It's your call ... input welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFNHL Red Wings

Well gentlemen, although I have not yet uploaded anything to the server I completed the conversion of the files to the latest version of the Sim and yes it's now configured for 6 divisions. There is an issue however.
The version that has the 6 divisions and noticable improvements is only a beta test version and is still buggy. I already hit one in that it crashes when I try to go into 'options' (part that sets trade deadlines, the season year, financial meter, etc.) and says one of the program the files (one that came with the download) is out of date or corrupt :dunno:

Alternatively we could use version 1.3 but, on the surface at least, it does not look any different from the version we currently use though I image there are a few not so obvious tweeks in there somewhere but definitely no 6 divisions option.

My question to you is do you want to roll he dice and risk running a test version and any challenges that that entails or go will the more stable 4 division alaignement for one more season until the bugs or worked out.?

FYI changing versions during the season is not an option as schedules and other stats to-date are reset when converting.

Let me know.

HFNHL Red Wings

grrrrr .... someone turn the spelling and grammer checks back on this message board.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Well gentlemen, although I have not yet uploaded anything to the server I completed the conversion of the files to the latest version of the Sim and yes it's now configured for 6 divisions. There is an issue however.
The version that has the 6 divisions and noticable improvements is only a beta test version and is still buggy. I already hit one in that it crashes when I try to go into 'options' (part that sets trade deadlines, the season year, financial meter, etc.) and says one of the program the files (one that came with the download) is out of date or corrupt :dunno:

Alternatively we could use version 1.3 but, on the surface at least, it does not look any different from the version we currently use though I image there are a few not so obvious tweeks in there somewhere but definitely no 6 divisions option.

My question to you is do you want to roll he dice and risk running a test version and any challenges that that entails or go will the more stable 4 division alaignement for one more season until the bugs or worked out.?

FYI changing versions during the season is not an option as schedules and other stats to-date are reset when converting.

Let me know.

Why don't we try the newer version for the pre-season games and see if there are any major bugs.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'd rather go with the stable version of the moment. Since that means running the 4 division breakdown again, then that's alright for one more year.

I'd rather it be stable and have 4 divisions, then it not be stable and potentially screw everything up and run the 6 divisions.

Let the bugs get worked out and run the 6 division one next year.

HFNHL Red Wings

islanders said:
Why don't we try the newer version for the pre-season games and see if there are any major bugs.

My only concern with that option is that if I start doing transactions and updates to the newer version I may find that I cannot convert the files to an earlier version (1.3).

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wild GM said:
As one who REALLY wants 6 divisions, I say go with the bug-less 4 divisions.

Totally agree Greg.

Hasnain also has a valid point.

Another question... Can we get the realignment of teams right??

Eg East. Shouldn't the SE teams be in the same div as well as the NE teams. While teams in the Atlantic div should be split up relative who is the fartherest south or north respective to each other. I mean the Canes has to be one of the most traveled teams in the div except for may be the Thrash.

This is merely a suggestion. I don't know how much travelling affect the players either.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
kasper11 said:
Lets go with stability.
Drew has enough to do without adding an extra half hour a night trying to get the thing to work properly.

I agree that Drew has enough on his plate already and shouldn't have to worry.

I had just got off the FHLsim message board and while some people are using the beta to sim games they are encountering problems. Their solution is to perform backups everyday and copy and paste over corrupt files. Do we really want Drew to do this everyday?

Can't we upload the files to a new version when it comes out?

HFNHL Asst Commish

Perhaps somebody could find out if a patch for the new beta version that will fix the bugs will be coming out soon. We probably still have close to a month before we need to start the season and still be able to finish it in time.

If there's no timeline for a patch or update, I think we certainly have to go with a bug-free version.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
HFNHL Asst Commish said:
Perhaps somebody could find out if a patch for the new beta version that will fix the bugs will be coming out soon. We probably still have close to a month before we need to start the season and still be able to finish it in time.

If there's no timeline for a patch or update, I think we certainly have to go with a bug-free version.

Here ya go:

http://pub189.ezboard.com/ffhlsimfrm20.showMessage?topicID=75.topic

http://pub189.ezboard.com/ffhlsimfrm20.showMessage?topicID=77.topic

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Sorry, Drew...doesn't look like turning spell-check on is one of my moderator powers. :)

Unless a working patch is available ASAP, go with 4 divisions.

HFNHL Red Wings

Dryden said:
I agree that Drew has enough on his plate already and shouldn't have to worry.

I had just got off the FHLsim message board and while some people are using the beta to sim games they are encountering problems. Their solution is to perform backups everyday and copy and paste over corrupt files. Do we really want Drew to do this everyday?

Can't we upload the files to a new version when it comes out?

Thanks for posting the links Dryden. I too have read many of the posts on the messgae board and one talks about the fact that, like ourselves with the HFNHL, things are done as time allows outside of ther real jobs and life so those dates tend to come and go. Even if Beta 4 is released soon it still is not a final release.
In regards to uploading to the new version when it is released we cannot do it during the season. Whenever I change anything related to league configuration (like divisions) it warns me that the schedule and stats will be reset so unforfunately we would have to stick with whatever version we choose for the full season.

At this point it appears that stability is the preference (mine as well) so I will set-up 1.3 tonight and start processing transactions again.

Brent Burns Beard