OT - NO POLITICS IT'S SUMMERTIME - ( spring was cancelled )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Good luck Aussie.
Be well.

Be safe, Aussie!

For reference, Masssachusetts also has about 200 new cases of COVID-19 per day, fairly steadily, for about the last 3 weeks. Maybe a little more, like 250. Our population is about 6.9 million, so you're pretty close to where we are now. We're probably in the best shape in the US....but the US is not good in terms of developed countries per Fauci.

Thanks. I don't want to overstate what Melbourne's facing, nor undersell it either. Obviously 200-250 new cases per day is tiny compared to what some parts of the US and elsewhere have been through, but we never really had a proper first wave here, and it's now mid-winter, so I guess the situation is ripe to become much worse unless we manage to get on top of this quickly.

Some politician who's probably been watching too many superhero movies perhaps unwisely declared the city to be in a 'ring of steel'. It's not that extreme, but it's certainly unprecedented that every major road out of Melbourne now has a police road block on it preventing anyone from heading out of town without valid cause, while I'm currently sitting here 50 miles away typing this looking out over one of my local beaches in near-complete freedom. Weird times.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Thanks. I don't want to overstate what Melbourne's facing, nor undersell it either. Obviously 200-250 new cases per day is tiny compared to what some parts of the US and elsewhere have been through, but we never really had a proper first wave here, and it's now mid-winter, so I guess the situation is ripe to become much worse unless we manage to get on top of this quickly.

Some politician who's probably been watching too many superhero movies perhaps unwisely declared the city to be in a 'ring of steel'. It's not that extreme, but it's certainly unprecedented that every major road out of Melbourne now has a police road block on it preventing anyone from heading out of town without valid cause, while I'm currently sitting here 50 miles away typing this looking out over one of my local beaches in near-complete freedom. Weird times.
It is good to be in an area with few infections. British Colombia is in a good place so far. I am still cautious about my surroundings just to be sure. It looks like Melbourne is determined to stop this in it’s tracks. Good to see an area show that determination.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The big issue in the US is you simply can't seal off a state's border - A governor could try but a US Federal Judge could block it. This was a huge issue in New York City which shares a border with New Jersey.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
9am.
do you guys take an 8 year old into cumbies during this pandemic or leave her in the truck playing games on the phone for a couple mins??

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
This is a true story - I just don't understand people. This reminds me of a member here that laughed in the face of COVID.

37-year-old Port Clinton war vet dies from COVID-19 complications on Fourth of July

107803479_3366096446743249_7011809119206311426_n.jpg

Reactions: Spooner st

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
That's a Darwin Award

Could you explain, "That's a Darwin Award?"

While a Darwin Award suggests that someone is stupid. In this case, not wearing a mask during a COVID pandemic starts at the top and has a million American followers doing the same. Are you suggesting they are all stupid? I might agree.

Please explain, thanks

Reactions: lopey

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Could you explain, "That's a Darwin Award?"

While a Darwin Award suggests that someone is stupid. In this case, not wearing a mask during a COVID pandemic starts at the top and has a million American followers doing the same. Are you suggesting they are all stupid? I might agree.

Please explain, thanks
Yes, we are suggesting he's stupid, because he...well was

Reactions: Ladyfan

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Guys just be patient. Maybe once we’re up to 500k deaths, the pain and torture of putting a piece of fabric over one’s mouth will be worth the suffering.

Personally, I’m tired of hearing about “individuals freedoms” and how people should be able to decide on mitigating the risk themselves.

It’s blatantly obvious that a wide swath of these anti-maskers don’t acknowledge or accept the risk at all.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Guys just be patient. Maybe once we’re up to 500k deaths, the pain and torture of putting a piece of fabric over one’s mouth will be worth the suffering.

Personally, I’m tired of hearing about “individuals freedoms” and how people should be able to decide on mitigating the risk themselves.

It’s blatantly obvious that a wide swath of these anti-maskers doesn’t acknowledge or accept the risk at all.

It is "harmless" a "hoax" "it will go away soon" "open up the country" "open the schools" "Dr. Fauci doesn't know what he is talking about"

Are we tried of winning?

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It is "harmless" a "hoax" "it will go away soon" "open up the country" "open the schools" "Dr. Fauci doesn't know what he is talking about"

Are we tried of winning?
Well I am tired. I can't post it here but some of you understand what I mean. I have written 2020 off. There is no hope for it.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
come on. cheer up. august 1 we will have 6 hockey games a day.
I will be working for some of them.

I don't have a good feel about the games. I hope I am wrong but can't help the "dark cloud" feeling. (no I am not Eeyore).

I will watch the games when I can..

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I will be working for some of them

I don't have a good feel about the games. I hope I am wrong but can't help the "dark cloud" feeling. (no I am not Eeyore).

I will watch.

do not watch the news. trust me. you will feel so much better. they only tell the bad side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad