Prospect Info: Ivan Chukarov (2015, 182nd) – '18-19: UMass #13 (NCAA)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
CIhfNN7WoAAfoiT.jpg

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=135399

Last edited:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
That link has him as a 20year old forward? I know minimal about him except I think he's going to Umass

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Definitely a defenseman?
Listed as a F on Elite Prospects.

I like that he's a Chuk and an -arov. Good name.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Drafting a 20 yr old made me think Murray was looking for a body immediately for Rochester but if he's going to UMass that's probably better.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Wilderness defenseman Chukarov makes NCAA DI commitment:
Chukarov, a product of the Chicago Mission program, is a high skilled defensemen that creates offense every time he has the puck and has really blossomed in his second year in the NAHL. He had a rough start to his NAHL career, with being traded and injured all before he ever played his first league game. But in the 72 games since, he has really established himself as an elite defensemen and player in the league.

“This is a big day for me and I have dreamed about this for a very long time, so to have this come true, is a great feeling”, said Chukarov. In why he choose UMass, Chukarov stated, “To be able to play in the Hockey East along with getting a great education that UMass offers is a great thing. This is a great opportunity for me to get exposure out East and ever since I was a kid, I wanted to play out East!”

Wilderness head coach Corey Millen had this to say about Ivan committing to UMass, “We are very excited for Ivan. We feel his skill level is as good as anybody in the league and deserves this great opportunity.”

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
UMass Hockey Signs Ivan Chukarov To NLI:
AMHERST, Mass. - The Massachusetts hockey program has signed Ivan Chukarov, a 6-3, 200-pound left shot defenseman from Des Plaines, Ill., Head Coach John Micheletto announced on Thursday. Chukarov is the fourth member of the Minutemen's freshman class for 2015-16, joining fellow Illinois native Joseph Widmar as well as Austin Plevy and Kurt Keats.

"A mobile, puck-moving defenseman that can play both sides of the puck, Ivan will definitely improve our D-corps heading into the 2015-16 season."

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I haven't watched him but I've heard a lot of people favorably note him as a late-bloomer for this draft. Didn't know if he would get drafted but could pan out really well.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Royce: “Very good skater, handles the puck very well, good hockey sense. Four years (at UMass) to develop. He may come out early. He’s a ’95 born, so he’s 20 already. But with the development and the ability to get stronger, the college program, he could be a longshot.

“With a player like that, it might be a disservice, really, to get drafted. After he comes out we will be the only ones to have the ability. We firmly believe if we didn’t draft him in two years time they’ll be 30 teams knocking on his door trying to get him.”

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Digesting the round 2,4,5,6,7 selections today.

I read the Sabres insider email announcement and immediately came to this board because I saw the birth year / age. Murray/Sabres must have really liked the development trajectory he is on. I think it's a great strategy to have a year or two of free development in college before considering where he fits professionally.

I like the pick conceptually - perfect place for a low-risk, hi-reward selection.

Given he was drafted at age 20 / '95 birth, and is headed to college, and given the Sabres comments post above mine, how long does BUF retain his rights?

[ Woodhouse, dotcommunism, et al., I'm looking at you... :) ]

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Given he was drafted at age 20 / '95 birth, and is headed to college, and given the Sabres comments post above mine, how long does BUF retain his rights?

[ Woodhouse, dotcommunism, et al., I'm looking at you... :) ]
Next four years, which was their point of drafting him, as they projected they'd be competing with most teams to nab him as an UDFA and wanted to ensure his rights.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Basically sounds like they anticipated if he wasn't drafted that in a few years he would be one of the college free agents teams like Chicago and New York get to sign. :laugh:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Meant to chime in about him a while ago and forgot.

I've seen him play since his Midget days and you're getting an excellent player. I was happy to see him drafted as I've long thought he had good pro upside.

He's from the Chicago area and played his Midget hockey with the Chicago Mission before going to the NAHL. He's a defenseman but he was a forward a lot of his minor hockey years until Bantam Major or Midget Minor when he made the switch to D. Excellent skater, very good hands and creative with the puck. Hard worker and doesn't ever take a shift off. He's also just a great kid from a good family and will work as hard as he has to to make things happen.

He's definitely a bit of a late-bloomer but absolutely worth a pick in the later rounds. You guys got a nice player there, though he won't make the jump to pro for a while I don't think. He's likely a three to four year college guy, but his development has come long nicely the past season or two so you never know.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Chukarov opened his freshman season at UMass +2 with two assists in their 4-0 win over Dalhousie .. on-ice for GF1, GF3.
After fending off two Dalhousie power plays early in the first, UMass took a 1-0 lead 8:29 into the stanza. Plevy buried a cross-ice pass from Chukarov and Iacobellis from inside the left faceoff circle.
Plevy and Chukarov set up UMass' third tally of the night at the 8:30 into the second as sophomore Keith Burchett banged home a one-timer at the right post.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Chukarov's -9 with two assists through 16 GP and you can catch him in action vs the Notre Dame prospect duo (Hurley, Petersen) tomorrow night on NBCSN:
Saturday, December 5: Massachusetts at Notre Dame HE 6:05 pm ET (TV-NBCSN)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
HEA tournament starts next weekend and UMass plays BU in a first-round best-of-three. Chukarov finished regular season play with: 34 GP, 3 G, 5 A, 10 PIM, 34 SOG, -18.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad