It's time: Predict the winner, Torino 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinFr

Feb 16, 2006
Kalmar
Sweden can't win the olympics with this defense, it really sucks that Norstrom, Kim Johnsson, Kronwall and Tallinder can't play, all of them are really solid. Hope that Havelid can be healthy to the next game. Another man that I really would like to have in the team now is Forsberg, a true game-winner.

Anyway... 1) Canada 2) Russia 3) Slovakia 4) Sweden.

Last edited:

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Injektilo said:
I would too, except for the fact that if Canada won, the Russians here wouldn't shut up about how the game was rigged and whatnot. I mean, Canada would have to win by seven or eight goals for that not to happen, apparently winning by five is still suspect.

Same would be the other way around

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Finals winners bold : Quarters and Semis self-explaining.

A division, on left, from 1st. to 4th. B division, on right, from 4th to 1st.

QuarterFinals

Canada vs. USA
Finland vs. Russia
Czech Republic vs. Slovakia
Switzerland vs. Sweden

SemiFinals
Canada vs. Russia
Slovakia vs. Switzerland

Bronze Final

Canada vs. Switzerland

Finals

Russia vs. Slovakia

zarathustra1900

Dec 10, 2005
Italy
Well I am surprised.

While I am a big czech fan, I think recent injuries are going to effect their chances seriously now.

What I am surprised at is the lack of support for Finland.. I think they are going to surprise everyone. They play very well. I saw them.

Of course these things depend on many factors, but watching America and Czech play, I think they would have no problem taking USA.

Czech, well, I won't say :)

Finlands goaltender Norrena is HOT..I mean better than Brodeur hot...

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Can't see anyone beating the Canucks......were kinda like Brazil is too international Football and America is too Basketball and Baseball....generally speaking of course...

But if anyone can give Canada trouble it will be the Russians .........if Forsberg is truly healthy for the Swedes, they should be able too get in the Medals too....

It's certainly Canada's too lose at this point...

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Devonator said:
Can't see anyone beating the Canucks......were kinda like Brazil is too international Football and America is too Basketball and Baseball....generally speaking of course...

But if anyone can give Canada trouble it will be the Russians .........if Forsberg is truly healthy for the Swedes, they should be able too get in the Medals too....

It's certainly Canada's too lose at this point...

hmm, I'm sure that's a typo and you really meant to say the way the Dominican Republic is to baseball. The US doesn't dominate baseball anymore. Hasn't for awhile.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
SilverCup said:
So, where's the 106 of you now? :sarcasm:
Right here... I still say Canada for the win. Did you watch the second and third period? These guys are all very talented but they are normally the go to guys. Once again they have to learn to play as a team and take on roles that they are not used to. Next game will be a different story!

zarathustra1900

Dec 10, 2005
Italy
blacklabel said:
Hot? He has faced 16 shots so far. :dunno:

I understand your point reading the stats, however, I was there, and he was incredibly sharp and I am not easily impressed....(and I am a big Devils fan)

..with Niittymaki, well, let's just watch the results of these Olympic Games.

Place your bets!

best regards

Last edited:

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
Prior to the start of the tourney, I was expecting: 1) Czechs 2) Canadians 3) Finns. Or something to that effect. But, after watching some interesting, yet surprising, hockey, I've revised my estimates: 1) Finns 2) Slovaks 3) Canadians (but only if they step it up; otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Swedes or another powerhouse knock them out).

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Don't lose faith in the Czechs

They have had a tough tournament... losing Hasek and Elias in first game, playing very early second (back to back) game and losing tough game to Swiss... losing Jagr against Finland.

I don't think their team is quite as good as those of recent years, missing some unheralded players from years past (Dipota, Svoboda, Havlat, Sykora, etc.).

However, until Jagr was hurt, they were playing as good as anyone I've seen in this tournament. If Jagr can get back to near full strength and Vokoun can step up his play (like he did in '05 WC), they can beat anybody. Otherwise, could be going home early. I certainly don't think they look worse than Canada at this point.

Pumpeli

Jul 23, 2005
I believe that it's now or never for Finland, they play maybe the greatest hockey in Finnish history, and if they can still improve their game, i'd say that Finland will play in finals.. And win the whole tournament! But we'll see, Canada will be better when play-offs start.

shawn_kemp*

can we have an update? I wanna vote again!

I originally voted for Switzerland. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

zarathustra1900

Dec 10, 2005
Italy
Czech Your Math said:
They have had a tough tournament... losing Hasek and Elias in first game, playing very early second (back to back) game and losing tough game to Swiss... losing Jagr against Finland.

I don't think their team is quite as good as those of recent years, missing some unheralded players from years past (Dipota, Svoboda, Havlat, Sykora, etc.).

However, until Jagr was hurt, they were playing as good as anyone I've seen in this tournament. If Jagr can get back to near full strength and Vokoun can step up his play (like he did in '05 WC), they can beat anybody. Otherwise, could be going home early. I certainly don't think they look worse than Canada at this point.

I agree..they have played very well having lost so much of their talent.

It has been impressive, no doubt. Czechs play the greatest hockey imho.

They can adapt, and have..the Canada-Czech game as example..They played a very solid and smart game 2-3 periods...

The goaltending is the weakness, and lost them that game.

I honestly, I'm afraid, have no faith in Vokoun. Hope I am proven wrong.

King regards

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Russia-Finland. Russia winning in OT on a goal by Markov (Andrei), so that Montreal fans can celebrate in a special ceremony before a March game at the Phone Booth. The only celebrating us Habs fans will be able to do this season.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Just a quick reminder to all the bandwaggon hoppers here. I picked Finland to win the gold before the tournament began.

See thread #24.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
deandebean said:
Russia-Finland. Russia winning in OT on a goal by Markov (Andrei), so that Montreal fans can celebrate in a special ceremony before a March game at the Phone Booth. The only celebrating us Habs fans will be able to do this season.

Impossible, Russia-Finland will occur in the semi-final, should both teams win tomorow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad