Boston Bruins It's time for a Bruins HoF or Ring of Honor

Should the Bruins have a Hall of Fame and/or a Ring of Honor?

• Total voters

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am hoping this thread gets the attention of some lurking media members or Bruins staffers on Causeway St.

With all the new space being created by the Hub on Causeway, it is time for a Bruins Hall of Fame.

If not that, do what Montreal has done with a 'Ring of Honor' which is on the back wall of the third bowl at Centre Bell.

Cw8bIqzXcAQht0S.jpg

Perhaps the panels could be designed to do the same for the Celtics for the nights they occupy TD Garden.

Every one of us could make up a list of players and coaches who should be at least given that honor starting with Charles Adams and Art Ross.

Perhaps something could be worked out with the Sports Museum that could accommodate both teams.

The Patriots who are the youngest franchise in Boston have really done a nice job and it makes money for the Krafts.

Admission | The Patriots Hall of Fame

This is a no brainer - it has to happen.

Last edited:

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I agree. There are so many great players, coaches and teams that could be honored.
Surely one of the commercial development floors could be turned into a BHoF? No?

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I agree. There are so many great players, coaches and teams that could be honored.
Surely one of the commercial development floors could be turned into a BHoF? No?

Working with the Sports Museum might be the way to go.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
It's insane to me that this hasn't already been done.

The franchise is nearly 100 years old. You could induct 50 guys, and there would still be another 50 worthy candidates.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am hoping this thread gets the attention of some lurking media members or Bruins staffers on Causeway St.

With all the new space being created by the Hub on Causeway, it is time for a Bruins Hall of Fame.

If not that, do what Montreal has done with a 'Ring of Honor' which is on the back wall of the third bowl at Centre Bell.

Cw8bIqzXcAQht0S.jpg

Perhaps the panels could be designed to do the same for the Celtics for the nights they occupy TD Garden.

Every one of us could make up a list of players and coaches who should be at least given that honor starting with Charles Adams and Art Ross.

Perhaps something could be worked out with the Sports Museum that could accommodate both teams.

The Patriots who are the youngest franchise in Boston have really done a nice job and it makes money for the Krafts.

@Gee Wally Mission Accomplished :)

A Bruins Hall of Fame is long overdue - The Boston Globe

If the Bruins founded their Hall today, as they should, as they need to, it also would be after 94 years of doing business. Keeping in lockstep with the Red Sox is not such a bad idea in such a competitive sports town.

What of, say, the Kraut Line? Milt Schmidt, the center of that famed Boston trio that played here pre- and post-World War II, duly has his No. 15 in the Garden rafters. But not so his storied wingers, Bobby Bauer and Woody Dumart, the mere mention of whom nearly brought Schmidt to tears in his later years. The Krauts should be remembered together, and the perfect place to do that would be a Bruins Hall of Fame located inside the Garden.

“We’re talking about three guys, in their last game together before heading off to World War II,” recalled Johnson, “who we’re carried around the ice on the shoulders of the Canadiens. And the Garden organist played ‘Auld Lang Syne’. I mean, come on, that’s a Frank Capra movie.”

What of, say, Harry Sinden? He arrived here with Bobby Orr in 1966, was bench boss for Boston’s Cup win in 1970, then oversaw the construction of highly entertaining Black and Gold teams in the ’70s, ’80s, and into the ’90s. Coaches and general managers don’t have numbers to place in rafters. Sinden is in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, inducted years ago as a builder. His name should be properly enshrined in Boston.

Derek Sanderson? No question, a Bruins Hall of Famer. Same with Johnny “Pie” McKenzie. And Bill Cowley. And Wayne Cashman. And Brad Park. And Adam Oates. Some of them are just so painfully obvious. Hand up here for Don Marcotte, who didn’t put up big numbers but made his name shadowing the likes of Guy Lafleur, back in the day when coaches specifically assigned good players to keep great players off the scoresheet. Shadows now are forgotten history.

Oh, and Art Ross. Some Bruins fans only know the name because the league each year hands out a trophy in his name to honor the game’s leading scorer. This is the same Art Ross who was the Bruins’ first coach and GM in the 1920s. In their years with Boston, Phil Esposito won the Art Ross five times, Orr twice. The entrepreneurial Ross for years owned the patents on the NHL net and the NHL puck. There is no Art Ross banner hanging in the Garden. Inaugural Bruins Hall of Famer, no question.

After nearly a century, waiting any longer will remain a disservice to those few who meant so much to so many.

Reactions: Gee Wally and TCB

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The phrase “after nearly a century” makes me think - maybe have a 3-4 year lead-up? Induct the first 20 years in 2020-21 season, etc, until you have the folks up to 1984-2004 inducted in a big sendoff at the centennial. (I’m assuming 2004-2024 would be off limits.)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Cw8bIqzXcAQht0S.jpg

I suppose for those at arena it might be nice... as someone living in alberta im fine with retiring jerseys

Im not sure when ive ever cared about statues or shrines or anything like it other than a quick hmmmm... this is nice moment

Honestly i dont remember what any of the local arenas do... but retired numbers stand out to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad