Gritty Talk Part III: Cleared after investigation into assault (Feb. 3, 2020)

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
(very) Free translation of an interview in French from good old Danny Brière about Gritty;

"I was there when Gritty was launch and I can tell you that a lot of people in the marketing department were nervous. At first, Gritty received a lot of backlashes and you could see many long faces around the office. Fortunately, things started to shift very quickly and by the end of the first day, he was "adopted" by Flyers fans. It seems that all his "flaws" made it very easy for people to relate to Gritty."

With close to 125K followers on Twitter, I bet that "I told you so" was the most used phrase in Flyers office of late.

when i first saw him i thought " oh god this is going to be a disaster" 2 hours later i was designing my gritty tattoo.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Please Touch Museum welcomes new mascot 'Squiggles'

squiggles_1538932125048_6167932_ver1.0_640_360.png

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

This is absolutely unfrickin'believable.

... I'm now guessing that the Calandar Magnets that were always given out on Lpening Night will have Gritty on them, when they are handed out in a few Games... I wonder if the delay was to buy more time to create and make them.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

This is absolutely unfrickin'believable.

... I'm now guessing that the Calandar Magnets that were always given out on Lpening Night will have Gritty on them, when they are handed out in a few Games... I wonder if the delay was to buy more time to create and make them.

Pickard would win the hart

Reactions: flyersfan187

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
https://lifehacker.com/im-david-raymond-creator-of-gritty-and-this-is-how-i-1829563481

I'm David Raymond, Creator of Gritty, and This Is How I Work

In 1978, Philadelphia Phillies intern David Raymond put on the costume of the Phillie Phanatic, and introduced the world to one of the best-known costumed mascots in sports. After 15 years as the Phanatic, Raymond went into business creating his own mascots. And now he’s created the most instantly famous mascot in years: Philadelphia Flyers mascot Gritty. (The working title for this post was “Gritty’s Daddy.”) We talked to Raymond about the path from Phanatic to Gritty, how to clean a costume, and why he switches to-do apps every two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad