It's amazing how similar we are as fans

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
As teams get eliminated I like to check out their post game threads. Not sure why, maybe I'm just morbid like that. In any event maybe there are only so many excuses to go around, but it seems to me we are all pretty similar as fan bases when it comes to reasoning why our team lost.

What I see as common excuse in almost every thread:

1. "Our star player(s) didn't do enough" We sure heard it here about Sid and Geno. I don't think it was true in Sid's case, but it didn't stop people from blaming him. Ovechkin took his share of blame for the Caps loss and even Lundqvist took some blame from the fans on the Rags board which is simply absurd.

2. "Coach xxxxx didn't make enough adjustments" I don't know, but only so many adjustments can be made, sometimes you just might not have an answer for the other team's best.

3. "Goalie's fault" True or not we hear it every year here and every other board as well.

4. "We will never win by paying xxxx and/or xxxx so much money" I'm surprised to see this one so often in all honesty. Every fan wants big stars on their team, but it seems they are quick to point out they make too much money when they don't win the Cup, just like 28 other teams every year.

5. "Power play failed us" Well, yea. One of the keys to winning a seven game series is shutting down your opponents power play. I think it's more part of a good strategy to beat a team rather than an excuse as to why your team lost.

The one I don't see as often as you would think is blaming the officials, seems fans have resorted to turning on their own more often than not.

All the above may be legit reasons a team didn't win but I find it odd they are the reasons all 15 teams that get eliminated didn't win. Sometimes, the better team just wins.

We are more similar as fans than one would think.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
As teams get eliminated I like to check out their post game threads. Not sure why, maybe I'm just morbid like that. In any event maybe there are only so many excuses to go around, but it seems to me we are all pretty similar as fan bases when it comes to reasoning why our team lost.

What I see as common excuse in almost every thread:

1. "Our star player(s) didn't do enough" We sure heard it here about Sid and Geno. I don't think it was true in Sid's case, but it didn't stop people from blaming him. Ovechkin took his share of blame for the Caps loss and even Lundqvist took some blame from the fans on the Rags board which is simply absurd.

2. "Coach xxxxx didn't make enough adjustments" I don't know, but only so many adjustments can be made, sometimes you just might not have an answer for the other team's best.

3. "Goalie's fault" True or not we hear it every year here and every other board as well.

4. "We will never win by paying xxxx and/or xxxx so much money" I'm surprised to see this one so often in all honesty. Every fan wants big stars on their team, but it seems they are quick to point out they make too much money when they don't win the Cup, just like 28 other teams every year.

5. "Power play failed us" Well, yea. One of the keys to winning a seven game series is shutting down your opponents power play. I think it's more part of a good strategy to beat a team rather than an excuse as to why your team lost.

The one I don't see as often as you would think is blaming the officials, seems fans have resorted to turning on their own more often than not.

All the above may be legit reasons a team didn't win but I find it odd they are the reasons all 15 teams that get eliminated didn't win. Sometimes, the better team just wins.

We are more similar as fans than one would think.

i don't think any of 1, 3, or 4 were common opinions this year. maybe a lot of idiots said the first one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad