Confirmed with Link: Ivan Provorov Signs Extension - 6 Years/$40.5M ($6.75AAV)

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
MacDonald is buttcheeks but Myers is intelligent enough to not neglect the dzone.

He doesn't neglect it, but there's going to be a fair number of people (deady especially, bless his heart) who will be surprised at how Sanheim-like brain farty (!!!!!) he can be in his own zone at times. This is the kid who rushes pucks up ice in 5 OT games. He plays as relentlessly aggressive as almost anyone I've ever seen, including in his own zone. Which means he doesn't play much in his own end and can eliminate cycles quick, but he can make that big mistake now and again too. Just as long as he hits people and has a good +/-, he should be safe from repercussions though!

But he would probably benefit from a partner who can cover for him a little, or who can keep pace and not force him to play too much defense. Obviously, MacDonald excels on both counts.

Reactions: Rebels57

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
MacDonald is definitely low maintenance too in that he doesn't call for the puck too often when he is paired with a younger more skilled defenseman. Which is unfortunate because he's such a good passer and decision maker.

Reactions: Rebels57 and Magua

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All young offensive minded defensemen tend to be subject to mind farts, takes a while to realize what works in juniors and the AHL won't fly in the NHL.

What Myers brings that Sanheim has lacked so far is the ability to be a big body in the D-zone, now 6'5 220, if he has any sort of edge he'll help make this defense a bit less Mr Softee.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
MacDonald is definitely low maintenance too in that he doesn't call for the puck too often when he is paired with a younger more skilled defenseman. Which is unfortunate because he's such a good passer and decision maker.

No one timers and no backhand own zone passes would be a blessing at least. But I'm sure he'll find other ways to play way outside his means.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
They signed Barkov to 6 years @ $5.9 mil 6 months prior. A whole helluva lot better contract for a much better player. They'd been better off signing him for 8 years @ $7.5 mil. Florida is known for being cheap, if anything.

Ekblad also was an RFA with 4 years left. He had no leverage. Overpay for what? Even if a team wanted to offer sheet him, it would have equated to 4 1sts. Who would do that?

I’m not sure you understood my post. I was speculating on why they might have felt compelled to overpay, not saying it was a good deal or trying to justify it...

But in fairness to fla, even though people at the time thought it was high, Ekblad was the most highly regarded young d man in the league at that moment. No one knew injuries were right around the corner.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Yeah i think everyone was a little shocked that they paid for performance that was yet to exist

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ekblad is great and provy is great end of story.

O2Rl.gif

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Or lower with a competent GM who didn't pay out a deal based on the feels.

The best part of that contract is that Hedman signed the same exact deal (only 250k more per) on the same day and had averaged 54 points/82 games the last 3 years, all while being Tampa's established #1. All 8 years were UFA years.

Ekblad was a RFA who had only 4 UFA years bought. Yes, he averaged 38 points his first 2 years, won the Calder, had 15 goals, and was on a Doughty-type Norris trajectory based solely on that (apropos of this thread a little), but he was low-key one of the most sheltered d-men in the league who hadn't put up a positive statistical season since his rookie year with Campbell. They paid him like an actual Norris contender, or assumed he'd be one shortly, before he even achieved close to that status. Now, he's basically flatlined the last 2 years while he's being paid like Hedman who is winning Norrises.
Ekblad got Toews level of hype league wide and that certainly didn't help Florida. Also hindsight is cool and all, but everyone was on ekblad train. He may have gotten a million more than he deserved, but it wasn't until the injuries and Campbell being gone that cats fans started to turn on him, much less national audience.
However cats have done well since then. Dodged few bullets in kulikov and gudbranson. Signed some decent deals with yandle, demers and matheson. Even with Ekblad declining their d is still in decent shape.

However I have no idea whats the deal with three goalies though.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I looked it up, and it was actually GM Rowe who gave the Ekblad deal and GM Tallon the Matheson deal. But I'm sure Tallon had his hand in both. That Matheson contract was also given a full season before Matheson's ELC expired, with one year experience and a 17 point season -- 8 years for that. If ever fools rush in....

Have there been any other d-men coming off their ELC, since Doughty, to get 8 years besides the two Panther d-men? I can't think of any. Many 6-7 year deals, but not 8. Not a great track record!
Matheson is basically their Sanheim. I wouldn't be opposed to locking him to team friendly deal for 8 years. Skill and talent there, no reason to wait. Just like throwing 8 years at kony, I would do it in a heart beat.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Lol you really have it out for me cos i think Provo could get paid, huh?

He’s been relied on more heavily and handled it more admirably than Ekblad in his first two seasons and he’ll probably have a good third campaign too. I’ll leave it at that.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Wait no i won’t, I’ll also add this;

At the time of signing that 7.5 was top 5 defender money, the equivalent now would be 9/10 mill. 7.5 right now would be low end no. 1 money.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Wait no i won’t, I’ll also add this;

At the time of signing that 7.5 was top 5 defender money, the equivalent now would be 9/10 mill. 7.5 right now would be low end no. 1 money.
Your argument is poor though because you are using a contract that is universally known as an over payment of a deal.

He’s gonna get paid. But it won’t come until his third contract. He will get in between 5.5-6.5 million. I’ve started leaning on the lower side recently.

Contract needs to be 8 years though.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Same, except I didn't move my ass from my chair, I just spammed the bejesus out of this place :laugh: Man, that was a great day.

it's quite ironic because if you think about it, Provorov is such a new jersey devil type of player. Steady, not flashy, effective and oozes defensive quality and a russian to boot. He would have been the PERFECT devils pick, and was astonished that they choze Zacha over him.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Yes but the equivalent overpayment right now would be 9/10x8. That’s the market value Ekblad signed for. I’m not advocating for that for Provorov nor am i even advocating for 8x8 for him. I would like to get him locked up for 8 years at the lowest possible hit. The position I’ve been coming from this whole time is that 7-8 wouldn’t shock me. That’s literally it. Not that i hope for it/want it/expect it, just that i see it as the upper limit, but no one who’s “argued” with me about it has been able to separate that from their own hang up thinking i want to overpay our players.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, everyone who's argued with you has used numerous RFA contracts to value the first four years of a new deal, and the $9-10M would apply to the last four UFA years.
Given that Carlsson only got $8M, EK is looking at $10-11M, Provorov right now as a UFA wouldn't garner more than $8-9M
He's about the 20th best D-man in the league, he MIGHT improve, he MIGHT be near his peak.

So an 8 year extension that covers 4 UFA seasons will be priced somewhere between the 4 year RFA rate and the UFA rate.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Yes but the equivalent overpayment right now would be 9/10x8. That’s the market value Ekblad signed for. I’m not advocating for that for Provorov nor am i even advocating for 8x8 for him. I would like to get him locked up for 8 years at the lowest possible hit. The position I’ve been coming from this whole time is that 7-8 wouldn’t shock me. That’s literally it. Not that i hope for it/want it/expect it, just that i see it as the upper limit, but no one who’s “argued” with me about it has been able to separate that from their own hang up thinking i want to overpay our players.

Ekblad signed on 7/1/2016 for an extension that went into effect this year, giving us the same 1 year buffer Provorov would have. The 2016-17 cap was 73 MM and he signed for a 7.5 MM AAV, giving him a hit of ~10.27% of the cap.

10.27% of the 2018-19 Upper Limit of 79.5 MM would be ~8.165 MM. 8/8 is almost exactly the Ekblad overpayment.

Again, going the full 8 years for a Defenseman would be the most unusual part of such a deal. Please stop glossing it over. And using UFA rates.

*Note* I napkin mathed this. If I made an error, someone yell at me, please.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Okay reread my post. What am i attempting to gloss over? I get that it’s july and everyone is looking to argue about something (anything?) but you guys are arguing w me about points I’m not even trying make.

What i have said is i expect somewhere around and would be okay w 7x8. That would put him at 8.75% of the cap.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
And if the hang up is the 8x8 thing i have said several times throughout the thread that in my mind that is the upper limit. Which holy hell thanks for the math, it turns out would be the upper limit of reason!

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I blame it on the heat and lack of hockey. We’re all cranky and need our fix. Wish the NHL had a summer league like nba.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->