It's October and how many people in the U.S. will miss the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Cawz said:
Um, no. Thanks for elaborating for me though.

Bettman assured Melnyk, according to the sports show I was listening to, that the season wouldnt go ahead without some cost certainty. Apparently, the nhl is a bad investment. It has the potential to be a good investment if the CBA is fixed. Everyone involved, players and owners, should be making millions while we buy $8 beers.

Golisano got the same assurances when he purchased the Sabres. Just as you said, there would be some form of cost certainty in the next CBA.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Golisano and Melnyk must be quite the gamblers then. Buying on a promise of the outcome of labour negotiations? Pretty risky.

YellHockey*

thinkwild said:
Golisano and Melnyk must be quite the gamblers then. Buying on a promise of the outcome of labour negotiations? Pretty risky.

Or maybe they're just saying that so the public doesn't begrudge them the great deals they got.

Buying a money losing team to save it until a new system is in place makes them seem more like martyrs then saying they are opportunities who used their power and money to pick up valuable assets for a bargain basement price.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
To answer the question, the only people who will miss it are diehards like me. I nearly live the damn sport of hockey, and while it's October, I don't think it will be missed as much by diehard fans as it will be around Thanksgiving. I know I have been sitting all summer thinking what I'm going to do. Quite frankly, I thought I would miss it more than I have thus far. I also work every Sunday so I don't even get to watch football.

How many people will actually miss the NHL though? Not nearly as many as Gary Bettman thinks. And the number will be even smaller for the people who will be around if it doesn't come back for a year.

MacDaddy TLC*

Geez, the first post made it sound like it would be a bad thing if the NHL ceased operations. That is my second choice.

Jovo Cop

I know where i live in the interior of BC we have the Dub and the BCJ all within minutes ..no one here is missing the NHL at all and the general consensus is let them all go to hell,bunch of spoiled whiners .
I think people are getting sick and tired of the Comries of the world where its never enough .Guys around here bust their ass for 20 bucks an hour and these guys are *****ing over 1.3 million average as compared to 1.8 :shakehead
Good bye and good riddance NHL.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Jovo Cop said:
I know where i live in the interior of BC we have the Dub and the BCJ all within minutes ..no one here is missing the NHL at all and the general consensus is let them all go to hell,bunch of spoiled whiners .
I think people are getting sick and tired of the Comries of the world where its never enough .Guys around here bust their ass for 20 bucks an hour and these guys are *****ing over 1.3 million average as compared to 1.8 :shakehead
the owner's locked out the player's - you're falling for the spin

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Cawz said:
Um, no. Thanks for elaborating for me though.

Bettman assured Melnyk, according to the sports show I was listening to, that the season wouldnt go ahead without some cost certainty. Apparently, the nhl is a bad investment. It has the potential to be a good investment if the CBA is fixed. Everyone involved, players and owners, should be making millions while we buy $8 beers.
just think how much more money the owners can make if they get - cost certainty - and the beers are $8.50 -

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jovo Cop said:

That's why the question asks about the USA and not Canada. Canada has significant alternatives. Some US markets are not so lucky. You think people in New York will miss hockey? They don't have a minor league team in their area, they have to go to Albany, Bridgeport, Hartford or Trenton.

Then again teams in other sports are...relatively successful.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
RangerBoy said:
Keep it up Gary Bettman,your league will cease to exist.Will the last person to leave the building,please turn out the lights.Besides the hard core hockey nuts in the U.S.,how many people will notice the NHL is currently locked out?The MLB playoffs begin this week,the NFL is underway and the NBA will begin in November.Thanksgiving will arrive in November and Christmas will be 4 weeks away.The college bowl games will dominate late December-early January.The NFL playoffs will begin in January.The SuperBowl is on Febuary 6th this season.A few weeks later,MLB spring training will begin and in March the NCAA March Madness will command the attention.In April,the MLB 2005 begins and NBA playoffs begin.How people will actually give a **** if the NHL never plays again?Unfortunately,not many :banghead: :help: :shakehead

Thanks Gary
Phoenix, AZ. here and I'm going to miss it terribly! However, what you said is basically sad but true. The average American will not even notice hockey is gone, especially with sooooooo many alternatives. Heck baseball damn near destroyed itself and might still be trying to recover had it not been for Ripkin, McGwire and Sosa and the NHL is nowhere near the MLB in terms of popularity. Which incidentally is too bad because hockey is a great game that just doesn't get it's due! btw...with Nashville making the playoffs, Atlanta with two stud offensive players, Columbus with the next great power forward, Phoenix with all the off season moves and Tampa winning the cup, the NHL actually stands a chance in making some headway in these traditionally non-hockey markets. Too bad the union and the owners are going to f*** it all up!!!

one more note - without the NHL, the owners are still billionaires, what are the players?!

Jovo Cop

Sinurgy said:
Phoenix, AZ. here and I'm going to miss it terribly! However, what you said is basically sad but true. The average American will not even notice hockey is gone, especially with sooooooo many alternatives. Heck baseball damn near destroyed itself and might still be trying to recover had it not been for Ripkin, McGwire and Sosa and the NHL is nowhere near the MLB in terms of popularity. Which incidentally is too bad because hockey is a great game that just doesn't get it's due! btw...with Nashville making the playoffs, Atlanta with two stud offensive players, Columbus with the next great power forward, Phoenix with all the off season moves and Tampa winning the cup, the NHL actually stands a chance in making some headway in these traditionally non-hockey markets. Too bad the union and the owners are going to f*** it all up!!!

one more note - without the NHL, the owners are still billionaires, what are the players?!
Gas jockeys , landscape labourers and fast food clerks .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad