OT - NO POLITICS IT'S SUMMERTIME - ( spring was cancelled )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
107737216_10222520695469892_4359584604090506099_n.jpg

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Our kids school is going to offer a remote learning option next year..good news as we have been researching how to officially register for home school with the state. We really liked the flexibility of last year and it will nice to not have to do it all ourselves
I am sure more schools we have to get creative. It is good that they are doing this because if the virus comes roaring back they need a plan.

Reactions: Over the volcano

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Imagine being more scared of rain than you are a pandemic that you’ve allowed to kill what will be at least a couple hundred thousand people in less than a years time

Couldn’t be me

And I don’t wanna hear any defense of our pandemic response, please spare me when we are so far and away the worst in the civilized world right now when it comes to covid management.

Objectively speaking I do not know how we can be considered a first world country right now when you look at our “peers”

I’m glad the rally got cancelled. And that’s from a public health standpoint. It shouldn’t be happening period. Are people out of their f***ing minds? Do we not see what’s happening here compared to other places?

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Our kids school is going to offer a remote learning option next year..good news as we have been researching how to officially register for home school with the state. We really liked the flexibility of last year and it will nice to not have to do it all ourselves

In all honesty Im glad my kids are no longer in school. Myson will be starting his PHD in September but thats minimal on campus lab work.
If my kids were still little or god forbid sick I dont know what I’d do.
Most likely try everything I could to keep them out until there was something in place that appealed to my common sense.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
In all honesty Im glad my kids are no longer in school. Myson will be starting his PHD in September but thats minimal on campus lab work.
Most likely try everything I could to keep them out until there was something in place that appealed to my common sense.
I agree. I feel bad for parents that have to deal with all of this and worry about working as well. I hope all of the schools are taking a hard look at this and putting plans together to deal with all of the issues.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Melbourne residents will be locked down from midnight on Wednesday. It is both easier and much harder this time around.

Easier because remote working routines have already been established and because, this time, we know what to expect. And harder, because we know what to expect.

Gone is the optimism that powered the first Australia-wide lockdown in March, where people spoke of flattening the curve and experimented with baking sourdough and bought jigsaw puzzles for their children after the prime minister declared them “absolutely essential”.

The curve has flattened, bent, and bounced back up. The jigsaw puzzles have all been completed, and children who were prepared to go along with the first seven-week lockdown being a fun adventure are now anxious. Holidays were cancelled, again.

'This lockdown seems different': second time around, Melbourne is on edge

Hello, your Aussie reporter on the ground here. Thank God, I don't live in Melbourne. My town is approx. 45 miles away. Which isn't much but it might just be enough. First a little demography - the state of Victoria is very Melbourne-centric. Out of a population of 6.6 million, 5 million live in Melbourne. The next largest place - mine - has just 260,000. So there's a massive difference between the relatively densely-peopled capital and the 80,000 sq miles of quite empty countryside.

When the pandemic first hit we went into strict state-wide lockdown through late March to mid May. This did the trick and our caseload of infected people, which was never very big anyway, reduced to a tiny amount. We got to the point where we all-but eliminated community transmission of the virus and the only new cases we were getting were from people bringing it with them on flights from overseas. All overseas arrivals, whether sick or not, were placed in mandatory 2-week quarantines in hotels in Melbourne.

And that's where it's all gone wrong. By late May we'd started to ease restrictions and people had much more freedom of movement and association. There were still limitations and social distancing rules enforced in public places, but we were on the path to semi-normality, with restaurants, gyms etc. starting to re-open. But the hotel quarantine was completely screwed up. Instead of using professionals to guard the hotels - be they health personnel, police or army - the state government skimped and used untrained, unqualified private security guards. Through sloppy work and hygiene practices by early June some of them caught Covid-19 from the people who had it in the hotels and spread it to their families and other workplaces, right at the time when people were starting to gather in larger groups again. Before anyone really knew what had happened it was back out in the Melbourne suburbs again.

It's now got to the point where there are over 200 new cases a day in Melbourne. And it is indeed almost entirely in Melbourne. We've had a very few isolated cases in the regional areas, but all the big increases and outbreaks are in the capital. So we've locked down the entire Melbourne metropolitan area and people there are back to being housebound except for reasons of work, education, essential shopping, care or exercise. People otherwise can't leave Melbourne, and we on the outside can't enter in, but are otherwise free to carry on relatively free lives. The state has literally been divided between the city and country folk. Hopefully this works and in time the numbers go down again and the outbreak is contained to Melbourne alone.

As the article says, it's going to be really interesting to see how people cope with a second strict lockdown. A lot of people's goodwill, discipline and resiliency have been depleted not only by the first one, but by the fact that the same government that is now shutting people back up was largely responsible for the new outbreak that has necessitated doing so. People are going to really struggle with this, especially children and teenagers. It's a long road ahead.

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Be safe, Aussie!

For reference, Masssachusetts also has about 200 new cases of COVID-19 per day, fairly steadily, for about the last 3 weeks. Maybe a little more, like 250. Our population is about 6.9 million, so you're pretty close to where we are now. We're probably in the best shape in the US....but the US is not good in terms of developed countries per Fauci.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

my wife does not work so we are lucky to be able to choose what we want to do. The kids don’t seem to miss school that much so we are going to keep being at home and having outdoor play dates. I know it’s a privileged response but we are in a good position to keep the kids out of school and away from the risks especially since one has mild asthma.

We moved from MA to VT last year and it is really paying off more and more. Don’t miss that MA mortgage and the stress that went into serving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->