WJC: It'been 6 years since sweden won gold

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Hoping for another Finland vs Sweden WJC final. This team will compete;
Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Kuokkanen, Heiskanen , Vaakanainen,
Juolevi, Välimäki, Salo, Jokiharju (extra Räsänen).

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I guess if they're going to win it might as well be now.

Finland's got a pretty strong lineup too, however... And we know what happened the last time Sweden was supposed to win.

Reactions: illone84

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I guess if they're going to win it might as well be now.

Finland's got a pretty strong lineup too, however... And we know what happened the last time Sweden was supposed to win.

2012 was a very interesting wjc for me, since I was living in Alberta at the time. Sweden had a great team, Finland was pretty stacked but still not as much as Sverige, if I remember correctly. Really hoping to see Fin vs Swe in the semi or final on the small ice like in Calgary in 2012. Sweden looking good, but if Finland gets Tolvanen and Heiskanen they will be a real threat to any team.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
2012 was a very interesting wjc for me, since I was living in Alberta at the time. Sweden had a great team, Finland was pretty stacked but still not as much as Sverige, if I remember correctly. Really hoping to see Fin vs Swe in the semi or final on the small ice like in Calgary in 2012. Sweden looking good, but if Finland gets Tolvanen and Heiskanen they will be a real threat to any team.
Your comment brings up a question that's been going around in my head the past week or so. The NHL teams like to keep their young stars in their lineup if they're producing regularly, not permitting their release for the WJC. So do KHL teams have that same freedom to keep their kids from going? Specifically, if Tolvanen is deemed too important for Jokerit (he's nearly a point-per-game), is Finland out of luck?

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Your comment brings up a question that's been going around in my head the past week or so. The NHL teams like to keep their young stars in their lineup if they're producing regularly, not permitting their release for the WJC. So do KHL teams have that same freedom to keep their kids from going? Specifically, if Tolvanen is deemed too important for Jokerit (he's nearly a point-per-game), is Finland out of luck?

Finland is pretty deep even without Tolvanen. But I think it would be too much for Finland to lose both Tolvanen and Heiskanen. I'm not too sure about the situation with the Jokerit. I would think they will let him play, but then again, Tolvanen is expected to play in the Olympics as well. If I had to chose, personally, I would rather have Tolvanen participate in the Olympics. Going back to the KHL, I'm pretty darn sure that the Russian national team would prefer to have their best U20 players representing Russia in the WJC, regardless of how well they are producing in the KHL (my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt, I'm sure our Russian friends can tell you more about their young stars in the KHL).

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
KHL, just like any other championship organized by an IIHF member national federation, is required to release their players for international competition. Tolvanen will be there, no doubt.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Jukka Jalonen(head coach of Jokerit) said that "Of course Tolvanen will go to the championships. There's nothing unclear about it."

And by the way, that list above is OK but it for some reason lacks Heponiemi who's scored 60 points in WHL up until now(in 24 games).

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Jukka Jalonen(head coach of Jokerit) said that "Of course Tolvanen will go to the championships. There's nothing unclear about it."

And by the way, that list above is OK but it for some reason lacks Heponiemi who's scored 60 points in WHL up until now(in 24 games).
Yep. That's pretty clear! Thanks.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Let's make one thing absolutely clear: As long as Tolvanen and Heiskanen are healthy, there are no "ifs" about them taking part in the WJC. It's been confirmed by The Powers That Be.

Now back to the regular programming, which was... something about Sweden, methinks.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Sweden just lacks something in big games. 40 straight round robin wins but just one gold during those years.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Any updates regarding Alexander nylander? Also, does anybody know if FIN, CAN, SWE, USA are playing any WJC exhibition games this year (completely lost on this matter, and might want to catch a preliminary game if they have any in the GTA or in Buffalo)

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Don't know about the others but USA is playing Belarus on the 20th and Sweden on the 22nd. Neither game is in Buffalo but they must be nearby

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Any updates regarding Alexander nylander? Also, does anybody know if FIN, CAN, SWE, USA are playing any WJC exhibition games this year (completely lost on this matter, and might want to catch a preliminary game if they have any in the GTA or in Buffalo)
Canada is just playing two games pre-tournament. Against the Czechs and Swiss in London and Hamilton.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Nylander is available. It's up to Sweden if they want him.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Thanks guys. Anybody going to see an exhibition game? Going back to Nylander. Why would they not want him? Kid is amazing.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Bratt would be icing on the cake. Not gonna lie, my hopes are pretty high, but we've had so many heartbreaks in recent years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad