Its in our hands

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
"Its in our hands"

That was the answer that team captain Mario Lemieux gave when the Florida press asked him after the game against Florida Panthers if Tampa Bay would reach the playoffs this season. The game against Florida was not only one of the last regular season games for the season but it was also a very important game for both team, the looser in this game would probably bring out the golfclubs a few weeks to early.

No one scored in the first period and the 2nd period was less then one minute old when Torres burried his 26th goal of the season. Half way into the period Michael Nylander tied the game with his 15th of the season, assisted by defenseman Majesky.

Early in the third period, team captain Mario Lemieux scored one of his last goals of his career. Super-Mario told the press a few weeks ago that after this season he will retire from the game. Shane Doan tied the game again with his 23rd of the season but just a minute later Niclas Havelid had the game winning goal for Tampa with a hard slapshot from the blueline.

After the game, GM Martin Sedin was very happy with the team. We have played amazing for the last couple of weeks and we can only win our three last games of the season(Two against Kings and one against Hurricanes) we will be in the playoffs which has been our goal the entire season. It looked pretty bad a month ago but our first line has leading the way. Another reason for our success lately has been a few trades I did half way through the season. I might not have done so great trades in the past but I am very satiesfied with two trades I made.

With Pavel Bure and Brett Hull in our team I dont think we would have been here. I admit both are great players and future hall of famers but they didnt produce as much as expected here in Tampa. I had bigger plans for them and when they couldnt deliever I had to trade them. In exchange for Hull I got Valeri Bure and he has been amazing in the first line. In 38 games with the team he has 32 points and is +17, only Lemieux and Sedin are better with +19. The other big trade was when we got Niklas Sundström. Sundström who had 24 points prior to his arrival in Tampa has another 12 points now and +5 in those games.

Both of Sundström and Bure have received contract offers and they will respond very shortly. Rumours mention that no one in Tampa will sign anything before the season is over, people in Tampa hope that will last for weeks to come.

HFNHL Red Wings

Thanks Martin. Your's is definitely the last true playoff race and I'm glad to see someone is trying to build some interest in the battle.

Come on Brock you've been way too quiet ;)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Thanks Martin. Your's is definitely the last true playoff race and I'm glad to see someone is trying to build some interest in the battle.

Come on Brock you've been way too quiet ;)

I've been quiet, cause I'm disappointed. 4 losses in a row!, Yuck. Pretty much gotta win every game left to get in, and that includes beating you and the Capitals. Not looking good, and it sucks especially because I've been in the playoffs the entire season so far, except for like the past week. Bunch of Chokers I tell ya!

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Brock said:
I've been quiet, cause I'm disappointed. 4 losses in a row!, Yuck. Pretty much gotta win every game left to get in, and that includes beating you and the Capitals. Not looking good, and it sucks especially because I've been in the playoffs the entire season so far, except for like the past week. Bunch of Chokers I tell ya!

Your team's thrown off by that whole thong thing...

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Islander were in no win situation

The last home game decided Islanders faith in achieving two key incentive contracts. We finally managed to have a winning home record by going 1 game over 500 and we achieved 80% attendance rating. By beating Montreal, we allowed Tampa to sneak in to playoffs which is not good news for us as we hold Tampa's 1st round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad