Post-Game Talk: It's Bennys Fault. We Lost. Jets 7 - Flyers 1

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
And....Neuvirth with the under (30 minutes)! At least the only thing he re-injured today was his reputation as a professional goalie. Go ahead Hakstool....play him again.

I dont have an issue with Hak playing Neuvy. @ns half of a back to back, Stolie still coming new in there, etc. But AS for the rest. I dont have words. Sure, Hellybuk stood on his head for the first 5 minutes,but the rest of the game as absolute shit.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
My wife just said “ why don’t you become a Penguins fan?”” You would sleep better.”
41oZAfyyLhL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Flyers are terrible with no compete. If the game is played like practice we win but when the big boys compete like CLB and Jets we have no chance. DO we have a good players next to G? HAHAHAHAHAHA disgrace.

Reactions: JXC

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
At this point, I don't know whether to laugh or cry that we still employ a clueless college coach who never won anything even at the college level, more aptly fitting the bill as a high school coach, a PK coach who is apparently only still employed because he took a slapshot to the face, and several players taking regular shifts who wouldn't get invited to 30 other NHL training camps.
But if all this pain means us getting Coach Q as a late Christmas gift, bring on more of the same.
giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A lot of nonsense as usual.
Flyers dominated the 1st period, were down 2-0 due to two soft goals.
Get back to 2-1, another soft goal, gee, a team that traveled a 1,000 miles on a back to back deflated at that point.

You've see this again and again, it's not "fragile confidence," they've managed to come back a few times this year, but when your goalies dig you a deep hole to start a game, no team is going to come storming back every night, especially when they're more of a defensive, forechecking team than a high powered offense. It takes a lot of luck as well as drive to overcome 2-3 goal deficits on a regular basis.

It's the goalies stupid, put any HC in there, and as long as the Flyers have to roll out BAD (not mediocre, but downright putrid) goalies, they're going to struggle. Look at St Louis, they have more talent than the Flyers (Thomas and Kyrou struggle to find PT) and they're struggling just like the Flyers.

Look at the heat map, tell me which team dominated the game:

20182019-20455-5v5.png

Which is why firing Hakstol and waiving Lehtera, MacDonald, etc. would make no difference, bring the kids up from LHV and they'll struggle even more. Flyers are among the leaders in FEWEST scoring chances allowed, so a new coach isn't going to suddenly make them a great defensive team.

What will turn the season around is getting Elliott healthy, rotating him with Stolarz, and hoping we can get decent goaltending every night.

Though someone should tell Wilson not to pair Hagg with Gudas, that really exposes Gudas' lack of speed.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Get back to 2-1, another soft goal, gee, a team that traveled a 1,000 miles on a back to back deflated at that point.

You've see this again and again, it's not "fragile confidence," they've managed to come back a few times this year, but when your goalies dig you a deep hole to start a game, no team is going to come storming back every night, especially when they're more of a defensive, forechecking team than a high powered offense. It takes a lot of luck as well as drive to overcome 2-3 goal deficits on a regular basis.

It's the goalies stupid, put any HC in there, and as long as the Flyers have to roll out BAD (not mediocre, but downright putrid) goalies, they're going to struggle. Look at St Louis, they have more talent than the Flyers (Thomas and Kyrou struggle to find PT) and they're struggling just like the Flyers.

20182019-20455-5v5.png

Which is why firing Hakstol and waiving Lehtera, MacDonald, etc. would make no difference, bring the kids up from LHV and they'll struggle even more. Flyers are among the leaders in FEWEST scoring chances allowed, so a new coach isn't going to suddenly make them a great defensive team.

What will turn the season around is getting Elliott healthy, rotating him with Stolarz, and hoping we can get decent goaltending every night.

Though someone should tell Wilson not to pair Hagg with Gudas, that really exposes Gudas' lack of speed.

Look at how one team lives on the perimeter. That is Hakstol. That's why be must be fired before any change is made because there is no roster he won't guide to annual embarrassment.

Do you not think there is a single coach, anywhere, who is superior to Hakstol?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Look at how one team lives on the perimeter. That is Hakstol. That's why be must be fired before any change is made because there is no roster he won't guide to annual embarrassment.

Yup. Ideally they fire Hakstol and whoever the new coach is brings a fresh approach. Then you wait 10 games or so to see who fits in with that approach before looking to make a big trade.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yup. Ideally they fire Hakstol and whoever the new coach is brings a fresh approach. Then you wait 10 games or so to see who fits in with that approach before looking to make a big trade.

Unfortunately it takes a while for a new system to really be implemented.

Which is why this needed to happen long ago so we could have time to get any needed trades in before the deadline, and ideally before prices skyrocket.

Hakstol is a cancer rotting this team to death.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Unfortunately it takes a while for a new system to really be implemented.

Which is why this needed to happen long ago so we could have time to get any needed trades in before the deadline, and ideally before prices skyrocket.

Hakstol is a cancer rotting this team to death.

It still blows my f***ing mind that Hextall couldnt see any of this.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

20182019-20455-5v5.png

But that's the point though, isn't it? If we accept that this team isn't ready to compete for the playoffs, why are we consistently rotating the same (McD, Lehtera, Weise) etc, when there are young guys raring to go, and whose development requires playing time? Instead, this coach routinely benches or demotes these same guys, and crushes any kind of confidence they may have had. He himself admitted to being a poor communicator. Most notably though, he has had 4 YEARS to change that approach and to improve. Instead, this team is seemingly getting worse. How can you defend his position with those kinds of results? You really should re-consider who you are calling stupid.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
But that's the point though, isn't it? If we accept that this team isn't ready to compete for the playoffs, why are we consistently rotating the same (McD, Lehtera, Weise) etc, when there are young guys raring to go, and whose development requires playing time? Instead, this coach routinely benches or demotes these same guys, and crushes any kind of confidence they may have had. He himself admitted to being a poor communicator. Most notably though, he has had 4 YEARS to change that approach and to improve. Instead, this team is seemingly getting worse. How can you defend his position with those kinds of results? You really should re-consider who you are calling stupid.

BINGO!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No team gives up the playoff chase this early in the season, especially when a turnaround is a real possibility.
Next back to back is Vancouver, Elliott should be ready by then, and Stolarz with a day or two of rest so far has looked good.
So if I'm Fletcher, I'll refrain from taking major action until I see this pair the next few weeks, and whether they can stabilize the team.

As far as changing coaches, all I read here are wet dream fantasies (Q), or "just change it" which means Gordon or Knob.
So what's the rush?
You know you'll hate Gordon more than Hakstol, and no one knows if Knob can coach in the NHL, or whether the veterans will even take him seriously.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Do you not think there is a single coach, anywhere, who is superior to Hakstol?

See an eye doctor.
Those charts are identical.
So much for "living on the perimeter."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad