News Article: It's Jake of course "canucks address forward parting nightclub"

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
All places have to follow the same rules right now in BC. It may normally be a night club right now it is closer to a restaurant. They do this to get there employees back working. I guessing the team talked to him to help silent some of the internet rage
The team is likely extremely pissed at Jake. Hughes just did an interview about how all players need to be very careful about exactly what Jake just did. If Jake was a top player, who was always in shape and ready to play, his teammates would just say, “that’s how Jake roles”. But Jake isn’t a top player, and has never come to camp in shape. His teammates are likely not impressed.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The team is likely extremely pissed at Jake. Hughes just did an interview about how all players need to be very careful about exactly what Jake just did. If Jake was a top player, who was always in shape and ready to play, his teammates would just say, “that’s how Jake roles”. But Jake isn’t a top player, and has never come to camp in shape. His teammates are likely not impressed.

shudder, i just got a sandlak flashback

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
It isn’t that bad... Vancouver is pretty safe, probably safer to go to a nightclub in Vancouver than a grocery store in the USA.

I get that it is perceived as irresponsible, but it’s not like he’s doing something that isn’t completely allowed by the public right now. If he shows up to camp out of shape though? That’s a different story.

But, it really depends on team protocol as well. If he got it, and was unavailable for playoffs, that would be very selfish.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Nothing he did was wrong. Read up on the restrictions within the establishment. Now tell me how that is any different than you or me going to a restaurant? I'll wait.

There are guidelines and then there are restrictions. Just because something is currently allowed doesn't mean there is no risk. It is a balancing act between the economy and the health of everyone. Someone in his position should be told of the impact his decisions will make. We all have choices to make. Go to a indoor gathering like that and you are increasing everyones risk of getting the virus. I personally will stay away from indoor gatherings just because I have people in my life who are immunocompromised.

Jake is about to enter into a social bubble with his teammates and his teammates families. That is a responsibility he was not willing to take seriously, and his teammates would take that trust seriously.

Reactions: I am toxic

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh ffs. Dr Henry hasn't steered us wrong yet. The province has allowed this level of reopening, hasn't it? Virtanen's following the advice of our esteemed provincial leaders. We all knew the kid was a partier before, just like thousands of pro hockey players before him. He was actually making serious strides in his game this season before it was shut down. Give the kid a break.

Total nothingburger story.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
I was in the lineup for the Roxy Nightclub in the early 90s. The defensive duo of Dana Murzyn and Jyrki Lumme were behind me , both with Number 5 Orange hats. However, one of them was also smoking a cigarette. Oh at that moment how I wished there was social media so I could have said ah ha!!!! Not much more in life would have been better than that!

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Eh, it is what it is, but zooming out and thinking about it being a contract year, and what a big playoff could mean to him vs. what a Covid positive would mean to him, it's just kind of a "really dude?" situation. But also absolutely not surprising at all.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I was in the lineup for the Roxy Nightclub in the early 90s. The defensive duo of Dana Murzyn and Jyrki Lumme were behind me , both with Number 5 Orange hats. However, one of them was also smoking a cigarette. Oh at that moment how I wished there was social media so I could have said ah ha!!!! Not much more in life would have been better than that!
Both those guys were established and trusted (by their teammates and coaches) players. Can we say the same about Jake?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Since there is a 50% chance I need to defend Lumme's honor here, I guess I'll point out the obvious, that plenty of NHLers smoked in the '90s (and I assume there are a handful that still do), including Mario Lemieux. I don't know it would have been thought of as a very big deal, especially if it was just one or two.

Eh, it is what it is, but zooming out and thinking about it being a contract year, and what a big playoff could mean to him vs. what a Covid positive would mean to him, it's just kind of a "really dude?" situation. But also absolutely not surprising at all.
That's kind of how I see it. No one is saying he breached any guidelines, it's just on the eve of the season returning (if that's even really true -- maybe he's just a big ol' skeptic) I'd be hyper-nervous about being able to stay ready to play. Even if you disregard any threat to his teammates, just for his own sake, if he tests positive he's out.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I think we need some real tangible things to discuss here, from the sounds of it those things will be happening soon. Jake being outside at a club is well within his rights and his choices are his own, I get the perception people have of him and how he makes bad choices but it’s totally unfair. These athletes are people who can make their own choices and he didn’t nothing wrong, it’s not like he attended an Alabama get sick from Covid party

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Is “Big Country” a compliment?

Yes it is. And I was just stating it was his nickname as a rookie because he wore Reeves' Grizzlies jersey one day and the team started calling him that.

But I think it fits him more because of how he dunked Leipsic.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think we need some real tangible things to discuss here, from the sounds of it those things will be happening soon. Jake being outside at a club is well within his rights and his choices are his own, I get the perception people have of him and how he makes bad choices but it’s totally unfair. These athletes are people who can make their own choices and he didn’t nothing wrong, it’s not like he attended an Alabama get sick from Covid party
How is the criticism of Jake's choices “unfair”? If he would show up to a camp in shape and at weight would this night out at a club be a question? There is a history with Jake that he puts his personal pleasures ahead of his commitment to fitness and training. So, no any criticism now (for what appears to be another poor choice) is not unfair.
If Jake shows up at camp at weight and in great shape then I will change my opinion. However, does anyone actually trust Jake to meet those standards?

Reactions: timw33

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Yes it is. And I was just stating it was his nickname as a rookie because he wore Reeves' Grizzlies jersey one day and the team started calling him that.

But I think it fits him more because of how he dunked Leipsic.
I get it now! Big Country could dunk, so Jake “dunking” is a compliment too. I don’t think Jake can dunk though.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

This is my view. He didn't do anything "wrong". But surely he must know the optics, given the context today. Is it worth it?

Reactions: Luckylarry

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
TSN 1040 did a poll and overwhelmingly people thought this was a non story.

I do think it is bad optics but the truth is there's a lot of things we don't know that happens behind the scenes. Willie Mitchell said he would just send a rookie back to the hotel wearing the wristbands/watches presumably while he and other teammates (presumably) go out for a beer and Mitchell was one of the veteran leaders on the team who wore an A. If the players aren't heading to bed early then there are so many things they can do especially if gaming is banned. Drinks after games with your teammates on the surface is a socially accepted way to bond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->