U18: Ivan Hlinka in Canada?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

I think that is the way Ivan would want a "memorial" tournament held in his name. I think he was born in Sudbury, wasn't he? The other factor is that the Czechs could care less about this tournament in comparison to Canada, where it is considered more important than Boxing Day!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That's odd. Kind of disappointing, as it was nice for the best young Canadian players to get a guaranteed experience on the large ice surface in Europe. But then again, this tournament is bigger than Boxing Day so I'm sure it will all work out.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That's odd. Kind of disappointing, as it was nice for the best young Canadian players to get a guaranteed experience on the large ice surface in Europe. But then again, this tournament is bigger than Boxing Day so I'm sure it will all work out.

Not many in canada realize this tournament starts every year on boxing day. Boxing day is world jr day.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Hlinka memorial has become a big brend in hockey now, so no wonder Canadians want it. I personally think, playing on the small ice in front of a lot of people will help our young guys.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Indeed bigger than Boxing Day. So big in fact I couldn't find it anywhere on my 1000 channel digital box. These Bigger than Boxing Day tournaments are the exclusive domain of online streaming, 1 video feed and no play-by play/commentary. That's how the bigger than Boxing Day tournaments are handled here.

Interesting that McKenzie seems to think it will be called the Gretzky Memorial tournament when in Edmonton. makes sense. I imagine it will be at the new arena in Edmonton, which is quite the impressive arena. I have plans on making a trip in November to see the new arena and watch McJesus light it up.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Indeed bigger than Boxing Day. So big in fact I couldn't find it anywhere on my 1000 channel digital box. These Bigger than Boxing Day tournaments are the exclusive domain of online streaming, 1 video feed and no play-by play/commentary. That's how the bigger than Boxing Day tournaments are handled here.

Interesting that McKenzie seems to think it will be called the Gretzky Memorial tournament when in Edmonton. makes sense. I imagine it will be at the new arena in Edmonton, which is quite the impressive arena. I have plans on making a trip in November to see the new arena and watch McJesus light it up.

Weird name, given Wayne is still alive.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Weird name, given Wayne is still alive.

Not many memorials for people who are alive. No reason not to leave it named for Hlinka. If they want to name it as a memorial for a Canadian hockey legend, I would think that there are better (deceased) choices. For instance, perhaps the best hockey player ever from Western Canada, who just happened to die earlier this year.

Given that it's Edmonton and related to Hockey Canada, could see Katz being involved. He'll want it named after an Oiler.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
It should change each year depending on what players Wayner's pumping the tires for. First year would be "Johnny Toes #Captain Intangibles Invitational."

Or the Kyle Turris "Holy S***, Wayne Was Actually Sort of Right About Him, Though It Did Take 5 Years" Invitational.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Place Bell in Laval will have a international arena maybe that would be better then Edmonton.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Well, at least it's going to stay in the Czech Republic for every other year. It pains me to admit that no one seems to care about this event over here, it's held in a place that is rather remote and in the middle of nothing by Czech standards, and the media and hockey association don't seem to show much effort to promote the tournament. It's going to have an immensely larger and more appreciative audience in Alberta.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not many memorials for people who are alive. No reason not to leave it named for Hlinka. If they want to name it as a memorial for a Canadian hockey legend, I would think that there are better (deceased) choices. For instance, perhaps the best hockey player ever from Western Canada, who just happened to die earlier this year.

Given that it's Edmonton and related to Hockey Canada, could see Katz being involved. He'll want it named after an Oiler.

You mean Edmonton Oilers Memorial?

Holkoun

Feb 14, 2010
Prague
I think that is the way Ivan would want a "memorial" tournament held in his name. I think he was born in Sudbury, wasn't he? The other factor is that the Czechs could care less about this tournament in comparison to Canada, where it is considered more important than Boxing Day!

why the hell he should be born in Sudbury? :sarcasm:he is from Most, Cze

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Well, at least it's going to stay in the Czech Republic for every other year. It pains me to admit that no one seems to care about this event over here, it's held in a place that is rather remote and in the middle of nothing by Czech standards, and the media and hockey association don't seem to show much effort to promote the tournament. It's going to have an immensely larger and more appreciative audience in Alberta.

Agree with everything you said. I was afraid it would move to Canada permanently.

I don't like the renaming though. It would look weird if the name changed each year depending on wether it's played in CAN or CZE. Unless they want to change the name completely, which would be even worse...

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

lol, I don't think that Breclav is in the middle of nothing. Really not. It's pretty important place, at least from the transport perspective. It's very easy to get there, basically from all places in the CR and also from neighboring countries. I know a group of Canadian fans who made a trip to Breclav, just for this tournament, several years in a row.

I agree that this tournament was underrated and deserved better audience and media coverage, but it was totally okay there. it was getting better and better in the last years.

Last edited:

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah the coverage of the tournament has been getting better. Especially since you can watch the games online now live from the stadium. The fact that we won it this year will also likely increase its popularity, especially due to the lack of any medals from the U-20s.

I think I remember Lener mentioning that allowing Canada to host Ivan Hlinka during alternate years meant we could go there and play their national junior teams (or train with them?) on a regular basis (which we can't do now).

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Why are we holding this tournament in Edmonton when he never played on an Alberta team, just Vancouver. This makes 0 sense, and Edmonton is stealing everything always.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->