Confirmed with Link: Ivan Provorov Signs Extension - 6 Years/$40.5M ($6.75AAV)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And if the hang up is the 8x8 thing i have said several times throughout the thread that in my mind that is the upper limit. Which holy hell thanks for the math, it turns out would be the upper limit of reason!
But there is the difference.

You are saying 8x8 is the upper limit for you. But 8 million puts him at the 3rd highest paid Dman. See how that doesn't add up? And AGAIN...8 million is UFA money. Provy has 4 years of RFA that he will be paid for and you seem to keep ignoring it.

If Provy got 8x8 I would be pissed because it meant we did not take advantage of the cheaper RFA years like we should have. That's one of the great benefits of building thru the draft...to have the cheaper RFA deals. And signing him for 8x8 wastes that.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
@Tripod I’m not ignoring it. I haven’t advocated for 8x8, all i ever did was speculate that it would be the upper limit of what he could recieve, which based on history is pretty much true. If he got an Ekblad contract 8x8 would be about it. I said 6 to 8 was my expectation, ranging from low end to high end. I don’t see that as being an unreasonable statement based on the evidence provided by me and some of those who disagree w me.

I just don’t understand how saying 8 is the max he could get has turned into “mdm you’re a fool if you want to pay him that much!!” when reality is i don’t think he should or will get that much but it’s not unreasonable to assume his camp could push for that.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I’m pretty sure we all also agree that the AAV will be heavily impacted by the length of the deal. If it’s a 3 year deal i think the hit will be much lower than the 6-8 threshold, i would expect a 4-5 range at that point. All of my numbers I’ve been discussing in regards to an 8 year deal, bc that takes him thru age 30 season which is the entirety of his prime. Personally i would prefer an 8 year deal but i could understand why others would want something shorter at a better hit

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@Tripod I’m not ignoring it. I haven’t advocated for 8x8, all i ever did was speculate that it would be the upper limit of what he could recieve, which based on history is pretty much true. If he got an Ekblad contract 8x8 would be about it. I said 6 to 8 was my expectation, ranging from low end to high end. I don’t see that as being an unreasonable statement based on the evidence provided by me and some of those who disagree w me.

I just don’t understand how saying 8 is the max he could get has turned into “mdm you’re a fool if you want to pay him that much!!” when reality is i don’t think he should or will get that much but it’s not unreasonable to assume his camp could push for that.

I did the Ekblad math because you started with this:

Yes but the equivalent overpayment right now would be 9/10x8. That’s the market value Ekblad signed for.

See how it changed? If you had said 8x8 would be Ekblad, I would not have responded.

The point, though, is that is exactly unreasonable to push for the one contract that anyone has gotten that is in that neighborhood in favor of the rest of the population unless you're arguing that he's Drew Doughty, which you have already said you are not.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

ok...Provorov could get 8x8 if Hextall decides to give him a bad deal and only looks at 1 comparable in the entire league all while ignoring every other Dman signing and also that only UFA Dmen get more than $7.5 million.

I would like to think Hextall is smarter than that.

Just look at your OWN numbers:

8 million x 8 years we could see if he was a UFA. And using your own numbers of 4-5 million on a 3 year deal:
$8 mill x5 years=40 million UFA years
$4 mill x 3 years=12 million RFA years
Total: 52 million for 8 years=6.5 million

That is why we see people saying they can see Provy signing around $6.5 million if he signs for 8 years right now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think any GM with any sense how to manage the cap is going to basically tell the player & the agent that they might as well just scrap that Ekblad contract off the table. Florida jumped the shark on that one & no one has really come close since then even older RFA’s haven’t.

When the beats started bringing up Carlson & other recent defensemen signings in regards to Provorov Hextall was quick to shoot it down & differentiate between UFA/RFA deals.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Guys i don’t know how to explain my stance any differently than i have so far. I see him getting around 7x8 give or take .5. I’ve said that several times already. I don’t know why any of you are arguing like i want to give him 8 when i have explicitly said i don’t want to give him 8. All of the numbers you all keep throwing at me corroborate the opinion i have stated from the start. That 6.5-7.5 is what i expect. I even stated earlier that some of you have talked me back from the ledge and brought my opinion down to 6-7 long term.

I can’t debate you guys on an 8x8 because I DON’T WANT HIM TO GET THAT.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
here-we-go-again-thumb-700x350-197387.gif

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
yeah, most of the year he averaged like 25 minutes a game .....just release him :sarcasm:

whatever they have to do get him signed for the next 8 years .....just do it

it won't get any better than his thoroughbred years (22 -30) :nod:

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Guys i know its a dead horse. I was trying to let it die but got sucked back in on a slow day. I come here to learn, and to glean new insights so i can update my opinions and get more knowledgeable. Let’s forget it and move on. My intention is never to derail threads with nonsense, so apologies around if that’s how some feel. Cheers

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

Hopefully ghost helps provy reach the next level. Kinda like Seth Jones exploded this past season.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I watched all provys goals this season and you can clearly see how in first half of the season when he was with Amac all his goals came from perimeter, then once he was with ghost he started sneaking into scoring areas or joining the rush. Seems like having a complimentary player as a partner didn't help his offense. How is that even possible?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I watched all provys goals this season and you can clearly see how in first half of the season when he was with Amac all his goals came from perimeter, then once he was with ghost he started sneaking into scoring areas or joining the rush. Seems like having a complimentary player as a partner didn't help his offense. How is that even possible?

I know, right? Logic would say he'd play back further to be ready for Ghost's turnovers at the blue line for breakaways.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I know, right? Logic would say he'd play back further to be ready for Ghost's turnovers at the blue line for breakaways.
Lol for some reason I imagined Amac in that situation and covering the wrong man on odd man rush while simultaneously looking back at Provy pointing his hand at the other player lol. I bet there has to be such a gif out there. After all it's one of his signature moves along with starfish and dropping to his knees screening the goalie.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't wait to watch MacDonald defend the 2 on 1 this year. The beaver slap of the stick followed by the feckless belly flop surely is a thing of beauty.

Reactions: Jray42 and Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad