News Article: It's Jake of course "canucks address forward parting nightclub"

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Jake already gets paid to be a vessel of our collective entertainment for 2.5 hours a night for 82-100 nights a year. Do we really need to milk the rest of this kid's private life for more entertainment and drama? Are we this bored?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
How is the criticism of Jake's choices “unfair”? If he would show up to a camp in shape and at weight would this night out at a club be a question? There is a history with Jake that he puts his personal pleasures ahead of his commitment to fitness and training. So, no any criticism now (for what appears to be another poor choice) is not unfair.
If Jake shows up at camp at weight and in great shape then I will change my opinion. However, does anyone actually trust Jake to meet those standards?

He barely missed weight at the beginning of training camp then went on to have a career 20g/20a year. But of course the focus would be that he missed weight and the story would be that he's some sort of headcase. :facepalm:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He barely missed weight at the beginning of training camp then went on to have a career 20g/20a year. But of course the focus would be that he missed weight and the story would be that he's some sort of headcase. :facepalm:

You're missing the point. He can put up relatively good stats (20g/20a) but still not be fully committed to arriving to training camp in shape. Maybe he would have put up 25g/25a if he had a good offseason. If it wasn't an issue, then Green wouldn't call him out pretty much every training camp.

He's an idiot here because he's increasing the risk for his teammates just so he can party. Given the circumstances and how the league might not even resume if infections keep popping up, it's even more stupid for him to do that.

Reactions: tyhee

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
You're missing the point. He can put up relatively good stats (20g/20a) but still not be fully committed to arriving to training camp in shape. Maybe he would have put up 25g/25a if he had a good offseason. If it wasn't an issue, then Green wouldn't call him out pretty much every training camp.

He's an idiot here because he's increasing the risk for his teammates just so he can party. Given the circumstances and how the league might not even resume if infections keep popping up, it's even more stupid for him to do that.

the thing is anybody and everybody may potentially have covid and no place is safer than another, you can’t poo poo a night of entertainment over grabbing a bite to eat at a reopened restaurant. It’s also unfair to suggest that because they are athletes who get paid big bucks can not live the life they choose to live, being a professional athlete in the public’s eye is probably the furthest thing I would wanna have in my life, a balance of work and play is needed to offset the public’s opinion. I support this kids night out because I was a kid once too, I lived for those nights and I can’t imagine how much love for my job I would have if I couldn’t get a little tipsy now and again.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
the thing is anybody and everybody may potentially have covid and no place is safer than another, you can’t poo poo a night of entertainment over grabbing a bite to eat at a reopened restaurant. It’s also unfair to suggest that because they are athletes who get paid big bucks can not live the life they choose to live, being a professional athlete in the public’s eye is probably the furthest thing I would wanna have in my life, a balance of work and play is needed to offset the public’s opinion. I support this kids night out because I was a kid once too, I lived for those nights and I can’t imagine how much love for my job I would have if I couldn’t get a little tipsy now and again.

It's more about risk prevention than anything else. I agree with you. I haven't been to a night club during the COVID era, but I imagine it's still a higher risk than a restaurant (more people and closer proximity). He could have still worn a mask too. Maybe I'm wrong though, no idea. If Celebrities was abiding by social distancing rules and all that, basically making the dance floor completely pointless, then why even go? Just have beers at a friend's house or out in the park. I don't know.

It's less about Jake and more about the rest of the team and the league. If he tests positive and has to sit out the qualifying round, then yes, it absolutely was a dumb decision. He's entitled to make dumb decisions, just like we're entitled to comment on said dumb decisions.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

There's no evidence that Virtanen was engaging in any sort of increased risk taking behaviour. The bar was sanctioned by Bonnie Henry's re-opening plan and they've taken a crapload of safety measures and precautions. There's no reason to think it's any less safe than going to a restaurant or a barbershop or a grocery store.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
It's more about risk prevention than anything else. I agree with you. I haven't been to a night club during the COVID era, but I imagine it's still a higher risk than a restaurant (more people and closer proximity). He could have still worn a mask too. Maybe I'm wrong though, no idea. If Celebrities was abiding by social distancing rules and all that, basically making the dance floor completely pointless, then why even go? Just have beers at a friend's house or out in the park. I don't know.

It's less about Jake and more about the rest of the team and the league. If he tests positive and has to sit out the qualifying round, then yes, it absolutely was a dumb decision. He's entitled to make dumb decisions, just like we're entitled to comment on said dumb decisions.

Yeah you are wrong. Here are the rules that Celebrities set up for the re-opening.

Eb4TMQWUEAELfpX

That's pretty thorough. So why even go if all these rules apply? Why not drink at home or in the park you ask? Maybe because that's all we've been able to do for months and some people want to go out again? Why should Jake be planning his night out with the twitter mob's reaction in mind?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Yeah you are wrong. Here are the rules that Celebrities set up for the re-opening.

Eb4TMQWUEAELfpX

That's pretty thorough. So why even go if all these rules apply? Why not drink at home or in the park you ask? Maybe because that's all we've been able to do for months and some people want to go out again? Why should Jake be planning his night out with the twitter mob's reaction in mind?

The last rule is pretty funny. Get drunk, but no mingling. I'm sure everyone has been abiding by that lol.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I don't disagree with your overall sentiments. I think with Jake it wasn't so much weight. Teams may have weight targets but players don't have to follow them to a T. Jake missed the mark in terms of conditioning goals. This isn't disputed. The bag skate is tough but Virtanen needs to do a better job of arriving to camp in shape (which he did do a better job of compared to the previous year).

Reactions: Motte and Bailey

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Jake scored 18 goals, was gonna score 20 for sure and maybe just maybe would have been sniffing at 25

This has more weight than bag skates, grouse grinds, air bike scores or nights of drinking hot Toddy’s at home before a 9 o’clock bed time

the kid has come back from the gold medal goat to a respectable everyday NHL player

Man

Juolevi better invest in a good fake moustache if he is gonna sample some saki with his sushi

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Jake scored 18 goals, was gonna score 20 for sure and maybe just maybe would have been sniffing at 25

This has more weight than bag skates, grouse grinds, air bike scores or nights of drinking hot Toddy’s at home before a 9 o’clock bed time

the kid has come back from the gold medal goat to a respectable everyday NHL player

Man

Juolevi better invest in a good fake moustache if he is gonna sample some saki with his sushi

if I could do a “leave brittney alone” video right now I would but I’m fresh out of masscara

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Since there is a 50% chance I need to defend Lumme's honor here, I guess I'll point out the obvious, that plenty of NHLers smoked in the '90s (and I assume there are a handful that still do), including Mario Lemieux. I don't know it would have been thought of as a very big deal, especially if it was just one or two.

Miikka Kiprusoff was chain smoking cigarettes while putting a Vezina run together in 2004, Canucks fans should remember that.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yes it is. And I was just stating it was his nickname as a rookie because he wore Reeves' Grizzlies jersey one day and the team started calling him that.

But I think it fits him more because of how he dunked Leipsic.

but i think big country got dunked on a lot more often than he dunked on anyone

here is the day vancouver basketball died—

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Somewhat related to this, the conversation with Tyler Kennedy and NBA players wanting to have sex is relevant to the NHL. Sure a weirdo like Crosby might, as Kennedy alluded to, not care that much. But it is tough to suppress the human instinct for sex, especially if one is potentially used to it being relatively easily accessible. I guarantee within a week some NHL players will be busted outside of the bubble, or trying to sneak in some action on the dl.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Just kind of curious with some of the replies here: Folks understand that Dr. Henry saying that it's okay for certain businesses to reopen under certain guidelines doesn't mean that she's saying that you're not increasing your likelihood of contracting Covid19 by going there, right?

Like, there's a reason why she has repeatedly explained that you should consider exercising more caution if you have different circumstances in which contracting the virus will be more impactful (ie. you live with your 90 year old grandmother, or you're about to gear up for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, or you have potential health complications, or whatever.)

The main focus of these reopening phases is bringing back economic and social activity at a level that doesn't cause a run-away spike that overruns the capacity of medical services. It's understood and accepted that this increased interaction will still increase the risk to individuals.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Just kind of curious with some of the replies here: Folks understand that Dr. Henry saying that it's okay for certain businesses to reopen under certain guidelines doesn't mean that she's saying that you're not increasing your likelihood of contracting Covid19 by going there, right?

Like, there's a reason why she has repeatedly explained that you should consider exercising more caution if you have different circumstances in which contracting the virus will be more impactful (ie. you live with your 90 year old grandmother, or you're about to gear up for the Stanley Cup Playoffs, or you have potential health complications, or whatever.)

The main focus of these reopening phases is bringing back economic and social activity at a level that doesn't cause a run-away spike that overruns the capacity of medical services. It's understood and accepted that this increased interaction will still increase the risk to individuals.
Mike Johnson, ex NHL player, was just on 1040, and talking about how guys in the room react to their teammates poor off ice choices, that affect the team. It’s worth the listen, and provides an insight into what Jake’s teammates likely think about Jake’s nightclubbing during a pandemic, and how it could affect them.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Chris Tanev just said that Jake understands his mistake, and tested negative for Covid. Jake is on the ice with the other players.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks packaged Virtanen and Juolevi what could they get in the NHL marketplace? Both guys might one day reach their lofty first round potential, but let some other team try and bring it out of them.

A top up-and-coming d-man plus a second rounder might get it done. At some point, the Canucks have to move on.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If the Canucks packaged Virtanen and Juolevi what could they get in the NHL marketplace? Both guys might one day reach their lofty first round potential, but let some other team try and bring it out of them.

A top up-and-coming d-man plus a second rounder might get it done. At some point, the Canucks have to move on.
Maybe, considering the flat Covid cap era we are now in, its best to use these two as sweetener in deals to dump a couple bad contracts?
Add Jake to Loui
Add Juiolevi to Sutter
That clears 10 million in cap.

Reactions: rypper

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I think Juolevi's value is that of a prospect who needs a change of scenery or has also been hamstrung by injuries. I think he's worth more to the Canucks then to another team who might trade for him.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Maybe, considering the flat Covid cap era we are now in, its best to use these two as sweetener in deals to dump a couple bad contracts?
Add Jake to Loui
Add Juiolevi to Sutter
That clears 10 million in cap.

That's exactly what we should and probably will have to do. Trades like these or buyouts.

Reactions: Luckylarry

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If the Canucks packaged Virtanen and Juolevi what could they get in the NHL marketplace? Both guys might one day reach their lofty first round potential,

Sorry VJ, Jake may not be the first rounder we imagined, but lets be honest, he had a solid season this season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Well, I'm pretty sure Dr. Henry doesn't think a person about to gear up for the Stanley Cup playoffs is in a comparable situation as a person living with a 90 year old grandmother.

Like you said, re-opening is really about the economy. The fact is that going to restaurants increases your risk of contracting COVID 19, yet Dr. Henry has recommended people to dine in at their local restaurants.

Anyways, back to Jake I am a bit on the fence about his commitment off the ice, but at the end of the day it's what Jake does on the ice that matters. I feel that it could be a it is what it is type situation. As long as Jake gets himself into shape and performs well during the season I actually don't care too much that he shows up to camp a bit out of shape. It's like Byfuglien who is known to get really out of shape during the summer and arrive to camp out of shape. Yet when the puck drops during the regular season he's good.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sorry VJ, Jake may not be the first rounder we imagined, but lets be honest, he had a solid season this season.
Sure he had a 'solid' season.....but there's also a chance he's 'at the top of the market'. Canucks have lots of wingers in the system, with two of them, Hoglander and Podkolzin sure bets to crack the lineup in the next couple of seasons.

Still think if the Canucks can pry a promising young d-man from another organization in exchange for a position player in an area where they have a major surplus, it's something they have to consider, isn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->