GDT: It's Getting Hot in Herrr (Yeo Hot) So Take Out All The Rookies- Blues vs Habs 6pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Maybe the guys can learn how to control the block or at least get it to go the other way, that's burned the Blues twice.

On the Bernie show, JR said he talked to Yeo and he said the Blues are using both Zone and MOM. I believe several posters have picked up on this. This has to be confusing as hell for the players. If your using MOM you can't just follow the guy, you have to push them to an area of the ice where they run out of room. If we ignore the dzone issues, the Blues offense still looks awful, alot of 1 and done and missing the net.

JR gave the impression that managment isnt eager to get rid of Yeo. I cant remember if it was Bernie or JR, but they referenced DA hand picked Yeo and managment may not want to look bad. I dont agree with that at all. Armstrong has had no issue undoing something he's done if the opportunity is there. JR said the Blues may reevaluate around the 20-30 mark. If @Majorityof1 is correct, the season will already be done by then.

I'm hoping their mind is made up next Tuesday. This isnt an issue with Chemistry

I think JR is misreading the situation. I think if we were at worst .500 and close to the last wildcard spot at game #10-15, then Yeo would get more time. If we are at the bottom and playing crap hockey, then he'll get the Davis Payne treatment. Army knows the point to which the season is unrecoverable, and depending on how bad it gets, we are dangerously close to it.

With the way we are playing, the schedule gets kind of brutal. Some obvious loses in Toronto and Winnipeg, and then games that should've been competitive that right now are likely loses in Columbus, Chicago, Minnesota, Vegas, San Jose, etc.

I don't think any of us expected him to fire Hitch in what was already his last season.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I thought there would be some uneven play with all the new faces. I worries that Allen would play poorly and cost points at times. But neither of those things are the main issue. What we are seeing looks like a fundamental failure to effectively communicate or instill the foundational system the staff want to use. If that isn’t the #1 job of a coach, I don’t know what it is.

Maybe they are on the cusp of figuring it out and we’ll see why they want to play this was. But it sure doesn’t feel like that.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think JR is misreading the situation. I think if we were at worst .500 and close to the last wildcard spot at game #10-15, then Yeo would get more time. If we are at the bottom and playing crap hockey, then he'll get the Davis Payne treatment. Army knows the point to which the season is unrecoverable, and depending on how bad it gets, we are dangerously close to it.
Absolutely, I'd reflect on his decision to move Stastny. He had a block of games he gave the team to perform and if it didnt go well, he would act. This team doesn't look like they are on the verge of getting it together, they look progressively worse. I dont care about Montreal's start. That is not a good team, it was a team of guys playing their system. As soon as the Blues resembled a hockey team, they couldn't do anything to Stl, unfortunately Stl looked even worse for 2/3rd of the game. This team not starting on time, this team not playing with urgency, this teams inability to perform simple tasks like hitting the damn net or passing the puck, this is on coaching.

Reactions: Robb_K and Bendak

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Absolutely, I'd reflect on his decision to move Stastny. He had a block of games he gave the team to perform and if it didnt go well, he would act. This team doesn't look like they are on the verge of getting it together, they look progressively worse. I dont care about Montreal's start. That is not a good team, it was a team of guys playing their system. As soon as the Blues resembled a hockey team, they couldn't do anything to Stl, unfortunately Stl looked even worse for 2/3rd of the game. This team not starting on time, this team not playing with urgency, this teams inability to perform simple tasks like hitting the damn net or passing the puck, this is on coaching.

Stastny is probably even better of an example. We still had a legitimate shot at the playoffs, and presumably, Stastny is someone that would've been easy to bring back if we kept him, he wasn't like Shattenkirk.

It's insane that playing a complete game is still an issue for this team. I don't know what is wrong, but the same issues have plagued multiple coaches and there has been decent roster turnover as well. Shouldn't be difficult to execute the gameplan for 60 minutes.

Reactions: Bendak and Dbrownss

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
He didn’t overhaul the roster to the extent he did, and benefit from the excitement and sales it generated coming off a missed playoff year, only to let it play out slowly if it looks like this for much longer. There could also be a game theory element going on with some other struggling teams. If I am Yeo, I probably want teams like EDM and DET to pick up a few wins right now.

Reactions: Bendak

illininer

Apr 30, 2014
Illinois
Seems like everything has been covered so far.

I will say Jordan Kyrou is a stud. Kid uses his speed to create so many plays, yet still has the ability to slow it down and thread the needle on a cross ice pass to an open cutter (which they will inevitably shoot into the goalies chest or completely miss the net :rolleyes:). So glad we didn't trade him.

Reactions: tomin and Bendak

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
I see lots of people complaining about team speed, that the Blues are slow. I don't know how true that is (I don't think they are particularly slow), but if most other teams are quicker than the Blues, have more rapid players, then for me, this man to man defense is suicide. How do you man mark if you can't keep up?

I don't think the Blues as a team are especially slow, but they definitely aren't fast though. I'd say Schenn, Schwartz, Parayko, Bozak, Thomas, Tarasenko and Kyrou all have good to above average speed or acceleration, or in Kyrou's case both. Everybody else is either average or below average. Pietrangelo and ROR are tremendous positionally and have great hockey smarts and clearly good skillset, so their average speed doesn't tend to be an issue.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Seems like everything has been covered so far.

I will say Jordan Kyrou is a stud. Kid uses his speed to create so many plays, yet still has the ability to slow it down and thread the needle on a cross ice pass to an open cutter (which they will inevitably shoot into the goalies chest or completely miss the net :rolleyes:). So glad we didn't trade him.

So much this. He and Thomas could be a dynamite combination at some point in the future.

Mar 6, 2012
They could be, but because they play for the Blues, they won't be. Nothing good will ever happen to this team or fans of this team.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Maybe the guys can learn how to control the block or at least get it to go the other way, that's burned the Blues twice.

On the Bernie show, JR said he talked to Yeo and he said the Blues are using both Zone and MOM. I believe several posters have picked up on this. This has to be confusing as hell for the players. If your using MOM you can't just follow the guy, you have to push them to an area of the ice where they run out of room. If we ignore the dzone issues, the Blues offense still looks awful, alot of 1 and done and missing the net.

JR gave the impression that managment isnt eager to get rid of Yeo. I cant remember if it was Bernie or JR, but they referenced DA hand picked Yeo and managment may not want to look bad. I dont agree with that at all. Armstrong has had no issue undoing something he's done if the opportunity is there. JR said the Blues may reevaluate around the 20-30 mark. If @Majorityof1 is correct, the season will already be done by then.

I'm hoping their mind is made up next Tuesday. This isnt an issue with Chemistry
Plus, this is the worst possible year to use the chemistry excuse after Vegas' run last year lol.

I mean, that was a fluke, but coming out and blaming chemistry when a team full of players who had never played with each other just went to the Cup would look really bad and destroy their credibility.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS

JR continues to show that he really has no idea what management actually thinks. If he really believes Armstrong won't fire Yeo in fear of looking bad, he must of forgotten how Armstrong fired someone who he was actually friends with and had 20+ years of history in Hitch. Army may not make all of the right decisions, but you can't say he is afraid of firing a coach.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
JR continues to show that he really has no idea what management actually thinks. If he really believes Armstrong won't fire Yeo in fear of looking bad, he must of forgotten how Armstrong fired someone who he was actually friends with and had 20+ years of history in Hitch. Army may not make all of the right decisions, but you can't say he is afraid of firing a coach.
Yep, and considering Army doesnt let much of anything leak, JR is just as clueless. Idk he may not push the Yeo needs to go narrative since he actually interacts with the guy.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Plus, this is the worst possible year to use the chemistry excuse after Vegas' run last year lol.

I mean, that was a fluke, but coming out and blaming chemistry when a team full of players who had never played with each other just went to the Cup would look really bad and destroy their credibility.

This is a point worth mentioning for sure. I don’t expect us to jump right in and be that, but there is no way to use that excuse for this either. This isn’t new guys learning each other. How would that explain how terrible Petro and J-Bo look?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, I don’t get JR’s logic. What would make Armstrong look REALLY bad is missing the playoffs, not firing Yeo.

This is a point worth mentioning for sure. I don’t expect us to jump right in and be that, but there is no way to use that excuse for this either. This isn’t new guys learning each other. How would that explain how terrible Petro and J-Bo look?
Right. And the new guys, for the most part, haven’t been the problem.

Reactions: Dbrownss and Bendak

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The team just looks clumsy out there, I don't have another word for it. Guys are falling all over the ice, simple passes are being flubbed, pucks are getting caught in player's skates, the list goes on. It's like this roster forgot how to hold a stick and stay upright over the offseason.

Reactions: Dbrownss and Bendak

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
The team just looks clumsy out there, I don't have another word for it. Guys are falling all over the ice, simple passes are being flubbed, pucks are getting caught in player's skates, the list goes on. It's like this roster forgot how to hold a stick and stay upright over the offseason.
100% this.

I call it playing with the yips

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I don't think the Blues as a team are especially slow, but they definitely aren't fast though. I'd say Schenn, Schwartz, Parayko, Bozak, Thomas, Tarasenko and Kyrou all have good to above average speed or acceleration, or in Kyrou's case both. Everybody else is either average or below average. Pietrangelo and ROR are tremendous positionally and have great hockey smarts and clearly good skillset, so their average speed doesn't tend to be an issue.
Add Fabbri to that list when he's healthy.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The team looks like they are on the back side of a 3 hour pickup game with only 10 skaters

Reactions: Bendak and tomin

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It's hard to get a read on something after just one game and 12-ish minutes of play, especially if you're trying to pay attention to other things at the same time.

To me, it was something of a mixed bag. His speed and creativity were evident a few times, and he made a few nice plays in the offensive zone. Was involved in several really good scoring chances. Looked reasonably on the same page with his linemates given the complete lack of time with them previously. The puck seems to find him, so he was involved in the play a lot. Was definitely visible.

Tried to force some plays and do too much on his own a few times as well, but it's a bit unclear why. Does he feel pressure to try to push the play and make something happen to help the team win, or even just to stay on that line? Probably. Is some of it the usual process of figuring out exactly what he can and can't do at this level? Probably that as well. I'd much rather see him pushing than playing timid, or constantly deferring to others, but there's a price to be paid for that until he settles in.

Defensively, he does some nice things to disrupt breakouts in the offensive zone. I'd like to see him applying more pressure to the puck through the neutral zone instead of being content to fill space, but honestly the latter seems like what the coaching staff is asking them to do. There's effort in the defensive zone, but it's not always effective effort. He's definitely not just floating out high waiting for a chance to sprint down the other way, but there's also some confusion evident in who he should be taking at what time. It's not the confusion that comes from inattention, necessarily. I see him looking around a lot, and he often moves to spots quickly once he's in motion. It's just not intuitive yet where those spots should be, so there are definitely times where you can see him thinking before he begins to move.

Considering that much of the rest of the team has shown similar confusion in the defensive zone to start this season, it's once again hard to get a read on how much of that is on him, specifically.

Did he look significantly worse on that line than Maroon? Not to me. I think that line was better with Kyrou...but Kyrou and Maroon aren't the only options.

Reactions: stlwahoo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->