Gritty Talk Part III: Cleared after investigation into assault (Feb. 3, 2020)

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Couple Local Sports People are now spreading the theory around that all the Gritty following and love from Philly People is stemming from our merely defending Philly... like we supported the Eagles Hate from around the Country.

Glenn Maknow and HockeyBuzz's Eklund are saying that we hated Gritty until we saw the rest of the Country dissing him, saying he is a mistake and a bad Mascot... and when we heard all that we then started to support Gritty. This would seem to suggest that we really still think he is bad but defend him because he is OURS.

The way I'm seeing it that at first... mostly before his rollout, and immediately after, many Philly people didn't like Gritty... but after seeing him in action, and seeing him on Twitter, we suddenly took to him strongly... and felt Gritty love... Also, I actually see the National Media taking well to Gritty and enjoying him... not dissing him... but playing along like the late night hosts did... the morning shows seemed to be enjoying him.

Am I looking this incorrectly?

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Couple Local Sports People are now spreading the theory around that all the Gritty following and love from Philly People is stemming from our merely defending Philly... like we supported the Eagles Hate from around the Country.

Glenn Maknow and HockeyBuzz's Eklund are saying that we hated Gritty until we saw the rest of the Country dissing him, saying he is a mistake and a bad Mascot... and when we heard all that we then started to support Gritty. This would seem to suggest that we really still think he is bad but defend him because he is OURS.

The way I'm seeing it that at first... mostly before his rollout, and immediately after, many Philly people didn't like Gritty... but after seeing him in action, and seeing him on Twitter, we suddenly took to him strongly... and felt Gritty love... Also, I actually see the National Media taking well to Gritty and enjoying him... not dissing him... but playing along like the late night hosts did... the morning shows seemed to be enjoying him.

Am I looking this incorrectly?
Gritty is a meme. But he's OUR ******** meme so we go to bat for him. Just like the dogheads during the Eagles' run.

Reactions: Rebels57

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Gritty is a meme. But he's OUR ******** meme so we go to bat for him. Just like the dogheads during the Eagles' run.

Are you agreeing with them then... we wouldn't be loving him if he wasn't attacked by others... and that he is being dissed by others?

I'm really not seeing that at all... although the premiss, as with the Eagles, is fine... I'm just taking it as the love standing on it's own merits, no matter what others might feel about him... and TBH, I'm not really feeling Gritty hate out there in America; I'm feeling America getting caught up in GrittyMania with us.

Reactions: sabremike

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Are you agreeing with them then... we wouldn't be loving him if he wasn't attacked by others... and that he is being dissed by others?

I'm really not seeing that at all... although the premiss, as with the Eagles, is fine... I'm just taking it as the love standing on it's own merits, no matter what others might feel about him... and TBH, I'm not really feeling Gritty hate out there in America; I'm feeling America getting caught up in GrittyMania with us.
I mean Flyers fans bashed him first and bashed him hardest is all im saying.
Im also saying memes are the way people disseminate jokes nowadays and Gritty being prime meme material just boosts his popularity.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I mean Flyers fans bashed him first and bashed him hardest is all im saying.
Im also saying memes are the way people disseminate jokes nowadays and Gritty being prime meme material just boosts his popularity.

Got you... yeah... but quite quickly the local Memes turned to supporting his Gritty Persona... and all around Memes seemed to play off what he's going for... yes, all of which boosts his popularity.

I'm seeing him as the Loveable Villain... much like the old Broad Street Bullies were... he's entertaining.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
0E0E8A13-67A2-426E-A4E0-E23E6E39E8A5.jpeg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think at first the negativity just came from not really wanting/needing a mascot because most times, they are dumb and useless.

Then with it was announced with the video, it was mostly "wtf, he looks scary, not a kid friendly mascot"

But then when they gave him an "attitude" and a good personality, it was a perfect fit for Philly fans. It was not a pansy mascot. It was one who clapped back at the Pens mascot, Luongo, The Kardashian parody pic, etc...

Making him edgy was a great marketing move.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Is their any gritty merch on sale yet? I wanna but my boys something for their rooms lol as long as it’s not to scary lol

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
at first, i was thinking "this is the most ridiculous BS I've ever seen."
But then I started reading some comments ripping him I began liking him.
8 AM Phoenix time - I hated it.

By 9 AM Phoenix time - I started loving it. I started laughing at how ridiculous it was. It began falling into the "its so bad its great category" for me.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Based on the timing of this post it’s not hard to determine I’ve been, gritty myself to tonight. But we haven’t even started considering his mid season impact. Imagine this dude posturing behind the penalty box. Or better yet, imagine Pierre going off on Crosby just to have gritty poke his head in. I was so against him and now I’m literally going to bed (******), imagining the possibilities.
We are all gritty today

Reactions: Rebels57

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Anyone have the cartoon design of Gritty that looks more like an owl then what the final design turned out to be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad