It's getting out of HAND! (aka media tries to stop forsberg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

Forsberg just made the first page story on ESPN where Barry Smellrose writes an article that he should rest from olympics and be loyal to flyers. (in the same article he says that he will enjoy the olympics)

OK THANK YOU MR MELROSE BUT WHY IS EVERYONE ON PETERS CASE WHEN HE WANTS TO PLAY!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/index

The media is going to screw us over. :madfire: :madfire:

do they want to see the best players in olympics or not?

Last edited by a moderator:

NJDevs430

Jun 9, 2002
Visit site
SectionX said:
ESPN wants to see the USA have every advantage.
<(-:{
Seriously...I don't know what Melrose's motivation is. Either he honestly wants to see Forsberg rest up to finish the season healthy with the Flyers, or he honestly doesn't care too much for Team Sweden, or maybe neither.
Besides, ESPN doesn't give a rat's whiskers about hockey at any level. So what if the best players are or aren't on the ice? It has no effect on their NCAA basketball ratings.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
SectionX said:
Forsberg just made the first page story on ESPN where Barry Smellrose writes an article that he should rest from olympics and be loyal to flyers. (in the same article he says that he will enjoy the olympics)

OK THANK YOU MR MELROSE BUT WHY IS EVERYONE ON PETERS CASE WHEN HE WANTS TO PLAY!

Man, I so agree with you! The Olympics are one of the single most exciting hockey events of a player's career and from a fans standpoint too! I feel so bad for Team Sweden, getting such a bum rap from players and media. I hope foppa decides to do what's best for him and his country, and not bend to NHL or media pressure.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
I agree with SectionX, but it won't change anything. Forsberg, while he would never admit it as long as he is an NHL:er, would almost certainly rather win a best on best for Sweden than a Stanley Cup for Philadelphia. He'll be there, unless he is so injured he can't skate.

And some moron from ESPN can't do a damn about it.

OldTimeHockey

Oct 20, 2003
Visit site
Would the smart move for Forsberg not be to sit out?
I can't stand Melrose, but a groin injury is a pain in, well the groin, and 2 weeks rest would do wonders. I understand him wanting to be there for his country, but at the same time, he's getting paid to perform for Philadelphia...

SChan*

I just don't understand why ESPN think this is first page news? I thought they should promote the NHL with the best players.

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
SectionX said:
I just don't understand why ESPN think this is first page news? I thought they should promote the NHL with the best players.

Actually, I think the front page news is about College Football Signing Day. ;)

And besides, just like some other people have stated, it's ESPN. The station that will air the World's Strongest Man Competition circa. 1987 before they air a hockey game. Personally, I would rather see a hockey game then a bunch of neanderthall's throwing around tractor tires and blocks of cement, but hey, according to ESPN, that's what the average American viewer wants to see.

Yeah, I guess you could say that I've got some unresolved issues with good old ESPN...effing MORONS! :madfire:

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
why does everyone think this is a conspiracy? (at least ESPN is talking about hockey and the Olympics)

I've heard Canadian media say the same thing about S. Niedermayer. It is a valid arguement. Very tough spot for the players though.

Maybe there should be a rule about injuries and participation so the decision is taken out the players hands - either way he's going to disappoint someone.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
OldTimeHockey said:
Would the smart move for Forsberg not be to sit out?
I can't stand Melrose, but a groin injury is a pain in, well the groin, and 2 weeks rest would do wonders.
Exactly, the Olympics start in two weeks time, he should use that time to rest.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
If it makes you feel better, Canadian media guys on T.S.N have been saying that some of the injury hobbled Canadian guys(ie. Neidermayer) should probably sit out too. I mean, face it, most injuries will only be exacerbated in the Olympics.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
SectionX said:

Yeah, like if the media has any control over Forsberg. Forget about it, who cares? If Foppa wants to play, he will play. Don't you know that Americans always prefer the club over the national team? A national team is not part of American culture, they don't understand that. Just look at their basketball so called Dream Team. Do the American basketballers look like they really care to play for their country? I don't think so from what I've seen. They've criticized Mario Lemieux and Steve Yzerman for putting Team Canada on top of their NHL clubs so you bet they're going to do the same for Foppa.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Do you honestly think Forsberg cares what Barry Melrose thinks? If Forsberg wants to play, he will. If he doesn't, he won't. Nothing Melrose or any other media figure says matters one iota.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Canuck21t said:
Yeah, like if the media has any control over Forsberg. Forget about it, who cares? If Foppa wants to play, he will play. Don't you know that Americans always prefer the club over the national team? A national team is not part of American culture, they don't understand that. Just look at their basketball so called Dream Team. Do the American basketballers look like they really care to play for their country? I don't think so from what I've seen. They've criticized Mario Lemieux and Steve Yzerman for putting Team Canada on top of their NHL clubs so you bet they're going to do the same for Foppa.
Barry Melrose is American? Someone had better tell him that, I don't think he's aware of that fact.

If you're going to bash Americans (which seems to be your sole reason for being here, judging from your posts) you should pick the targets of your little rants with a bit more care.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sotnos said:
Barry Melrose is American? Someone had better tell him that, I don't think he's aware of that fact.

I would say he's fairly aware of that fact.

In March 1998, the native of Canada was sworn in as a U.S. citizen.

Sotnos said:
If you're going to bash Americans (which seems to be your sole reason for being here, judging from your posts) you should pick the targets of your little rants with a bit more care.

Might want to do a little research before trying to get all snarky.

http://bios.espn.com/talent/barry_melrose

Holly Golightly

Aug 3, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Canuck21t said:
Don't you know that Americans always prefer the club over the national team? A national team is not part of American culture, they don't understand that.
Just to clarify, when you say 'they', are you referring to the typical American hockey fan?

Or, with regards to the following statement:

Canuck21t said:
Just look at their basketball so called Dream Team. Do the American basketballers look like they really care to play for their country?
...is the 'they' you are referring to American NHL players?

Just curious.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
If the Flyers actually stop Peter from competing in the Olympics he will simply not play for them any longer.

Period.

What has a more devastating impact for the Flyers, Forsberg beeing totally pissed that he could not play for Sweden or Forsberg out for a couple of weeks with an injury that might as well happen in one of the next Games for the Flyers?

SChan*

Force said:
If the Flyers actually stop Peter from competing in the Olympics he will simply not play for them any longer.

Period.

What has a more devastating impact for the Flyers, Forsberg beeing totally pissed that he could not play for Sweden or Forsberg out for a couple of weeks with an injury that might as well happen in one of the next Games for the Flyers?

exactly.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
Force said:

Period.

How exactly can they stop him? I thought it were ultimatly up to the players.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Force said:
If the Flyers actually stop Peter from competing in the Olympics
They can't.

If he plans not to play for them any longer, why in the world would he give in ? That just doesn't make any sense.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
pihinalle said:
They just can. We have seen that happening recently.

And you don't you think that the players have had a say at all in that? As I've understood it, even if Philly forbids Forsberg to go to the olympics, he can still decide if he wants to respects his employers wishes or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad