It's over...

How are y'all rn?

• Total voters

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hey guys oilers fan. I'm genuinely not trolling and have an honest question about something we discuss in edmonton.

How big of a turning even was it when rittich did the stick toss after the shootout win vs Edmonton?

Apparently after the game in the locker room Tippett said that if there is any team you should always be fired up to play its the guy who mocked us on national TV.

You'll recall the next game cumulated with rittich being chased from the net and having to return after the Talbot Smith fight.

Gaten haas scored on a penalty shot and rittich looked like a broken man.

The Flames team that won that shoot and had the better of Edmonton earlier I never saw again.

How big of an impact was it? Looks like a watershed moment.

I can understand the optics from what the Oilers saw, but the Flames had gone off the rails previously in that season. They had a massive losing streak and the Peters controversy which led to his firing occurred near the end of it.

The series of games against the Oilers occurred during the "new coach bump." They hadn't been playing at that level all season, and it was never going to last. After that was over, they reverted back to a level closer to where they were before.

In other words, I think it's hard to support the notion that anything would have been different for the team had the stick remained untossed.

In addition, the first embarrassing incident for the Oilers was the Tkachuk/Kassian game. Hard to build a case that one helped fuel the Flames while the other broke them for some reason.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
upload_2021-2-25_21-7-14.png

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I can understand the optics from what the Oilers saw, but the Flames had gone off the rails previously in that season. They had a massive losing streak and the Peters controversy which led to his firing occurred near the end of it.

The series of games against the Oilers occurred during the "new coach bump." They hadn't been playing at that level all season, and it was never going to last. After that was over, they reverted back to a level closer to where they were before.

In other words, I think it's hard to support the notion that anything would have been different for the team had the stick remained untossed.

In addition, the first embarrassing incident for the Oilers was the Tkachuk/Kassian game. Hard to build a case that one helped fuel the Flames while the other broke them for some reason.

colorado broke us

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Devils fan here (with flames bring only team I somewhat watch and follow as I live out west )
Just my two cents as someone not that emotionally involved .
Start a rebuild around Lindholm Tkachuk Mag Val Markstrom Zary Peltier (spelling ?) Everyone else can go . Trade and draft For players same age group as the core . Not a total scorched earth rebuild and the flames have a bunch of young talent to sustain competitiveness until youngsters are ready .

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Could we try 1 good one?

I just wouldn't be that excited if we ended up getting Gallant or Boudreau by some miracle. We need a big trade as well to shake up the core. Get Eichel in the Flaming C damn it. *Sigh* I'll keep dreaming...

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I just wouldn't be that excited if we ended up getting Gallant or Boudreau by some miracle. We need a big trade as well to shake up the core. Get Eichel in the Flaming C damn it. *Sigh* I'll keep dreaming...
I would be thrilled to have a coach that has proven he can win in the nhl. Our big money coach had 36 wins as his best season before he got here.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Flames are in a weird position. Just good enough to not get a franchise player in the draft.
Years of suckage has to happen in order to be a true contender.
It’s just a matter of when a team realizes they are not build to be a contender and decide to pull the pin and start the rebuild.
At least with the Flames , it would not be as long of a rebuild as other teams. They have a good base and some very good assets to kick off a rebuild. Only forward I’d say is untouchable is Lindholm plus Zary and other kids not in the NhL yet. Trade for prospects in the same approximate age as Tkachuk and picks. Dump cap to make room for anyone who may be worth getting due to teams in a cap crunch / expansion troubles.
Flames have a good enough base and assets that I could see it be a 2-3 year turn around

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad