It's over...

How are y'all rn?

• Total voters

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Anything can happen in sports.
Any team can win a bunch in a row and lose a bunch in a row.
This Flames team can be fantastic. We've seen glimpses of it, when they put in the effort they can be extremely tough to beat. Unfortunately we see that side of the Flames one period a week.
The majority of time this Flames team looks lost, disinterested and completely clueless.

I don't know how to solve anything, I'm not smart enough for that.

I like our players except for a couple that seem like they don't belong out there. I've got jerseys of a bunch of these guys. I'm no fairweather fan. I want to see them succeed and compete and go deep into the playoffs, but I can't see it happening with this team.
Something will give, I just hope it's not something stupid. To me it's management related. Nobody wants to put in the effort for the Coach, but this isn't the first time these players have played this game. So maybe there is some behind the scenes stuff with the players nobody sees.

This Bennett situation is out of hand. Sam benched last night while getting 4 shots in 6 minutes. He was on the ice for both Oilers goals.

What I see lately is a pass first mentality which I don't like. Every game this year I'm yelling at my tv for them to shoot. They're waiting for perfect setups which don't come. Even last night Tkachuk on the powerplay, left side of the net had ample time to shoot, but he was looking to pass off. He finally shot when the defenceman was right in front of him and it got blocked.
Everyone passes off, and it upsets me. Johnny should be getting 5+ shots a game not 0-1 shots a game. He has a lethal wrist shot like we've seen many times, yet he doesn't shoot. Someone has to tell these guys to shoot the puck. Why can Vancouver get 45 + shots against us? We're getting about 17-24 shots on net per game. Usually only getting 1 - 5 in the first period. Attack the zone, and take shots. Who cares if you miss the net, hit the post, or the goalie makes a save. Shots on net result in goals, results in rebounds, results in positive things, but these guys refuse to shoot in golden opportunities.

We can't get the puck out of our own zone. Even when we have possession we'll go backwards into our own corners and turn it over. It's maddening.
We get hemmed into our zone so often and can never walk it out. A lot of the times it ends in a goal or a penalty.

What should this team do? I have no idea. Many options, but who knows which the right move is. Move players? fire management?
I don't know.
I hate to say this, but we might just have to stand pat until this season is over.
Because if you make a coaching change or trade some names away there might be quarantines etc. Just get through this short season and figure it out in the off season. Put Bennett on the top line with Gaudreau and Monahan, and ride that until the end of the year. Hey maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't but what the hell, give it a chance. Not just for a shift or a game, try it for 30 games. What's the damn harm?

Anyways, I'm frustrated like most of us are, and whatever happens happens. I've been a Flames fan since day 1 in 1980 and i'll continue to be a Flames fan. I'm loyal as they come and aren't going anywhere.
It's okay that we're frustrated, it's tough watching this team play because there's not much of an effort and a lot of inconsistencies.

Have a great Saturday everyone, sorry I can't offer much more than my thoughts, but only time will tell with this bunch.
For those who are saying we're 8-8-1 and it's early. Well I'd rather be 10-7 or better, but that's not the case so I believe we're in for a struggle. I don't think we'll make the playoffs unless the Jets, Oilers, and Habs go on a lengthy losing streak. We haven't been out of the bottom 3 yet this year and that's cause for concern.

Cheers gang, talk to ya later tonight.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Things must be done in the following order:

1) fire Ward, hire a real coach NOW

2) by end of season if it does not work, fire treliving and do a rebuild

trade Johnny, monahan, hanifin, gio, etc
Maybe others if price is right

but do it with a new GM

3) name new captain

4) pray, you need it

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

but do it with a new GM

3) name new captain

4) pray, you need it

Who is Flamers' 1st choice for a head- coach replacement?
What is Jay Boumeester doing these days? He did retire last year or so ago, didn't he? He has Flames and southern Alberta roots, and very decent defensive end hockey knowledge. Not head-coach replacer but maybe joining the crew behind the pine?

Very interested to know Flamer Nationeers' choices.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

but do it with a new GM

3) name new captain

4) pray, you need it
They need to ride the season out as is. Whether the team figures it out or not something needs to change because it’s not working. However, that change shouldn’t be done by Treliving. He has had coaches, made significant and insignificant trades, made significant and insignificant free agent signings and we are exactly in the same middle ground area we were 6 years ago when he traded for Hamilton.
He can negotiate Rfa contracts and make trades with the best of them but he sucks at roster construction, free agency, creating team identity and coach selection.
We need a new set of eyes running things

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Who is Flamers' 1st choice for a head- coach replacement?
What is Jay Boumeester doing these days? He did retire last year or so ago, didn't he? He has Flames and southern Alberta roots, and very decent defensive end hockey knowledge. Not head-coach replacer but maybe joining the crew behind the pine?

Very interested to know Flamer Nationeers' choices.
If it’s just for this season, I’d say Babcock. Tough, pushes players.
If thinking longer, I’d say Gallant.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It is certainly time for a change.
Calgary is trapped in the mushy middle.

Pain will be needed to get around this fast.
Monahan and probably Gaudreau, but a decent idea might be to make a trade for Eichel, another outspoken superstar tired of losing.

Sure it might take 2 weeks, but if losing anyway of most of the time then pull the trigger.

Right now Calgary has 5 games in hand and are 3/4 points up. It is not likely they would lose every game during that two weeks.

Buffalo might be motivated, better than having Eichel stop playing good and publicly demand a trade.

Some players are worth over paying for, Eichel MIGHT be one but this type of trade could end up being a win, win in the end but maybe not look like that out of the gate.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t care if we win or lose

fire ward for f*** sake

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
upload_2021-2-25_20-0-15.gif
upload_2021-2-25_20-0-15.gif

Reactions: FlamerForLife

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Hey guys oilers fan. I'm genuinely not trolling and have an honest question about something we discuss in edmonton.

How big of a turning even was it when rittich did the stick toss after the shootout win vs Edmonton?

Apparently after the game in the locker room Tippett said that if there is any team you should always be fired up to play its the guy who mocked us on national TV.

You'll recall the next game cumulated with rittich being chased from the net and having to return after the Talbot Smith fight.

Gaten haas scored on a penalty shot and rittich looked like a broken man.

The Flames team that won that shoot and had the better of Edmonton earlier I never saw again.

How big of an impact was it? Looks like a watershed moment.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hey guys oilers fan. I'm genuinely not trolling and have an honest question about something we discuss in edmonton.

How big of a turning even was it when rittich did the stick toss after the shootout win vs Edmonton?

Apparently after the game in the locker room Tippett said that if there is any team you should always be fired up to play its the guy who mocked us on national TV.

You'll recall the next game cumulated with rittich being chased from the net and having to return after the Talbot Smith fight.

Gaten haas scored on a penalty shot and rittich looked like a broken man.

The Flames team that won that shoot and had the better of Edmonton earlier I never saw again.

How big of an impact was it? Looks like a watershed moment.

Ancient history at this point.

The turning point was 3 games in. Looked like hot shit and then fell to shit once ward started getting his “system” in.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->