the beat of the west section, and the last of the east section is probably better/equal with the best of the west section.

Gauthier-Leduc has been insane since he's been demoted from the Sabres. Rimouski has a tradition for excellent offensive d-men in the Q (Walser, Scalzo, Coulombe) but non had great career in the NHL. Hope he does!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Is he scoring as a legit d-man or is he scoring as a glorified forward? Just wondering. Hopefully he'll make the U20 team so I can see him play.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Gauthier-Leduc has been insane since he's been demoted from the Sabres. Rimouski has a tradition for excellent offensive d-men in the Q (Walser, Scalzo, Coulombe) but non had great career in the NHL. Hope he does!
I think (hope) that he has an advantage over all of those that you named because he has acceptable size.

He's also coming into a good situation in the Sabres organization, so that should help him too.
He will able to grow at his own pace because of our defensive depth and will be eased into the professional game and the responsibilities that come with playing defense at that level.

Is he scoring as a legit d-man or is he scoring as a glorified forward? Just wondering. Hopefully he'll make the U20 team so I can see him play.
He's a legitimate defenseman who logs big minutes every night for the Océanic.
His vision is just incredible and he possesses great offensive tools (blistering shot and great puck-moving ability).
His decision making was apparently poor at times during his draft year, but he has gotten much better from what I've seen (last year, he seemed to get better as the season went on).

^ tied into question above, how's his defense?
I think his defense is fine.
He was pretty thin when we drafted him (6'2'' 179lbs) but has gained weight (now up to 194lbs), which should help him at the professional level.
Adding more grit to his game would be welcome, but I don't think he'll ever be considered tough.

I'd probably liken him to the Sabres newest defensive acquisition, Christian Ehrhoff, at least defensively.
They have a lot of the same tools and I think Gauthier-Leduc will probably be of the same defensive prowess (aka capable of handling minutes without being a liability but will have the occasional hiccup or lapse).

Offensively, I don't really want to compare him to people because I absolutely hate making projections and don't want to just take a shot in the dark like most seem to.
People love to compare him to Kris Letang and his coach (the same one that coached Letang) said JGL was better than Letang at the same age (however, keep in mind that Letang improved a lot after he was drafted).
Will he be a 50 point defenseman in the NHL like Ehrhoff and Letang?
I can't say that with any certainty, but I think he has the tools to become something close to that one day if things go well.

Last edited:

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
I think his defense is fine.
He was pretty thin when we drafted him (6'2'' 179lbs) but has gained weight (now up to 194lbs), which should help him at the professional level.
Adding more grit to his game would be welcome, but I don't think he'll ever be considered tough.

My point exactly. The guy's defense never has been bad, he is good in his own end, but the fact that he plays a ultra-offensive role for a d (I've seen him go as the 2nd attacker in 2 on 1's) make hi make mistakes that every offensive d-mens will do, since you have to take risks to go attack. But I think that if he would play only defensive, he could be a solid defensive d.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Great news. Our scouting staff do a really good job overall compared to a lot of organisations. Great pick he's shaping into.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
what a monster just making more dmen in the sabres pipeline available for trades. What are we going to do with all these players??

JGL
McNabb
Psysk
Brennan
Weber
Gragnani
Scheistel
Mackenzie
Persson.

Thats 9 players with NHL locks after this season in Myers, Regehr, Sekera, Ehrhoff. What do with these players they wont be too happy resigning with an orginazation if they are so backlogged. Persson can swing on it, hes a bust. Psysk IMO still has some trade value and should be packaged for sure to upgrade our C position. Not jealous of Darcy at all...

Jumbo*

Im always very weary of players in the QMJHL..all offense no defense in that league.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
please this is so 1995, Q has become a more defense league in the last 6-8 years

JGL is a man among boys right now in the Q, as hot as he his right now he's in tough to crack team canada roster at the wjc.

Agreed. Stereotyping dies hard.

His goal streak ends at 8 games, though he did pick up another assist to run his point streak to 12.

nikyc

Nov 16, 2011
The kid is still doing very good in the playoffs. Does anybody know his upside or who he may be compaired to. I was thinking of selecting him in my fantacy draft.

Almember

Mar 23, 2009
The kid is still doing very good in the playoffs. Does anybody know his upside or who he may be compaired to. I was thinking of selecting him in my fantacy draft.

Hmm I guess Ian White or Sami Salo or James Wisniewski

Laserbeam from the point and he can run a power play easier

But, he make a lot of turnovers when he was press

And he's not very good in his own end

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad