GDT: It's Getting Hot in Herrr (Yeo Hot) So Take Out All The Rookies- Blues vs Habs 6pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How was the first goal an awful play by Pietrangelo? Three Blues players were caught flat-footed on the wall and Allen let in a muffin shot. All Pietrangelo did was take his man.

Are you suggesting that Pietrangelo should have taken the man Tarasenko was engaged with and abandoned the one that nobody else could cover?
Yes, I am suggesting that Pietrangelo could have played it much better than just letting Domi walk right in and do whatever he wanted.

It’s basically a 2-on-1, you don’t just “take your man” and essentially allow a breakaway.

Reactions: Bendak

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You absolutely do. 99% of all goalies tell their Dmen to cover the pass.
Yep, and Tarasenko was applying backside pressure. Allen just f***ed up. Though, its said backhanders are the hardest to read. Still though Allen had to have that

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Tonight really should be the end of this coaching staff. Montreal sucks, all they can do is try really hard. Once the Blues started to actually play in the 3rd, Montreal couldn't do anything about it, except the Blues OZ work isnt that great.

While the PP has success, it generally looks like dumb luck that they score....

The defense is brutal, if man on man is extinct, why are they still trying it How has the plug not been pulled?

The offense is still crap.

The easiest fix is removing Yeo and the coaching staff. I dont think Tippet is leaving whatever is going on in Seattle.

If AV is the realistic option......is that a good thing to look forward to? I remember hearing his DZ work was terrible and would leave low alot vulnerable. I remember the Rangers flying so it was uptempo and he could counter attack really well.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Yes, I am suggesting that Pietrangelo could have played it much better than just letting Domi walk right in and do whatever he wanted.

It’s basically a 2-on-1, you don’t just “take your man” and essentially allow a breakaway.
Tarasenko was all over Domi's back, and was positioned to interfere with Domi's stick should he make any attempt to bring the puck to his forehand. As long as Pietrangelo stayed on his man, Domi was limited to either taking an awkward backhand shot, a shot which should be stopped almost every time since the goalie was set on that angle, or fighting through Tarasenko's interference to try to create something on his forehand.

If Pietrangelo leaves his man, there's a wide open guy just waiting for a puck to be slid to him or to have a rebound come his way, and the goalie isn't going to be in a position to stop either without pulling off a miracle.

I think Pietrangelo played that exactly the way he was supposed to once Tarasenko committed the way he did in transition.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'm from IL. I had a choice. :facepalm:

I'm from BC, and lived in Saskatchewan... I could have cheered for any western Canadian team and not looked like a bandwagoner...

Now I proudly sport the Blue note in the Yukon Territory, near Alaska where I'm more often asked what sport I'm a fan of, than how I started cheering for St Louis, having never lived in the US.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
its * * * *ing sad .. we have the talent to compete on this roster ( in my mind ) .. wtf :huh: so many issues ..so many breakdowns ..we got worse not better

but hey we can score on the pp so there is that i guess :thumbd:

Last edited:

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
The defense is brutal, if man on man is extinct, why are they still trying it How has the plug not been pulled?

The most interesting thing about this, is that the man-on-man coverage is almost literally what got Hitch fired. He went to MOM coverage to start the season, the year started of like a trainwreck. He got fired and then Yeo switched back to zone when he came in and the team got back on track. I'm wondering now if going MOM was a suggestion from Yeo in the first place, and he's trying it again expecting different results.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
"The beginning of a downfall?" vs. "High expectations, bottom of the gutter results." That's clearly a rant/vent? Hmm, ok. And again, looking at the rest of the Jets thread, i'm not seeing much difference in sentiment.

Ah well, have a good night ladies and gent, let's hope the Leafs keep the score in the single digits. Peace and bacon grease!

Thank god I have Matthews on one of my fantasy teams.

Mafisen

Oct 14, 2018
I see lots of people complaining about team speed, that the Blues are slow. I don't know how true that is (I don't think they are particularly slow), but if most other teams are quicker than the Blues, have more rapid players, then for me, this man to man defense is suicide. How do you man mark if you can't keep up?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The most interesting thing about this, is that the man-on-man coverage is almost literally what got Hitch fired. He went to MOM coverage to start the season, the year started of like a trainwreck. He got fired and then Yeo switched back to zone when he came in and the team got back on track. I'm wondering now if going MOM was a suggestion from Yeo in the first place, and he's trying it again expecting different results.
I absolutely hated Yeo's zone system but at least it wasnt embarrassing

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I absolutely hated Yeo's zone system but at least it wasnt embarrassing

Agreed. I disliked the collapse and block simply b/c:

(a) we had at least two pivotal players (Stas and Schwartz) who can't seem to survive a season if asked to take a lot of shots to the legs and ankles. Now it's just Schwartz; and
(b) I don't know that blocking the initial shot and potentially creating unpredictable deflections necessarily is the most consistent way to keep the puck out of the net.

Still, that system was better than what we are seeing now....as you and others have underscored.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agreed. I disliked the collapse and block simply b/c:

(a) we had at least two pivotal players (Stas and Schwartz) who can't seem to survive a season if asked to take a lot of shots to the legs and ankles. Now it's just Schwartz; and
(b) I don't know that blocking the initial shot and potentially creating unpredictable deflections necessarily is the most consistent way to keep the puck out of the net.

Still, that system was better than what we are seeing now....as you and others have underscored.
Maybe the guys can learn how to control the block or at least get it to go the other way, that's burned the Blues twice.

On the Bernie show, JR said he talked to Yeo and he said the Blues are using both Zone and MOM. I believe several posters have picked up on this. This has to be confusing as hell for the players. If your using MOM you can't just follow the guy, you have to push them to an area of the ice where they run out of room. If we ignore the dzone issues, the Blues offense still looks awful, alot of 1 and done and missing the net.

JR gave the impression that managment isnt eager to get rid of Yeo. I cant remember if it was Bernie or JR, but they referenced DA hand picked Yeo and managment may not want to look bad. I dont agree with that at all. Armstrong has had no issue undoing something he's done if the opportunity is there. JR said the Blues may reevaluate around the 20-30 mark. If @Majorityof1 is correct, the season will already be done by then.

I'm hoping their mind is made up next Tuesday. This isnt an issue with Chemistry

Last edited:

Mar 6, 2012
We've returned to our roles as the Washington Generals of the NHL. We're in the league solely to give other team fun victories.

Blues fans deserve better than this. Why does this always happen? Why is it something always happen?

I'm so disappointed and shocked and disappointed and angry and annoyed... being a Blues fan gets harder and harder every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad