Italian roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
It's great to see Tony Iob playing for this team. I remember watching him in the early 90's for the greyhounds, when the hounds won the memorial cup in 93 in my home town. He was one of the Hounds best players.

It's too bad he never made the NHL.

Transported Upstater

Ste' said:
For sure my friend. Italy is the worse team of the Olympic Games. But I personally know a lot of them and they are proud to be part of this poor team and everyone of them are treat with great respect. I know that probably team Italy could lose 10 or 12 to 0 against Canada or Czech Rep. But they takes on an engagement and I'm sure about their self-denial. ;)

I'm of Italian descent only, and I'm damn proud of having an Italian team here. My family emigrated 100 years ago, , but we're still proud to be Italian, for sure.

All I want to see from the Italians is great effort in every game. The results don't matter.

I speak for many Italian Americans when I say I'll be cheering the red, white and green!

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
It will be very enjoyable to see the Italian hockey team in this olympics. I dont think they will do anything, but I think they could possibly make a good game and even get a tie or a win. Its not like these guys havent skated before.

Just wait. Just you wait.

Forza!

Ste'

May 21, 2004
Lenno -Lake Como-
TransportedUpstater said:
I'm of Italian descent only, and I'm damn proud of having an Italian team here. My family emigrated 100 years ago :handclap: , , but we're still proud to be Italian, for sure.

All I want to see from the Italians is great effort in every game. The results don't matter.

I speak for many Italian Americans when I say I'll be cheering the red, white and green!

I talked about Jason Cirone ( http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=1005 ) in 2001 when he came back to Italy after a brief experience in 1992-93. Asking why he decides to came back he told me: "to be part of the National Team for the Olympic games. I know my grandfather would be honoured about that, he emigrated long time ago and he taught us to be proud about our descent."

Transported Upstater

Ste' said:
I talked about Jason Cirone ( http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid[]=1005 ) in 2001 when he came back to Italy after a brief experience in 1992-93. Asking why he decides to came back he told me: "to be part of the National Team for the Olympic games. I know my grandfather would be honoured about that, he emigrated long time ago and he taught us to be proud about our descent."

I can certainly appreciate that. What region was Cirone's family from? Most of my family is from Campania region, with Calabrian and Abruzzi mixed in. Unfortunately, I cannot speak the language, although I have a few living relatives that can.

On a similar note, although this gets me dirty looks, I actually cheer for the Italian football team over any other... including the Americans...

Ste'

May 21, 2004
Lenno -Lake Como-
Tony Tuzzolino from Cortina (Italy) to MODO (SEL). Great for the Blue Team to have a player in one of the best League of the world. I hope "Nunzio" could take advantage from this chance.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
TransportedUpstater said:
On a similar note, although this gets me dirty looks, I actually cheer for the Italian football team over any other... including the Americans...

I do too, and I get alot of crap for it. But I will never renounce the Azzurri.

GWhale*

Ha, I cheer for the Azzurri as well in football. I watch Serie A every match day, but yet have never watched an American MLS game. Forza Palermo!

E Forza Italia!!!!!!

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
GWhale said:
Ha, I cheer for the Azzurri as well in football. I watch Serie A every match day, but yet have never watched an American MLS game. Forza Palermo!

E Forza Italia!!!!!!

Forza Napoli!

GWhale*

Well then, you're still a few years away from Serie A. ;)

Napoli is a stunning city, was there for the first time this summer. Took some pictures of where Maradona once played.

PoutinePourMoi

Oct 2, 2005
GWhale said:
Well then, you're still a few years away from Serie A. ;)

Napoli is a stunning city, was there for the first time this summer. Took some pictures of where Maradona once played.

Well, we are in first place in Serie C now. If it stays that way, we will at least be on the map again.

I would love to go to Napoli. I have turned down trip opportunities to Italy because they havent gone to Napoli. I dont see a point in going unless I can visit where my family is from.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
My friend was supposed to play in Italy this year but he couldnt get his papers down in time. he said he went to the olympic camp to see what it was like and he really felt he could play on the team (he's Italian). He also said that it is a very small roster

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
GWhale said:

E Forza Italia!!!!!!

Palermo?! noo no no!! Forza Inter! ;) hehe. I'm first generation Italian American, but I grew up speaking Italian, grew up watching soccer, grew up playing bocceball with my nonni, and you know what...Italy can kick anyone's butt in anything. We'll gonna kill team Canada and mold them into meatballs for our spaghetti :sarcasm:

Kesler Kills Kommies

Dec 6, 2004
go kim johnsson 514 said:
If you can't make it in the Italian league....you probably won't make anywhere ;)

is he settled there or does he come back every year?
you are wrong, there is a league in hk where they played in the eighth floor in a shopping mall, the arena is big, they can allow a massive amount of people up to 100 people

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Ste' said:
For sure my friend. Italy is the worse team of the Olympic Games. But I personally know a lot of them and they are proud to be part of this poor team and everyone of them are treat with great respect. I know that probably team Italy could lose 10 or 12 to 0 against Canada or Czech Rep. But they takes on an engagement and I'm sure about their self-denial. ;)

You know what the lineup will look like?

Ste'

May 21, 2004
Lenno -Lake Como-
Robertsson 4-ever said:
You know what the lineup will look like?

I presume will be that (IMHO).

Muzzatti (Hell)

Helfer - Nardella
Strazzabosco - Trevisani
Ramoser - Signoretti
Borgatello

Iob - Tuzzolino - De Bettin
Parco - Cirone - Scandella
Chitarroni - Ansoldi - Busillo
Topatigh - De Toni - Margoni
Zisser

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
I think

Muzzatti (Hell)
Nardella - Helfer
Strazzabosco - F. Ramoser
Signoretti - Trevisani
Borgatello

Iob - Chitarroni - Tuzzolino
Parco - Cirone - Scandella
Busillo - Ansoldi - De Bettin
Topatigh - M. De Toni - Margoni
Zisser

larsmark

Aug 30, 2005
Örnsköldsvik
Shoalzie said:
Is this the same Tony Tuzzolino that played in the NHL briefly? I think he went to MSU. Just he and Muzzatti have NHL experience?
Yes it is and he is currently playing for MODO Hockey (Forsbergs old team). He has been quite ok the first three games he's played.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
I remember nearly a year ago someone mentioned how there was a young Italian defensemen that had "the talent level of a 5th round NHL draft pick", is he on the team by any chance?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Tb0ne said:
I remember nearly a year ago someone mentioned how there was a young Italian defensemen that had "the talent level of a 5th round NHL draft pick", is he on the team by any chance?
It depends on how young was the mentioned guy, if he is someone who was in the draft age or someone not that young. If he is on the national team, i guess he is Helfer.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
Red Gendron, who was assistant coach with the New Jersey Devils, thinks that Andreas Lutz has the skill level of many fifth round draft choices from the NHL. Lutz is 20 years old and plays for Rittensport (currently on the second place in the italian league). In my humble opinion he is not ready to play for the national team.

devilsfan26

Jul 10, 2003
Iselin/Piscataway NJ
Did they announce what numbers the players will be wearing? I hope they do sometime before the Olympics begin because I'm planning on buying an Italy jersey (probably Giulio Scandella).

NBHABSFAN

Mar 17, 2004
Ottawa
Canada VS Italy in hockey is like the Canadian team playing soccer against the Italian National Soccer team. Should be a great way to start off the tourney

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Looking back at history, Italy first played Canada on 21 January 1935 at the World Championship in Davos, Switzerland. Canada won 9:0. They wouldn't meet again until the 1948 Olympic Games in St. Moritz, Switzerland, where Canada won 21:1.

At the 1956 Olympics in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Canada eked out a 3:1 victory despite being penalized 11 of the 15 calls by German referee Hans Unger & Norwegian referee Tore Johannessen. Canada lodged an official protest resulting in Unger being barred from handling any more games in the tournament. The 1956 Italian team included 6 players who learned their hockey in Canada.

Italy and Canada did not face each other again until the 1982 World Championship in Finland, which resulted in a historic 3:3 tie. Canada had to come from behind to tie the game in the third period. This 1982 edition of Team Canada featured Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Clarke, Bob Gainey, Darryl Sittler, Dale Hawerchuk, Mike Gartner, Dino Ciccarelli, Bobby Smith, Bill Barber but had trouble scoring on Italy goalie Jim Corsi.

Canada redeemed themselves at the 1983 Worlds in West Germany, defeating Italy 6:0.

Italy & Canada would not meet again until the 1994 Olympic Games in Norway, when Canada beat Italy 7:2.

At the 1994 Worlds in Germany, Canada 11:2 Italy.
At the 1995 Worlds in Sweden, Italy tied Canada 2:2.

Other results:
1997 Worlds in Finland, Canada 6:0 Italy.
1998 Worlds in Switzerland, Canada 5:2 Italy.
1999 Worlds in Norway, Canada 5:2 Italy.
2000 Worlds in Russia, Canada 6:0 Italy.
2001 Worlds in Germany, Canada 3:1 Italy.

Last time Canada and Italy played each other was at the 2002 Worlds in Sweden, Canada 5:0 Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad