OT - NO POLITICS IT'S SUMMERTIME - ( spring was cancelled )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Right across the street from me

Wit’s End

Claim to fame: The Inman Square cocktail bar offered live music, intensely competitive trivia nights, Taco Tuesdays, games, and bar snacks. Until recently, it also offered coronavirus antibody tests.

Farewell message: A farewell video states that “the impact of such an extended shut-down was just too great to overcome” and encourages regulars to “keep the Wit’s spirit in mind. . . . leave your pretenses at the door, be true to yourself, and enjoy the time with your friends and loved ones.

I am back in Cambridge for the first time in over 3 months and it still is a ghost town. Another bar still has their St Pat's Day display up.

Wit's End
5 hrs ·
Friends, sadly, Wit’s End will not be reopening. The impact of such an extended shut-down was just too great to overcome.

I want to thank all of you for making the last 2 ½ years so enjoyable. Over the years, you truly embraced Wit’s End’s challenge of “engagement” whether it be solving riddles on the chalkboards, playing games, participating in the most competitive trivia night around, spending hours on the movie wall and Scrabble bar, or just having scintillating conversations with friends and family. Your enthusiasm for all things Wit’s End… our cocktails, our food and our general way... still humbles me.

As you frequent other neighborhood bars and restaurants, please keep the Wit’s spirit in mind - leave your pretenses at the door, be true to yourself and enjoy the time with your friends and loved ones - even if from a comfortable 6 foot, masked distance!

Stay safe and I’ll see you around Inman!

Last edited:

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Well see @McGarnagle I was told by a manager to take more of a leader role and when I did I was told not to by a supervisor, then later was threatened with a write up without an explanation.

She has actually done much worse than what shes said/done to me. Apparently she has called a coworker of mine "pinche menso" and other things. I hope HE goes to management about that cuz the more the better...........

Like ALL management has noticed a change in my work ethic and I got 2 people who just became supervisors flexing and hassling not only me but others

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Well see @McGarnagle I was told by a manager to take more of a leader role and when I did I was told not to by a supervisor, then later was threatened with a write up without an explanation.

She has actually done much worse than what shes said/done to me. Apparently she has called a coworker of mine "pinche menso" and other things. I hope HE goes to management about that cuz the more the better...........

Like ALL management has noticed a change in my work ethic and I got 2 people who just became supervisors flexing and hassling not only me but others

New supervisors are always the worst because they get on this power trip like they're important or whatever. Usually HR and corporate will give them a talking to, and if the behavior pattern continues, keep note of specific incidents and then report again.

Reactions: lopey and Scruffy

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
upload_2020-6-22_18-26-37.jpeg

One of the cool things about being an IBEW electrician is the cool stickers we have. Almost every Local has stickers, and they are highly sought after and traded by a great many of us. Since I became an electrician in 2000, I’ve accumulated stickers from Locals all over the US and Canada. Some I’ve acquired from guys that were working here in the early 2000s on the Big Dig, many others were acquired from fellow “tramps” during my almost two years on the road during the recession.

Anyways, there’s a fb group for IBEW sticker collectors, and I sent a couple of Local 103 stickers to a brother in Las Vegas, and got these in return. One of the stickers I sent was our “Bruins” sticker. I love the sports-themed ones.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
View attachment 351064
One of the cool things about being an IBEW electrician is the cool stickers we have. Almost every Local has stickers, and they are highly sought after and traded by a great many of us. Since I became an electrician in 2000, I’ve accumulated stickers from Locals all over the US and Canada. Some I’ve acquired from guys that were working here in the early 2000s on the Big Dig, many others were acquired from fellow “tramps” during my almost two years on the road during the recession.

Anyways, there’s a fb group for IBEW sticker collectors, and I sent a couple of Local 103 stickers to a brother in Las Vegas, and got these in return. One of the stickers I sent was our “Bruins” sticker. I love the sports-themed ones.
upload_2020-6-22_18-51-58.png

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

:thumbu: :thumbu: :thumbu: :thumbu:

I checked out Local 1228’s website and I love the logo. If you have or ever find a 1228 sticker, I would be more than happy to trade three sports-themed 103 stickers that I’m positive you’d like if you’re interested in that sort of thing.

As always, thank you for what you bring to this group, brother.

Reactions: Fenway

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Had a colonoscopy Friday. The prep and starvation 30 hours previous to the procedure were worse, at least for the scope I was put under anesthesia & it turned out to be the best sleep I've had in years. The doc found a small growth at the top of the colon & removed it for a biopsy, I have not heard from the hospital so I'm sure it is OK. He also discovered I have diverticulosis which means it could turn into diverticulitis so he wants me to try a high fiber diet or take something like Metamucil.

Afterwards my sister & I went to the 99 for lunch. The steak tips are awesome there!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Had a colonoscopy Friday. The prep and starvation 30 hours previous to the procedure were worse, at least for the scope I was put under anesthesia & it turned out to be the best sleep I've had in years. The doc found a small growth at the top of the colon & removed it for a biopsy, I have not heard from the hospital so I'm sure it is OK. He also discovered I have diverticulosis which means it could turn into diverticulitis so he wants me to try a high fiber diet or take something like Metamucil.

Afterwards my sister & I went to the 99 for lunch. The steak tips are awesome there!

Welcome to the David Backes Colon Club! I'm sure you've found out googling that it's very common to develop diverticula by the time you reach 70 or 80, and most of the time they don't get angry. But fiber's always a good thing - as is the 99. It's been so long, I forget what I get there!

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Welcome to the David Backes Colon Club! I'm sure you've found out googling that it's very common to develop diverticula by the time you reach 70 or 80, and most of the time they don't get angry. But fiber's always a good thing - as is the 99. It's been so long, I forget what I get there!

I'm not that old :p: According to WebMd I'm at the right age for developing diverticulosis (60, and I'm 57)

Reactions: talkinaway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: rfournier103

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Replaced my battery today. Thumbs so far down to Dodge for putting the battery on a tray buried behind a wheel well. What should have been 10 minutes was over an hour.

aaaaand the battery warning light still came on once the car started up, which leads me to believe it’s the alternator. Which is so much expensive. Not only have batteries double in price, but alternators seemed to have tripled since the last time i bought one

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am posting this more for me than anything

It was 15 weeks ago the Bruins last played

14 weeks ago I fled to my family's property in Hampton, NH and only today returned to Cambridge to do a lot of laundry and actually get some summer clothing. Cambridge feels like a ghost town with Harvard and MIT shuttered and it was jarring to see a couple of closed bars still displaying their St. Patrick's Day signs.

Last Saturday I worked a TV illusion as I worked the Belmont in New York for NBC and it was shocking that one of the most famous horse races in the world in person felt like the 9th Race at Suffolk Downs on a Wednesday

If hockey resumes it will be just as empty as the Belmont was but millions will be watching.

I pray that years from now people don't look at 2020 as the good old days

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It really is. I read the first five parts before dinner. I’ll read the rest before bed.

I’ve always thought Tom Verducci was a great writer. Best story I’ve read in Sports Illustrated in a long time.

@rfournier103 It captures the Boston of 100 years ago that shaped the city for generations.

What is now called the Red Line opened in 1912 and connected Harvard Sq in Cambridge with Park Street and much to the horror of the Harvard people that funded it was extended to South Boston in 1917 (Dorchester would come a decade later)

But the subway went to South Boston to make people forget a horrific tragedy in 1916 that politicians and media tried to erase.

Summer Street Bridge disaster - Wikipedia.

On This Day In 1916, The Unthinkable Happened In Massachusetts

@Alicat were you aware of this as I know you are a student of Boston history.

I grew up in the tail end of the Boston Irish controlling the city and inner suburbs and it all revolved around 'Lake Street' in Brighton where the Archdiocese of Boston built a palace. Life for most families revolved around their parish and it stretched from Newton to Dorchester.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I am posting this more for me than anything

It was 15 weeks ago the Bruins last played

14 weeks ago I fled to my family's property in Hampton, NH and only today returned to Cambridge to do a lot of laundry and actually get some summer clothing. Cambridge feels like a ghost town with Harvard and MIT shuttered and it was jarring to see a couple of closed bars still displaying their St. Patrick's Day signs.

Last Saturday I worked a TV illusion as I worked the Belmont in New York for NBC and it was shocking that one of the most famous horse races in the world in person felt like the 9th Race at Suffolk Downs on a Wednesday

If hockey resumes it will be just as empty as the Belmont was but millions will be watching.

I pray that years from now people don't look at 2020 as the good old days

Heres my hope. We, or I, refer to the generation before me as The Greatest Generation. They became that because of great and at times overwhelming things. The Depression and World War II.

They changed , adapted and persevered. Thats what made them and how they earned the title ‘Greatest’.

This generation now, the one that comes after me, also has overwhelming things to live through and overcome and build upon to make the world a better place.

I hope to be around long enough to see the great things that I know will come from all of this.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Heres my hope. We, or I, refer to the generation before me as The Greatest Generation. They became that because of great and at times overwhelming things. The Depression and World War II.

They changed , adapted and persevered. Thats what made them and how they earned the title ‘Greatest’.

This generation now, the one that comes after me, also has overwhelming things to live through and overcome and build upon to make the world a better place.

I hope to be around long enough to see the great things that I know will come from all of this.

I love your optimism. Thank you very much for that.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Reactions: BMC and Spooner st
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad