Post-Game Talk: It's a Wiebe's World. Jets win 6-2.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I didn't get to watch much of the game but I thought Dano looked good in the limited amount I got to watch, what did others think? I still think he could be a good bottom 6 guy if he had a regular role. We just have too many forwards and a coach that loves Matt Hendricks like he's his son.

Reactions: Tommigun

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I want Roslo on the pp over Armia. I also think that while Chef is injured they should play Ehlers on the pp1 instead of Little as it seems like it would give them another option. It's amazing that pp2 currently does not have a center and perrault was taking the draws.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I didn't get to watch much of the game but I thought Dano looked good in the limited amount I got to watch, what did others think? I still think he could be a good bottom 6 guy if he had a regular role. We just have too many forwards and a coach that loves Matt Hendricks like he's his son.
I didn't mind Dano too much. I would still take Tanev over his play right now. Tanev was great on the forecheck and showed some offensive skill. Not enough to be anything more than a 4th 3rd liner on a checking line.

Reactions: sipowicz

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I want Roslo on the pp over Armia. I also think that while Chef is injured they should play Ehlers on the pp1 instead of Little as it seems like it would give them another option. It's amazing that pp2 currently does not have a center and perrault was taking the draws.

I think Ehlers on PP1 in place of Wheeler, partially for zone entries and partially for creativity.

Wheeler was doing good for a while. I don't know what changed (Scheif?) but now he mostly seems like he spends half of his time on the ice trying to keep possession instead of trying to be creative and creating scoring chances.

Reactions: adammlis

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think Ehlers on PP1 in place of Wheeler, partially for zone entries and partially for creativity.

Wheeler was doing good for a while. I don't know what changed (Scheif?) but now he mostly seems like he spends half of his time on the ice trying to keep possession instead of trying to be creative and creating scoring chances.

Wheeler is the one feeding Laine. Why would you want to replace him with Ehlers. Having a right shot there on the half wall,is important.

Reactions: Sixty Minute Man

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Wheeler is the one feeding Laine. Why would you want to replace him with Ehlers. Having a right shot there on the half wall,is important.

Maybe it's just a slump, but Wheeler hasn't looked good on the PP for while now. Maybe other teams are figuring out that he's going to be looking for that pass?

I remember a while back, he would push further into the slot to make something happen, where he could either shoot or get a quicker pass through to Laine. He has the skill, he should be challenging the defenders and making them think imo.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

Wheeler is tied for the league lead in power play points, he's doing just fine.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Wheeler is tied for the league lead in power play points, he's doing just fine.

You're right, but most of those points were a while ago. I know slumps happen, but we only have 3 PP goals in the month of March. I don't know how many PPs we've had, but that can't be a good record.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
You're right, but most of those points were a while ago. I know slumps happen, but we only have 3 PP goals in the month of March. I don't know how many PPs we've had, but that can't be a good record.
I do agree that the PP has been a bit stale of late, I find it to be more about zone entry and puck retrieval though. When we set up, we look as dangerous as ever, but it has seemed like we have had less puck control in the offensive zone lately imo. I think it will improve when Scheif is healthy, he can carry the puck into the zone and is very good down low and along the boards digging pucks out when we are forced to dump it in.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Maybe it's just a slump, but Wheeler hasn't looked good on the PP for while now. Maybe other teams are figuring out that he's going to be looking for that pass?

I remember a while back, he would push further into the slot to make something happen, where he could either shoot or get a quicker pass through to Laine. He has the skill, he should be challenging the defenders and making them think imo.

I disagree. He looks fine to me.

But regardless. Ehlers doesn't work there the way PP1 is constructed and designed.

You don't reinvent the wheel at this point and change the design and objective. That is best done in the offseason.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

I agree. Load up PP1 and watch the magic. As good as it's been, I think it can be even better. It's starting to get a little predictable anyway. Maybe Mo's waiting for playoffs so he can unleash some shock and awe. Ehlers-Scheif-Laine-Stastny-Morrisey/Buff.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's not Wheeler that is causing the sag in the PP. Teams know that we are working the puck around to open that cross ice seam or bump pass into the slot. They are collapsing to cover that. What we need to do is start launching bombs from the point (Buff, Trouba, Morrissey and Maybe Chia with his rocket?) That used to be our primary method to score on the PP. If we start doing that more we will keep teams PK's off balance and have more success with down low plays.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
I agree. Load up PP1 and watch the magic. As good as it's been, I think it can be even better. It's starting to get a little predictable anyway. Maybe Mo's waiting for playoffs so he can unleash some shock and awe. Ehlers-Scheif-Laine-Stastny-Morrisey/Buff.

Ehlers doesn't work on PP1 because he's a left shot. The position Little was in last night needs to be a right shot so that wheeler has all the options from his half wall side. He can feed buff high for a one timer, across to Laine for the one timer, or Little (Scheifele) in the slot for the quick one timer. He also has the Stastny option down low and as a left shot down there, he's got his stick on the outside so Wheeler has the seam to him, too. The only player Ehlers could replace in this set up is Stastny, but Ehlers is not the style of player who's going to grind out pucks in the corner and get it back to Wheeler. (not saying he can't, just that his skillset is better served in a different role than that). Connor filled this role on this unit before Stastny's arrival.

PP2 goes through Ehlers at the left point (where Laine is on PP1). He gains the zone with speed and almost always turns back towards that spot. PP2 is effective with quick puck movement versus the static set up that PP1 employs, completely different approaches, which is great because it makes it hard to plan for as PKers, you can't just have one set up, you have to be prepared to defend both.

Each player on both units have a specific function and role. That's why you see Armia in the Little (Scheifele) spot on PP1 occasionally, because he's the right handed shot that's needed for that spot. Watching the Jets PPs versus some other teams, you can really see that every single pass and player rotation is done with such a specific purpose to free up a lane or shot. It's very calculated and fun to watch.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Ehlers doesn't work on PP1 because he's a left shot. The position Little was in last night needs to be a right shot so that wheeler has all the options from his half wall side. He can feed buff high for a one timer, across to Laine for the one timer, or Little (Scheifele) in the slot for the quick one timer. He also has the Stastny option down low and as a left shot down there, he's got his stick on the outside so Wheeler has the seam to him, too. The only player Ehlers could replace in this set up is Stastny, but Ehlers is not the style of player who's going to grind out pucks in the corner and get it back to Wheeler. (not saying he can't, just that his skillset is better served in a different role than that). Connor filled this role on this unit before Stastny's arrival.

PP2 goes through Ehlers at the left point (where Laine is on PP1). He gains the zone with speed and almost always turns back towards that spot. PP2 is effective with quick puck movement versus the static set up that PP1 employs, completely different approaches, which is great because it makes it hard to plan for as PKers, you can't just have one set up, you have to be prepared to defend both.

Each player on both units have a specific function and role. That's why you see Armia in the Little (Scheifele) spot on PP1 occasionally, because he's the right handed shot that's needed for that spot. Watching the Jets PPs versus some other teams, you can really see that every single pass and player rotation is done with such a specific purpose to free up a lane or shot. It's very calculated and fun to watch.
Nice analysis. The Jets really have soooooo many ways to kill you on the PP.

Reactions: Oilpeg

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Was just coming here to post this. Was at the game and picked Dano as a player to focus on and he had a great game — quick, aggressive, some smart passes and d and constantly in the Hawks’ collective faces. One of the best players on the ice, IMO.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Wheeler tries to force to many passes and tries to skate through 2-3 defenders on the PP, he also tends to hang on to the puck too long when their are open passing lanes and guys open.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wheeler tries to force to many passes and tries to skate through 2-3 defenders on the PP, he also tends to hang on to the puck too long when their are open passing lanes and guys open.

I don't like how he always tries to pick that stick side corner. Teams are really keying in on taking away that middle passing lane to Laine though now so his options are becoming more limited. It was better when we had Scheif in there to sit in the middle and be another trigger man. It meant that either him or Laine would be open and they could move shift back and forth from the middle or the dot which meant they could get lost in traffic easier.

Reactions: sipowicz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->