ITT: Name players who were HUGELY hyped on these boards who have done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Niklas "Future Norris Winner" Kronwall
Igor "More hype AFTER the accident" Grigorenko
Jiri "Biggest steal ever" Hudler

Just to name a few. As has been mentioned, pretty much anyone drafted by the 'big' teams here on HF.

stoll_16

Jul 13, 2006
Alexei Mihknov. I read the Oilers boards before and during training camp and he was hyped up so much. Is apparently the next great power forward in the NHL. In the two games i saw him play, he looked slow and clumsy and just not very co-ordinated.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Maxim Balmochnykh?

He was great at the WJC. I'm still in shock that he busted.

Another guy I thought that would be an elite player was Svitov. Now he looks like he'll top out as a decent 3rd liner.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Well two of the Wings guys suffered major injuries which hurt there development. Those who said Hudler was the biggest steal ever were silly though. Mind you I think Hudler would be doing better on another team (Babs hates him). Kronwall is the Wings number 3 dman and is really starting to come on of late. Every time he would get going in the past he'd get hurt. Grigs well Grigs almost died. The fact that he is even still playing is amazing. The Wings have had some of the worst luck with players and freak injuries. Kozzie, Konstantinov, and Grigs were all in serious car accidents. Fischer almost dies on the ice due to the heart issue, and Kronwall suffers two freak accidents his first two seasons in the NHL. I trully still see something special in Kronwall. If he can stay healthy I won't put being a reg All-Star beyond him.

Karamazov

Mar 6, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
Well two of the Wings guys suffered major injuries which hurt there development. Those who said Hudler was the biggest steal ever were silly though. Mind you I think Hudler would be doing better on another team (Babs hates him). Kronwall is the Wings number 3 dman and is really starting to come on of late. Every time he would get going in the past he'd get hurt. Grigs well Grigs almost died. The fact that he is even still playing is amazing. The Wings have had some of the worst luck with players and freak injuries. Kozzie, Konstantinov, and Grigs were all in serious car accidents. Fischer almost dies on the ice due to the heart issue, and Kronwall suffers two freak accidents his first two seasons in the NHL. I trully still see something special in Kronwall. If he can stay healthy I won't put being a reg All-Star beyond him.

I agree with your post. With the exception of Hudler (who I still think it's too early to say as this is his first NHL season) it's completely unfair and hasty to say Grigs and Kronwall have done nothing. Grigorenko was given long odds on ever walking again without pain, and considering what he went through, I think that he's made it back this far is amazing. He almost died and now he's a productive star in the second best league in the world. His situation is not the same as a guy like Morozov or Kaigorodov. As for Kronwall, he got off to a slow start but this is his first NHL season people! He's not Pitkanen, but I think he has a very promising career ahead of him, and has kept getting better as time goes on. With Grigs and Kronwall the hype was not unwarranted, and because they haven't stepped in and put up big stats for the fantasy kids they're written off as having done "nothing" - mind boggling. :shakehead

The guys I had the most hope for that haven't really turned out:
Maxim Balmochnyk
Jared Aulin
Jeff Taffe
Jani Rita

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Trent Hunter was billed to be a future 40 goal scorer after his FAST start his rookie season. Needless to say, it hasn't worked out for him.

Rickard Wallin.

Yanick Lehoux was another along with Jared Aulin that were hyped endlessly on these boards and never panned out.

HF Archives said:
Frolov and Aulin may turn out to be special players, but that will not be at the expense of Lehoux. Yanick has the potential to be great, just as the other prospects do. Make no mistake, Lehoux has alot to work on with his game, but he will be a star in the NHL. Here's hoping the Kings realize that and we don't see Lehoux in a future All-Star Game wearing another team's sweater.

I think that one is pretty safe. Heh.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Whoever said Matt Pettinger...

He was hyped? I haven't been around long but I don't see how. He's doing alright for the caps, had a great year last season and is putting it all together now.

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
one from canucks days of yore... I wasnt on these boards at the time but Bill Muckalt was pretty hyped in van city during his rookie campaign

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site

:clap: thanx - you saved me a lot of typing - Give Kronwall more PP time and also Hudler..I think they can get lots of points.

the question was ON THESE BOARDS - so someone that comes to mind is Yanick Lehoux ( more like Le-Who?) - he was so hyped..I belived hes the next Luc Robitaille or something. :D

The_Human_Atombomb

Sep 24, 2002
Mainz, Germany
Visit site
basically any 20 year old, or overager that lights up the CHL has been, and always will be highly overhyped. Everyone seems to have it in their minds that they were bigtime steals in the draft even though these players bring nothing to the game but their decent hands, or playmaking ability.

For that reason, I thought Brad Richards would never amount to anything, being the typical overager lighting up a high scoring league.

But I guess I was wrong.

arin1

Apr 30, 2006
Hudler has barely played more than 5 minutes in any NHL game, yet... I don't think you can judge him that much yet.

turnbuckle*

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Vladimir Evseev.

I think it was Dr. Chimaera who insisted he'd be a top five pick.

With a Russian theme.....

Svitov
Yakubov
Vorobiev (mike Smith, we miss ya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad