Confirmed with Link: Ivan Provorov Signs Extension - 6 Years/$40.5M ($6.75AAV)

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Seeing him grow over his first two seasons has been a treat. He’ll eventually be a perennial Norris Trophy candidate. A couple things I want to see more of from him in the near future: a little more consistency shift-to-shift/game-to-game, some more production on the PP, and better performance on the PK.

He’s a great player and I’m excited to watch him play his whole career as a Flyer (hopefully).

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Seeing how Giroux, Couturier and Voracek are regularly abused and under appreciated on the NHL Network and the main boards, it makes me wonder whether it’s just a Philly thing. Is it more a natural bias and dislike of the club rather than the players, and if so will we see the same with Provorov?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Seeing how Giroux, Couturier and Voracek are regularly abused and under appreciated on the NHL Network and the main boards, it makes me wonder whether it’s just a Philly thing. Is it more a natural bias and dislike of the club rather than the players, and if so will we see the same with Provorov?
Provorov entered the league with more hype than those guys. People were calling him a future Norris winner.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I don't see where they're abused, maybe "homers" don't like it when the rest of the world doesn't share their opinion?

Giroux is a very good ES scorer, great power play QB, but I think outside of Philly, most hockey observers could list 10-15 forwards they'd take over him.

Voracek is a good ES scorer, very good power play scorer, but lackadaisical on defense and has come up short repeatedly in the playoffs. He's not a top player by any standard.

With Couts, I think it's simply because he's only had one top year, the two previous years he was injured and playing with a potpourri mix of forwards. If he repeats last year's performance, he'll get talked about in the breath with Kopitar, Toews and Bergeron.

Reactions: hatcher

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sorry if posted:

Provorov & Simmonds led the Flyers in ENG with 3.

Filppula & Couturier were next with 2.

The NHL leader was Grabner with 7.

E. Staal 2nd with 6.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
so Hanifin gets 4.95x6. wonder how this will affect Provy's situation?

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Provorov is mediocre.

His puckhandling and passing has sharply and inexplicably regressed. After showing so much promise early in his career, I thought he'd become one of the top defenders in the league, but his development since then has been erratic. It's worrisome to say the least. Hope he can turn it around!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So you start a thread about Provy, and it gets closed. So then bump a 3 month old thread to post the exact same thing.

Has he played well this year? No.

Did he lead the NHL in goals last year? Yes.

Maybe development if not linear. Maybe he has some lingering issues from off season surgery.

Glad he is having a down year this year on a contract year vs last years. Maybe we get him signed cheaper. Maybe he only wants a bridge deal too. Who knows.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
So you start a thread about Provy, and it gets closed. So then bump a 3 month old thread to post the exact same thing.
I am simply following the request of the mods, who instructed me to bump this thread.
Has he played well this year? No.

Did he lead the NHL in goals last year? Yes.

Maybe development if not linear. Maybe he has some lingering issues from off season surgery.

Glad he is having a down year this year on a contract year vs last years. Maybe we get him signed cheaper. Maybe he only wants a bridge deal too. Who knows.

Don't get me wrong... haven't lost all faith in Provorov or anything. When he's on his game, he's a low end #1 or high end #2. However, I think it's valid to be concerned.

As you said, development isn't linear, and that goes both ways. While this slump will hopefully be over soon, there's no certainty where he goes from here. Maybe he hit a bit of a high point offensively last season and he'll regress to a lower mean (I personally don't see Provorov as a perennial goal-scoring leader for defensemen). Or maybe (and hopefully), he can round out his offensive game and boost his assist numbers. We'll see!

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
ezgif.com-add-text (1).gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad