Recalled/Assigned: Ivan Telegin fails to report to IceCaps (UPD: rights acquired by CSKA Moscow)

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Why all the sympathy in your last couple of posts? He walked out on his employer and apparently left the country without notice, while on contract, and all indications are that he wasn't being mistreated in any way to justify it.

Causing holes and headaches for our organization.

That's a d**k move by any employee, in just about any job.

Well, nobody's talking about Burmistrov so some folks have found a new Russian to defend. Because, you know, this is the exact same situation.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Why all the sympathy in your last couple of posts? He walked out on his employer and apparently left the country without notice, while on contract, and all indications are that he wasn't being mistreated in any way to justify it.

Causing holes and headaches for our organization.

That's a d**k move by any employee, in just about any job.

Well, first, we don't know the whole story. And I think it's childish to make so many assumptions with little evidence to back anything up(so many do this). He might not even play hockey again professionally. We don't know. I'm not saying what he did was right or wrong, but we have very little information to go off of.

I also see no reason to have any animosity towards Russians right now. The NHL put themselves in this position with the lock out and giving them chances to play in the KHL last year. If that doesn't happen, the KHL doesn't look like such a threat. I think it's an absolute shame that we could potentially lose so many good Russian players.

One more thing, Telegin, as much as I like him as a prospect, is fairly easily replaceable. Not that I like losing a prospect for nothing though.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Man, gonna be hard to replace his 10 points in the AHL this year. Realistically, he doing more harm to his career then anyone else

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Well, first, we don't know the whole story. And I think it's childish to make so many assumptions with little evidence to back anything up(so many do this). He might not even play hockey again professionally. We don't know. I'm not saying what he did was right or wrong, but we have very little information to go off of.

I also see no reason to have any animosity towards Russians right now. The NHL put themselves in this position with the lock out and giving them chances to play in the KHL last year. If that doesn't happen, the KHL doesn't look like such a threat. I think it's an absolute shame that we could potentially lose so many good Russian players.

One more thing, Telegin, as much as I like him as a prospect, is fairly easily replaceable. Not that I like losing a prospect for nothing though.

I have nothing against Russians.

If this was a serious personal matter (e.g. funeral, illness, physical or mental) and he approached management, they would have very likely granted him a leave of absence if they felt it was a reasonable excuse. It happens all the time in the NHL. Even for extended periods, like in the case of Rick Rypien. A suspension without pay, is very suspicious..thus leading to speculation about negligence on the part of the employee.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I'm sure they care so much when they can make as much or more doing something they love in their home country instead of being 1,000s of miles away from home in a place that you don't even speak the same language. Yeah, they really care that much. :rolleyes:

If they didnt care about the NHL why did they come in the first place?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I have nothing against Russians.

If this was a serious personal matter (e.g. funeral, illness, physical or mental) and he approached management, they would have very likely granted him a leave of absence if they felt it was a reasonable excuse. It happens all the time in the NHL. Even for extended periods, like in the case of Rick Rypien. A suspension without pay, is very suspicious..thus leading to speculation about negligence on the part of the employee.

Agreed. If it was a serious matter then all he had to do was ask the team and they would have said fine, go home, take care of things, and come back when you're ready. Maybe even for technical ( CBA ) reasons they would have to officially suspend him, the team still would have issued a release saying he's back home taking care of personal stuff.

JMO, the fact that he's suspended and the team didn't say anything other than he's suspended, tells me he left the team without permission. And coincidentally he has to take his leave and go home the same day he gets cut? Not buying it. He's back home crying and whining and drinking vodka shooters while contemplating how the Jets are unfair to him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's very interesting to watch this unfold. Not really Telegin in particular -- he is a fool IMO for reneging on his contract if he has any designs on playing in the NHL ever again. He wasn't in our near future plans so I am not crushed by it. What is interesting is watching the whole 'Russian player' evolvement unfold. It started with the Jets taking big risks drafting Russians in the early 90's, not knowing if they would ever play here. Watching phenomenal players such as Zhamnov, Korolev, Davydov, Khabibulin, and Mironov suit up for our team and dazzle. Seeing drafting Russians become commonplace. Now it appears to be coming full circle.

Drafting Russians has never been a sure thing. Guys like Radulov have shown that there was always some risk in drafting Russians, on top of the risk of whether a player would develop or not. Say what you want, but drafting the player who could potentially take his ball and go home if he doesn't agree with development choices is a very unsavoury proposition for an NHL GM. You only have so many picks so you have to eliminate as much risk as possible.

I think what players such as Kovalchuk, Burmistrov, and Telegin are doing is driving down the value of Russian prospects in the draft. I don't think you will see as many go in the first round. They are going to start becoming flyer picks if the trend continues.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Yup.....First 2 rounds are No Russian rounds IMO....Then after that take a late flyer if they are still available

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
If they didnt care about the NHL why did they come in the first place?

Here's the thing (and a lot of guys have said this) - many NHL GMs, agents and advisors influence young Russians into thinking the NHL is the land of 'milk and honey'. For many guys this isn't the case.

Often a kid's expectation is excessively built up by GMs and agents (obviously to sell them on the NHL) yet when in North America the kid finds he's treated like every other prospect and realizes he could be in for a long and rough journey to the NHL.

After experiencing such things, it should be no surprise that many Russians say 'eff this'......especially when there's a great alternative in the KHL.

Last edited:

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm sure they care so much when they can make as much or more doing something they love in their home country instead of being 1,000s of miles away from home in a place that you don't even speak the same language. Yeah, they really care that much. :rolleyes:

While walking out on a team is a dick move, it's true....

I still agree so so so much with the above.

Imagine a hypothetical world where the NHL and the K are flipped.

If I had a choice between going to Russia and failing to make the cut in the best league in the world, Or playing in Canada in lesser but still high quality league, for WAY more money, I wouldn't even THINK of going to Russia.

Why would he be here if he doesn't make the cut? I mean, he didn't exactly handle it well. I don't agree with the method, but I sure understand the choice.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
It's very interesting to watch this unfold. Not really Telegin in particular -- he is a fool IMO for reneging on his contract if he has any designs on playing in the NHL ever again. He wasn't in our near future plans so I am not crushed by it. What is interesting is watching the whole 'Russian player' evolvement unfold. It started with the Jets taking big risks drafting Russians in the early 90's, not knowing if they would ever play here. Watching phenomenal players such as Zhamnov, Korolev, Davydov, Khabibulin, and Mironov suit up for our team and dazzle. Seeing drafting Russians become commonplace. Now it appears to be coming full circle.

Drafting Russians has never been a sure thing. Guys like Radulov have shown that there was always some risk in drafting Russians, on top of the risk of whether a player would develop or not. Say what you want, but drafting the player who could potentially take his ball and go home if he doesn't agree with development choices is a very unsavoury proposition for an NHL GM. You only have so many picks so you have to eliminate as much risk as possible.

I think what players such as Kovalchuk, Burmistrov, and Telegin are doing is driving down the value of Russian prospects in the draft. I don't think you will see as many go in the first round. They are going to start becoming flyer picks if the trend continues.

I agree with this post Jet, and I would be extremely surprised to see this organization drafting any Russian players. I believe that the KHL is a very real and viable option for players, but unless the money were to absolutely dwarf the NHL, I think you will still see the best NA and Scandanvian skaters aspire to the NHL for a long time to come.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Last spotted cheerfully walking the streets of Moscow with Burmistrov, Kovalchuk and Radulov

Sounds like Burmi might have been a bad influence. Maybe reading too much into that as well. Makes you wonder tho.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Sounds like Burmi might have been a bad influence. Maybe reading too much into that as well. Makes you wonder tho.

Telegin was probably infected with the nasty Burmi virus (Telegin showed signs of it while playing on the Rock last season).

Fortunately Chevy realized there was no cure and protected the rest of the team by putting Burmi back on the boat to Russia and into quarantine in the KHL.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Telegin was probably infected with the nasty Burmi virus (Telegin showed signs of it while playing on the Rock last season).

Fortunately Chevy realized there was no cure and protected the rest of the team by putting Burmi back on the boat to Russia and into quarantine in the KHL.

LOL yes it was Chevy who sent them to the KHL...

No.

1 had the option of accepting Chevy's offer or one from another GM in the KHL (no real diff between a UFA choosing one team over the other). Possibly no different than Raymond choosing a 1year offer from TML over our 1yr offer.

The other seems to have moved home for personal reasons which none of us are privy too. He will not be playing in the KHL for at least 2 seasons, IF he is choosing KHL over AHL... Which we don't know if he is.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
So.... does "acquired the rights" mean he's free to sign in the KHL now?

KHL rights: his NHL rights are still owned by the Jets. He's also still under contract with the Jets, so this should be interesting - KHL has an MOU with the NHL. If Telegin actually signs a contract in the KHL, that would violate that MOU.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Best of luck to Ivan if he feels this is what is best for his playing career, wherever he may want that to be.

Last edited:

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Okay, gotcha. I was under the impression that there was one set of "professional hockey" rights, and now the KHL had them as opposed to the NHL. But I guess that's not the case. Still more developments to come, then.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
KHL rights: his NHL rights are still owned by the Jets. He's also still under contract with the Jets, so this should be interesting - KHL has an MOU with the NHL. If Telegin actually signs a contract in the KHL, that would violate that MOU.

lol I'd love to see the MOU violated for a marginal player like Telegin. I don't know why. It'd be funny, I guess.

Maybe he'll retire?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad