it would be best if no one supported the WHA tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
if the players realize that no one will watch then they will feel more pressure to sign, if the WHA tourney is sold out then maybe players decide to sign on to the new WHA for a start up season and that won't help anyone get back to getting a deal done.

Sorry if this topic was brought up but i wanted it out there, DON'T support the WHA and maybe the players will get back to the NHL.

anyone have a different opinion, or maybe the same? :dunno:

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
I hope you feel the same for both sides of the issues. If you don't want anyone supporting the WHA then I hope you don't plan on supporting or watching replacements.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
shayne said:
if the players realize that no one will watch then they will feel more pressure to sign, if the WHA tourney is sold out then maybe players decide to sign on to the new WHA for a start up season and that won't help anyone get back to getting a deal done.

Sorry if this topic was brought up but i wanted it out there, DON'T support the WHA and maybe the players will get back to the NHL.

Yea, I have been thinkign this as well. Also, as fans we should organize whether we are going to unanimously support or not support replacements if they use them. Whether or not you like/dislike the idea, we should all stand united because if we support replacement unanimously, the players will want to get a deal done. On the flip side (the idea I like better), if we do not support replacement hockey what so ever, the owners will need the deal. We should definitively organize something if it comes to replacement hockey. Either way, if the fans all speak in one voice, the real hockey comes back quicker.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
The use of replacements puts the pressure on the players IF the owners actually get some fans to show up. This is, in part, what happened to the NFL. Fans actually showed up, the players who didn't agree with the strike cut across the picket lines, and the rest is history.

Attending the games with replacements is the only way to show that the NHL is about the teams and not the individuals who put on the jerseys.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
HF2002 said:
Attending the games with replacements is the only way to show that the NHL is about the teams and not the individuals who put on the jerseys.

This season ticket holder won't be spending a $0.01 on replacement hockey.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
shayne said:

Do us all a favor when and IF the players get back IN TO the NHL don't support them either, just give your money to the owners. You'll cheer for them if they are wearing an NHL sweater but not a WHA sweater? Sad :shakehead

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Icey said:
I hope you feel the same for both sides of the issues. If you don't want anyone supporting the WHA then I hope you don't plan on supporting or watching replacements.
It's not necessarily an inconsistent position to take--not supporting the players' tournament but fully supporting replacement games. If the objective is to put as much pressure as possible on one side--in this case, the players--in an effort to end the stalemate, then this is probably the most effective action we could take as fans.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
HF2002 said:
The use of replacements puts the pressure on the players IF the owners actually get some fans to show up. This is, in part, what happened to the NFL. Fans actually showed up, the players who didn't agree with the strike cut across the picket lines, and the rest is history.

It is also a way to show that you don't mind watching a game full of crappy talent. No thanks, I don't want to misrepresent what I want. What I want is to see the best players in the world play the sport I love. I want to see my favorite team take part of that. I saw it last season, and I didn't this year.

I always said I didn't want a salary cap or luxury tax at the sake of an entire season, and I still stand by it. Frankly, I don't care either way anymore, now that the season is long dead. I'd like to see something done in time for their to be a draft, and I don't care what it is.

But this attitude of the NHL as saints and the players sinners is pretty ridiculous. It is clear the NHL wasn't willing to do what was needed to get a deal done. They are set on winning every major point they've had since day one. They were never willing to get some of what they wanted now and build on that with the next CBA.

I still don't see the NHL as having any major problem with fair competition. There is such a thing as having too much even competition from season to season, where a team can be built in one or two season through free agency. The NFL comes close to approaching this, but as is I don't mind their system.

I do agree there are problems economically, though who knows how much of that a cap would fix. You'd think the NHL would support some form of revenue sharing to cure economic problems within individual teams.

People don't not watch hockey because they don't think the teams have a fair shot at being competitive. They don't watch hockey because they don't like it. Rule changes won't fix this (check AHL goal stats this season compared to last). Neither will a cap. Grassroots efforts are the only way to turn kids into hockey fans, who will go out and bear hockey-fan children.

Either that or the NHL could have ads with the Black-eyed Peas singing a dumb song about the NHL playoffs. :shakehead

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
As an Isles fan, I remember all too well, when for 7 years our team WAS a replacement team basically. Pretty much journeymen and career minor leaguers. I probably would take the same approach if the league goes replacements this time, I'll follow through the news and on TV, but I will not renew my season seats until there are real players back, just like in the 90's.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
shayne said:

Are you saying these players shouldn't have the right to a free market. Shame on you, as you, (we), whether it be American or Canadian have a right by law to a free market. I can't believe some people would goe as low as low can get, to take away the rights of workers to choose their path of employement. Just because these guys are pro athletes, they should not have those right taken away. Yes, you have the right to choose whether you go watch these guys, and it is only just, that they have the right whether they play for your favorite team or not. It must be hard to live in your perfect world, where you have all the rights, but people around you who entertain you, should not. :bow:

You would watch replacement players, but won't watch a replacement league. :dunno:

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
All that refusing to support the WHA will do is convince Bettman that the poor product iced by the NHL is the greatest thing in the world.

If the WHA puts out a good product, people should support it. If their product is poor, stay away.

The NHL could use a little competition. It might make them take their fans more seriously. But it's not worth buying crap just to deliver a wakeup call.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Weary said:
The NHL could use a little competition. It might make them take their fans more seriously.

What about the NHLPA taking there fans more seriously?? They do nothing but tell us what we want

So you would sacrifice all the history of the NHL and jump ship to the WHA if the PA players went there?

I dont think the Owners are saints. I think they are pretty stupid for what they did to the economics of the game in the first place. But I do support them trying to fix it. I dont get wrapped up in the little details as much as others b/c i think the owners will cave on practically everything if the PA accepted linkage or at least a cap number that the league could afford. The players need a market yes. But the until they wake up an realise that the league cant afford the market they think they deserve.

I shouldn't of responded to this as all the extemist (PA supporters mostly) are gonna be all over this thread with there calling the other side idiots and whatnot.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
It's not necessarily an inconsistent position to take--not supporting the players' tournament but fully supporting replacement games. If the objective is to put as much pressure as possible on one side--in this case, the players--in an effort to end the stalemate, then this is probably the most effective action we could take as fans.

Well perhaps I don't feel the need to put all the pressure on the the players but put it on both sides. You guys can blame the players till your blue in the face and irregardless of if your right or wrong at the end of the day Bettman also did not get a deal done, so why reward him for that??? He failed to deliver what he promised.

So I for one have no intention of rewarding the owners and league for failing to do their job nor do I intend to reward the players for failing to see what the world of hockey in 2005 is all about.

Paisano*

I will not support the WHA tourney. I will go to replacement player NHL games. For one if there are replacement games, I believe more than half of them will be current NHL'ers. The guys making less than the league average are not going to sit out and lose another season so the Jagrs of the world can make their muti-millions.
I also believe when players start to cross it will open the floodgates and most will come with them. All but the hard liners will stay out and to them I say good riddance. On the owners side hopefully the NHL will initiate some rules to control stupidity.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
I will be watching the Memorial Cup instead. I believe these two tourneys are set at the same time period, correct me if I'm wrong, I heard this second hand. Eventhough I'm nowhere near the areas to attend games, they still will not get my rating point for tuning in.

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
If I was a unbiased, perfect person i wouldn't support either side. But the players are disgusting and repulsive and supporting replacement players is the best way to fix the game.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Rob Paxon said:
It is also a way to show that you don't mind watching a game full of crappy talent. No thanks, I don't want to misrepresent what I want. What I want is to see the best players in the world play the sport I love. I want to see my favorite team take part of that. I saw it last season, and I didn't this year.

I always said I didn't want a salary cap or luxury tax at the sake of an entire season, and I still stand by it. Frankly, I don't care either way anymore, now that the season is long dead. I'd like to see something done in time for their to be a draft, and I don't care what it is.

But this attitude of the NHL as saints and the players sinners is pretty ridiculous. It is clear the NHL wasn't willing to do what was needed to get a deal done. They are set on winning every major point they've had since day one. They were never willing to get some of what they wanted now and build on that with the next CBA.

I still don't see the NHL as having any major problem with fair competition. There is such a thing as having too much even competition from season to season, where a team can be built in one or two season through free agency. The NFL comes close to approaching this, but as is I don't mind their system.

I do agree there are problems economically, though who knows how much of that a cap would fix. You'd think the NHL would support some form of revenue sharing to cure economic problems within individual teams.

People don't not watch hockey because they don't think the teams have a fair shot at being competitive. They don't watch hockey because they don't like it. Rule changes won't fix this (check AHL goal stats this season compared to last). Neither will a cap. Grassroots efforts are the only way to turn kids into hockey fans, who will go out and bear hockey-fan children.

Either that or the NHL could have ads with the Black-eyed Peas singing a dumb song about the NHL playoffs. :shakehead

I ask, how does not having a cap mean the small market teams have a chance to compete and keep their talent?
I'm willing to sacrifice a season in order to have my Oilers keep and not lose their talent to a team that overpays their players...

The NHL are far from saints IMO. No revenue sharing=death of small markets...

How can you not see an unfair playing field? :dunno: The Red Wings had one of the highest payrolls in the league....when was the last time they missed the Playoffs? The Penguins had the lowest=worst team in the league
I'm not asking for every team to have the exact same payroll, but the gap must be lowered significantly

Winning breeds fans. The Flyers won cups in their early years and now have have a devoted fanbase. Colorado once had the Rockies in the 70s and sucked so they left. The Avs won the cup in their 1st year and now they have a devoted fanbase...

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Well.. I can promise you this.. America won't watch..

I doubt any network here will carry the game... Unless ESPN or FOX take a risk at offending the NHL(which they won't)...

:p:

We got the NHL's back here in the States..

;)

I am not opposed to the WHA tourny.. it may well be a benchmark as to where the two sides go this spring/summer in terms of talks...Either the players manage to get an OK showing, and the NHL owners give a little more, or no one shows and the Players give more...

I would watch it if they showed it on TV, I am that hard up for Hockey here in SoCal...Same as I would watch NHL Reject..er I mean replacement players next year..I ain't cheering for either horses arse... I am cheering for the race!

But one thing we are assuming is that there will be alot of NHLPA members there... How many will actually show?

:dunno:

If it is only 10 or so NHL'er... who gives a crap?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
shayne said:

I actually think it would be best if the players came out on top in the labor dispute because I really don't think it's the players responsibility to give anything up to correct the owners' mistakes. That's called a matter of princible.

So if the WHA is successful and it causes the owners to realize they don't have a monopoly on high end hockey in North America and can't do whatever they want... they'll cave and the players will be better off for it. I could not care less about the ownership (as a Ranger fan with Cablevision, and honestly I think any Blackhawks or Bruins fan should agree with me). I care about the players who make the game what it is.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
As with everything else in the lockout soap opera , this upcoming WHA tourney will be an interesting sub plot .

it can work both ways .

if the tourney is a success , then it might wake the nhl up a bit

if its a failure , then no explanation required .

I'm not sure of the exact date of the launch of this tourney (shows how much I really care eh )but you would think that alot of hockey fans have already tuned out the nhl and nhlpa and turned their interest to the upcoming NBA playoffs , the start of another MLB season ,AHL,CHL,Mem Cup,etc...

I know I have ...

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
I'll be watching the best players in the world. Unlike others it doesn't have to be an NHL brand for me to be a fan. If the best players are playing in the WHA I'll be watching and supporting that 100%

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
shayne said:

Competition is good. One car company, one phone company, one cable company, one hockey 'company' -- it all leads to poor products with high prices. Maybe the WHA would force the NHL to finally address the issues everyone always complains about.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Mr.Hunter74 said:
What about the NHLPA taking there fans more seriously?? They do nothing but tell us what we want

So you would sacrifice all the history of the NHL and jump ship to the WHA if the PA players went there?
I'm a hockey fan, not an NHL fan. If someone other than the NHL offers a better product, I'll switch over without hesitation. The NHL doesn't even care about the history of the NHL. They've made changes like four-on-four hockey in overtime, point for an overtime loss, etc. Not to mention the rumblings about how the game will be totally different when the league returns.

I prefer to spend my time and money on a product I enjoy rather than always spend them in the same place.

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
Weary said:
I'm a hockey fan, not an NHL fan. If someone other than the NHL offers a better product, I'll switch over without hesitation. The NHL doesn't even care about the history of the NHL. They've made changes like four-on-four hockey in overtime, point for an overtime loss, etc. Not to mention the rumblings about how the game will be totally different when the league returns.

I prefer to spend my time and money on a product I enjoy rather than always spend them in the same place.

:yo: :yo: :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad