Itech vs Oakley - on a Bauer helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junipero

Jun 11, 2003
Paradise, NL
Hey there,
Looking to get some opinions. I have Bauer 5100 helmet and I'm looking to switch from a full cage to a half shield/visor.

I'm either going to go with the Itech HX50 (Official visor of the CHL) or the Oakley Pro Hockey Aviator Visor.

If anyone has used these shields, especially with a bauer or nike helmet, I would appreciate hearing your opinion. Also, if you think a cheaper shield will work just as well, let me know.

thanks.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Can't go wrong with Itech, i still use my Pro 855's gloves that are like 4 years old and they are great, still have a ****** Itech helmet, although im gonna go with the Bauer as well. JUST DONT BUY RBK

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
I used the exact Oakley you're looking at last year and loved it. It was really really nice, but I took it off for summer hockey and have seemingly misplaced it. So I grabbed one of the Itechs a week ago at the arena off a buddy that plays Jr A, plus, working at Sportchek I get deals on stuff, so I can get the replacements. A couple of other guys I know use the Itech and absolutely love it, so really...it is personal preference.

I'm already sensing to like the Itech a little more. It's a little farther off your face and doesn't fog up AT ALL...the Oakley sat just off my nose and fogged quickly after a while

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
ToeDragFan said:
JUST DONT BUY RBK

Why not? I havn't found one problem with mine. It's durable, light, and sexy. I would reccomend this helmet to anyone who is willing to shell out good cash on a hockey helmet.

Junipero

Jun 11, 2003
Paradise, NL
THanks for all the opinions.

I have also been looking at the Itech Pro Wave as well. I'm not sure if I like the tinted or mirror variation cause I think it looks gimmicky, but the clear looks nice.

If the Oakley fogs up quicker than the Itechs, I guess its between the Pro Wave and the HX50.

slapsht25

Aug 3, 2005
i have had my pro wave tinted since they came out 3+ yrs and i love it it fogs very little

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Oakley is a good choice for a visor, I have an Oakley Pro Modified Aviator myself and I like it alot.

Just an important detail though, make sure to never use any other chemicals on it other than Oakley's own AFR visor spray to clean and protect it. It is exclusively made to clean Oakley (and 1Xcel) visors. If you use other brands, the visor might get a "milky" effect on it.

BrentZ10

Jun 30, 2005
There's nothing wrong with Reebok stuff. It's just CCM equipment with RBK stamped on it. As for the visor, if you are going for looks, Oakley, if you are going for price, Itech.

Junipero

Jun 11, 2003
Paradise, NL
Petey21 said:
Oakley is a good choice for a visor, I have an Oakley Pro Modified Aviator myself and I like it alot.

Just an important detail though, make sure to never use any other chemicals on it other than Oakley's own AFR visor spray to clean and protect it. It is exclusively made to clean Oakley (and 1Xcel) visors. If you use other brands, the visor might get a "milky" effect on it.

One of the guys I play with uses a Jofa visor and he told me that he uses Pledge Furniture spray on his visor to keep it from fogging up. He is a part time ref for Junior A games in the area and he says thats what the Junior A and QMJHL teams use on there visors. I know that Itech is the official visor of the CHL, so I guess Pledge works for Jofa and Itech, but probably not on Oakley. Has anyone else tried this?

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
Just to share... Last year I started using (drum roll please!) shampoo on my (Itech) visor every three or four games, and it never fogs up anymore! You just put a tiny bit of shampoo on a soft rag (less than if you were washing your hair) and wipe it on the visor until it's completely gone. It doesn't show at all, and prevents all fog. Besides, it also makes it smell nice.

Seriously, try it... everybody I've told has thanked me since.

(I don't know if that matters, but I use 2-in-1 shampoo ;) )

Kruky

Jul 30, 2005
Ottawa
eightyseven said:
Just to share... Last year I started using (drum roll please!) shampoo on my (Itech) visor every three or four games, and it never fogs up anymore! You just put a tiny bit of shampoo on a soft rag (less than if you were washing your hair) and wipe it on the visor until it's completely gone. It doesn't show at all, and prevents all fog. Besides, it also makes it smell nice.

Seriously, try it... everybody I've told has thanked me since.

(I don't know if that matters, but I use 2-in-1 shampoo ;) )

What brand of shampoo.

By the way, I love your avatar. Can I use it also?

Linda Hebert, toujour plus smart que les autres tabarnak

Marc Gagnon (7)

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
I've used both the Oakley/1Xcel visor and the Itech Pro-wave visor on my Bauer 4000 helmet. I didn't really find much difference between the two.
However, the problem with both of them on the Bauer helmet is that the visor sits very close to your face, and it doesn't leave any ventilation room at the top between the visor and the helmet. I found both visors fogged up quite a bit; a problem I didn't have with my old regular Itech visor.
I've since purchased an Itech 95 helmet, and the visors fit a little better: further away from my face, and has ventilation room between the visor and the helmet. Unfortunately, the helmet isn't quite as comfortable.

Junipero

Jun 11, 2003
Paradise, NL
I decided to go with the Itech Pro-Wave. I've worn it for 3 sessions now and its been great. It was a little tough to attach it to the helmet and still leave a little bit of room at the top for ventilation but I managed it.

It doesn't fog up too much, just a little when i'm sitting on the bench, and it clears as soon as I'm back on the ice. I do get sweat dripping on the inside a little, but I think I need to tuck my hair under my helmet better to avoid that. Or maybe use a bandana or something.

I never thought I'd say this, but after wearing a full cage for 16 years, I love wearing a half visor. There is no comparison with how much better you can see the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->