it's Russia!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
SensGuy said:
Exactly. Russia has a very intimidating defense, although Vishnevski missed about 5 times today trying to go for the big hit.

If forgot about the biggest and scariest Russian of all, Lokomotiv's Bear, the Russian Chara, the decider of World Wars, the one and only.... Zhukov!

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Slitty said:
If forgot about the biggest and scariest Russian of all, Lokomotiv's Bear, the Russian Chara, the decider of World Wars, the one and only.... Zhukov!
I hope you were being sarcastic. Zhukov just looks slow out there.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Nova88 said:
I think the same would go the other way. If Canada doesn't win there will be alot of *****ing (about refs, big ice, team selection). It hard to see team russia winning this one.
I agree there will be *****ing about team selection etc but not the reffing unless there is something like the Nash no-goal against Swiss earlier. Canadians will ***** about many things if they lose, the russian fans on this board will find some way to blame reffing and call some sort of "fix". They have very single time since I've joined this board.

I'll call 4-2 Russia.

Nova88

Oct 6, 2005
ryz said:
I agree there will be *****ing about team selection etc but not the reffing unless there is something like the Nash no-goal against Swiss earlier. Canadians will ***** about many things if they lose, the russian fans on this board will find some way to blame reffing and call some sort of "fix". They have very single time since I've joined this board.

I'll call 4-2 Russia.
The WJC thing didnt help! The crap that Canada pulled was totaly out of line.

shawn_kemp*

SensGuy said:
I hope you were being sarcastic. Zhukov just looks slow out there.

Oh come on! He was great on the PP tonight playing with Vishnevsky!!! Their slapshots are scary!!! I mean Vish has 1 goal in the NHL this season, and Zhukov has what ... 2 in the RSL? :biglaugh:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
we have to get a strong physical game going - eveyone has to finish their checks and play the body - within the rules - penalties will kill us - we all know the russians can become disinterested when their getting roughed up - solid team defense too - ( which we have shown none of so far )

last and not least - marty has to steal it for us

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Nova88 said:
The WJC thing didnt help! The crap that Canada pulled was totaly out of line.
What was that? I don't recall Canada doing anything out of line in the WJC except beat a bunch of teams they weren't supposed to. What did they do?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
If Canada plays their game over a full 60 minutes, they will win this one, likely by a couple of goals. Playing the Czechs was a good setup for the Russians, because they have a lot of similarities. The Czechs and Russians both have an explosive offence, highlighted by skilled centres and dynamic, highly skilled wingers. But both teams lack consistency, not only on a game-to-game basis, but a period-to-period basis. They also have a somewhat suspect defence. Even though Vokoun has struggled in this tournament, he's still one of the game's elite, and I like the Czechs' goaltending better than the Russians.

Canada needs to try to set a physical tone early, with a tough, hard forecheck on the Russian defence. Think back to what Canada did to the U.S. defence in the 2002 gold medal game. The American defence was hearing footsteps all night, and they were playing scared. If Canada rocks the Russian defence early and often, it will be a long night for whoever Russia starts in net. And Canada can't relent in their pressure, either. It has to be a full 60-minute effort. This Russian team is even more explosive than the one that nearly rallied from a four-goal deficit against Canada at last year's Worlds.

If Canada tries to get too cute and too fancy, then our players will be heading back to North America Thursday morning.

Briefer thoughts on the other games:

*Finland vs. the U.S.: Finland can't take them lightly. The U.S. remembers the Finns upsetting them in the World Cup semi-final. And Rick DiPietro has been excellent in this tournament. But nobody in this tournament has played a better team game than Finland, and they can excel in any situation. Finns win a close one.
*Czechs vs. Slovaks. One of hockey's great rivalries continues. Czechs have underachieved even more than Canada. Lots of talent, and one of the top five goalies in the game, but only two wins. Slovaks are loaded with uber-skilled players on the wings, and have never had a defence this good. The key is the Slovaks' goaltending. If they get the saves (which they've gotten so far), they advance. If they don't, Slovakia loses in lopsided fashion.
*Swiss vs. Swedes. Don't know exactly what Gustafson said, but the Swedes play today reflected that of a team not wanting to win. Swiss have had a tendency of playing to the level of their opponents in this tournament, and have two goalies capable of stealing games. You'd think after 2002, Swedes would have learned not to take an opponent lightly. Swiss will make the Swedes pay for hockey's ultimate mistake: underestimating your opponent.

Last edited:

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
mr gib said:
we have to get a strong physical game going - eveyone has to finish their checks and play the body - within the rules - penalties will kill us - we all know the russians can become disinterested when their getting roughed up - solid team defense too - ( which we have shown none of so far )

last and not least - marty has to steal it for us
Exactly and its our only chance to win. Dump the puck in and send the forecheck, im tired to see Thornton trying to play like Viktor Kozlov :shakehead
Also, im looking forward to see McCabe hit the bench cuz it will be hard to follow those russians without taking a penalty. I hope we win but i wouldnt be surprise to see the Russians take it to Canada if they cant get any kind of transition game going.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
jcpenny said:
Exactly and its our only chance to win. Dump the puck in and send the forecheck, im tired to see Thornton trying to play like Viktor Kozlov :shakehead
Also, im looking forward to see McCabe hit the bench cuz it will be hard to follow those russians without taking a penalty. I hope we win but i wouldnt be surprise to see the Russians take it to Canada if they cant get any kind of transition game going.
gotcha on that one - the big guys have to show - bert - thornton - vinny - nothing freaking fancy -

and my personal favorite - the dreaded cross ice pass

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
All I know is that Russia will not #### out Canada.

I predict a Canada win. They'll come to play when it matters. Russia has a formidable offense, but they're not a really solid team IMO.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I have a feeling this tournament well end up like the 2005 Worlds. Canada struggled through the preliminary round, but put it together for two games in the medal rounds before succumbing in the final.

The Canada-Russia game will go as follows. Canada will take an early 3-0 lead early in the first and will hold off a furious Russian onslaught for the rest of the game, winning 3-2. This is almost exactly what happened today to Canada, and its what has happened to Russia at the 2005 Worlds and the 2002 Olympics against the US.

Last edited:

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
ferns8916 said:
Canada in this game is going to have to do what the Junior team did against the Russians.

Hit them, hit them, hit them!

Get called to the booth, to the booth, to the booth! Refs will have a field day with Pronger :yo:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
There is no way Canada will score less than 3 against this Russian defense. I think 4 is a good estimate. Russia can score anywhere from 2 to 5 on Canada.

If I had to bet I'd say 4-3 Canada, 60%, and 5-4 Russia, 40%.

Of course, I am a fan of Russia, so I'm hoping for a 60-minute effort, in which case there is no way Canada can skate with us.

Canada is a bad match up for us; I think right now there is this curious relationship:
Russia > Finn/Czech/Slovak > Canada > Russia

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Tricolore#20 said:
I have a feeling this tournament well end up like the 2005 Worlds. Canada struggled through the preliminary round, but put it together for two games in the medal rounds before succumbing in the final.

The Canada-Russia game will go as follows. Canada will take an early 3-0 lead early in the first and will hold off a furious Russian onslaught for the rest of the game, winning 3-2. This is almost exactly what happened today to Canada, and its what has happened to Russia at the 2005 Worlds and the 2002 Olympics against the US.

Russia learned something from those losses. It' not goiing to happen again. This team really wants to win!

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I wonder who Ovie is going to catch with their head down. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go after Pronger. The kid is fearless.

Kingz4ever

Feb 8, 2006
LA
If the officiating is going to be anti-Russia again, Canada will win. If its fairly called, Russia will win.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Kingz4ever said:
If the officiating is going to be anti-Russia again, Canada will win. If its fairly called, Russia will win.

You're looking at the causal relationship backwards.

If Russia loses, it must have been anti-Russian officiating.
If Canada loses, it was obviously right down the middle.

Melvin10

Feb 20, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Based on how canada has played and how russia has played it'll be a very interesting game...Canada almost handed the Czech's the game today...

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Its gonna be a tight game, honestly who knows what will happen. Team Canada really needs to put it together, and now its all or nothing. Canada has the talent no doubt, they just have to show the world what they are made of. Go Canada Go!!

Kingz4ever

Feb 8, 2006
LA
Heatley#15 said:
Do the Russian fans really think Canada only wins because of the refs or this a bad joke?

Did you watch USA-Russia? USA got like 5 straight power plays. Russia only had 2 pp in the entire game. Don't tell me USA doesn't play an aggressive physical game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad