Ivan Baranka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I found a really good article on Ivan Baranka over at the Herald.

Kevin Constatine have allot of praise for Baranka and thinks that he will be a 2-4th defensemen in the NHL. And that he even might make the team right away altough a year or two in HFD wouldn't hurt him...

Have anyone here seen him play? Is he really that good?

Tipped Off

watch him all the time

As a STH for the Tips I see him about 26 times a year :)

He's a very good defenseman and a major reason why the tips are #1 on the penalty kill this year at an amazing .885 clip. He's not overly physical. He's a good skater with pretty good handling abilities. He does have a pretty good lazer from the point, but takes way too long to wind up. At 6'2" 185 he needs to bulk up and play with a little more toughness along the boards. He has 23 points in 60 games this season, but only 54 PIM's. For a #1 line defenseman to have less PIM's than games played is pretty amazing. In fact he may be the only Defenseman who has not been in a single fight this season. The Tips will have 6, 20-year-olds going into next season, but I fully expect Baranka will move on into one of the pro developmental leagues so the Tips won't have that choice to make (all though he would obviously be a keeper for them).

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
the nice thing about the article ola mentioned is that baranka acknowledges he needs to get stronger and it is something he is working on, and the comments on how he's the hardest working guy on the team is great

Golbez

Excellent piece.
Baranka has always struck me as the 'great at nothing and bad at nothing' type of player. He's got an above-average level in every hockey skill (except maybe fighting, which I don't know about) but doesn't really stand out unless you watch him closely.

If the Rangers develop him properly and give him a chance, he should make a solid #3-4 dman for them down the road...or trade bait for another high-priced veteran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->