News Article: It's shaping up to be an important week in the history of the Ottawa Senators

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This could be one of the bigger weeks in the franchise history of the Ottawa Senators.

While the Hockey Hall of Fame’s selection committee will meet virtually Wednesday to determine whether former Senators’ captain Daniel Alfredsson and winger Marian Hossa will be part of this year’s class when the inductees are announced around 4:30 p.m, all eyes in Ottawa will then turn to first phase of the NHL draft lottery which will be held Friday night at 8 p.m. on Sportsnet.

It’s shaping up to be an important week in the history of the Ottawa Senators

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Alfie deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Period. End of story.

The pessimist in me keeps going over the dooms day option of us picking 5 and 6 and Alfie misses the HOF.

We are in for quite a week
So after a doom 2 years, we're only going to have a doom week? Excellent news!!

Reactions: Raze The Stray

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We are getting 1st (SJS Pick) 2nd (OTT Pick).

Everything that has happened to the Senators has been whatever option would create the most chaos. So I fully expect that to happen, and then HFBoards will have to buy a new server....

3rd pick is going to go to a ridiculous team who shouldn't have it like TOR, PIT, or EDM.

Just imagine Dorion's smiling face when he is interviewed after getting the first pick from San Jose, and he jovially claims that it was all part of the plan. Mr.Melnyk will be very happy!

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm thinking the worst too, but keeping a sliver of hope. I just know the league will find a way to screw us over. Can't this week be over already

I try to look at it like, even ending up with 6th overall from the Karlsson trade is a huge win compared to what the trade looked like on day 1.

I never expected to get that quality of prospect with the 1st from the Karlsson trade. If we knew we were receiving a blue chip prospect in the deal from day one, I think people would have been a lot more tolerant of the return. But I think people assumed that in a best case scenario it would be around the middle of the draft. I think that was the right assumption at the time, since the lowest San Jose had picked in a decade or so was 9th overall and they had made the playoffs with a similar core minus Karlsson pretty much every season.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Everything that has happened to the Senators has been whatever option would create the most chaos. So I fully expect that to happen, and then HFBoards will have to buy a new server....

3rd pick is going to go to a ridiculous team who shouldn't have it like TOR, PIT, or EDM.

Just imagine Dorion's smiling face when he is interviewed after getting the first pick from San Jose, and he jovially claims that it was all part of the plan. Mr.Melnyk will be very happy!
Only to have him go off the board and pick Askarov and Lundell with the 1st and 2nd overall

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

It will be his 2nd proudest moment as a GM.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Only to have him go off the board and pick Askarov and Lundell with the 1st and 2nd overall
Askarov would be a dream. I understand you can past on Byfield but I would more happy with Askarov than Byfield. Lundell I don t care . Lots of finnish people that see him play often but him in the top 3

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I try to look at it like, even ending up with 6th overall from the Karlsson trade is a huge win compared to what the trade looked like on day 1.

I never expected to get that quality of prospect with the 1st from the Karlsson trade. If we knew we were receiving a blue chip prospect in the deal from day one, I think people would have been a lot more tolerant of the return. But I think people assumed that in a best case scenario it would be around the middle of the draft. I think that was the right assumption at the time, since the lowest San Jose had picked in a decade or so was 9th overall and they had made the playoffs with a similar core minus Karlsson pretty much every season.

This is pretty much exactly it.

People wanted Sergachev or Point from Tbay, or Heiskanen from Dallas. So, imagine the trade was one of those guys, a late 1st, and some B prospect (the equivalent of Balcers types), along with a DeMelo type throw in.

I think most would have been happy with those trades compared to what happened on day one, but not with the full benefit of hindsight.

I think at 6th, we could have a prospect with similar upside to Sergachev or Heiskanen, but more risk that they don't pan out. Maybe the pick is worth a bit less then them, but adding Norris offsets that and probably then some. Then there's Tierney, and two 2nds to boot.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The Athletic has a mock HoF vote article that posted today. Sadly, Alfredsson didn't get a single vote from 18 voters.

Raze The Stray

Duuuuuude
Aug 5, 2009
Auto-wah
The HoF stuff means jack to me, changes exactly nothing that has or will happen to this franchise. Any combination of picks in the top-4 however.. suddenly the U in FYOUS looks a bit more feasible!

Lots of finnish people that see him play often but him in the top 3

... When did you start venturing over to the main boards? I may have some terrible news for you re: Finnish opinions on literally anything - and everything, Finnish.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I like this logic I am on board.
I predict that we'll get the 3rd and 5th pick.

1) LA
2) Detroit
3) Ottawa
4) NJ
5) Ottawa
In this scenario the sens likely get Byfield or Stutzle. Dont see any scenario NJ doesnt take a d man which is likely a 99+ % chance its Drysdale as both Bahl and Smith are lefties and most scouts prefer Drysdale.

So the sens are get their center and hopefully just go BPA which is likely Raymond. Id be extatic with that haul.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yep the HHOF is exactly like the Rock and roll HOF.....Which really doesnt say much

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
On the very first click.

105377358_10156939665431557_8715910919588858231_n.jpg

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Its too bad the org hasn't made a statement or even attempted to create some buzz re: Alfie & the HOF. Instead, they are relying on guys like Scanlan to do the work for them. Helping ensure Alfie becomes the first Sen inducted into the Hall of Fame is a slam dunk, yet again, Melnyk asleep at the wheel.

Reactions: guyzeur

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I predict that we'll get the 3rd and 5th pick.

1) LA
2) Detroit
3) Ottawa
4) NJ
5) Ottawa

Please explain how NJ jumps over the Ottawa or San Jose pick given that there are only 3 lottery draws which you indicate were won by LA, Detroit and Ottawa?

:)

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Would have really liked to see Alfie and Brian Murray get into the HHOF today and I think that it will happen for both of them eventually.
That being said, kudos to Marian Hossa for getting in. He is the first modern day Ottawa Senator drafted player to get in and was a great player for the Sens and still enjoyed watching him win Cups in Chicago. Classy two-way player that was a force on both sides of the puck.
Also, another Ottawa connection going into the HHOF with Doug Wilson.

Reactions: OUTHOUSE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->