Post-Game Talk: It was a rehearsal - CBJ 4 BRUINS 1

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
This game is exactly why I wanted the Bruins to play games that count for seeding.

I remember when the initial return to play plan was released and everyone was complaining about having to play for the #1 seed. I argued that an exhibition or two would not get them ready to play a team that just had a playoff series and that they needed to play for "something". Happy they are going to play three games with normal intensity before their first series.

JoeyBananas

Aug 24, 2018
Any news on Marchand? I hope it's something that he can just rest during the play in games, and be fully healthy for round 1.

Reactions: bbfan419

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
Care to elaborate? I love Studnicka and agree he has a high ceiling, but I mean.... DeBrusk, even with his consistency issues, has proven he can score 25+ goals in this league and has produced a 50 point pace over a full season 2/3 seasons (this year was on pace for 45 points).

I'm not him, but since I share is thinking, I'll reply. Debrusk has skill, but he's not working well with his teamate. He plays like a bottom 6 grinder. How many games Debrusk need to have as many look than Studnicka had in this one game? Generaly, Debrusk create his own scoring chance with his skill, but doesn't mesh well with other skill players. That clearly limit his ceilling alot. He has skill but not enough to play by himslef like he does (if he wants to be more than a 40-50 pts players). I have absolutely no doubt Studnicka would produce at least at the 40-50 pts pace Debrusk his if he's glue to Krejci's wing and play 1st PP the next 3 years. I love Debrusk, but what he's doing with the opportunity he's got is nothing extraordinaire.

That said, if Studnicka and Krejci really mesh as well as they show last night, it could help Debrusk doing his grinding things while the others two can move the puck in the offensive zone. If he plays on a top 6 he is a #3 guy one his line, probably a great one at that, but he's just not someone you could count on for keeping possession, that's why you need two guy with him who can acheive that.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm not him, but since I share is thinking, I'll reply. Debrusk has skill, but he's not working well with his teamate. He plays like a bottom 6 grinder. How many games Debrusk need to have as many look than Studnicka had in this one game? Generaly, Debrusk create his own scoring chance with his skill, but doesn't mesh well with other skill players. That clearly limit his ceilling alot. He has skill but not enough to play by himslef like he does (if he wants to be more than a 40-50 pts players). I have absolutely no doubt Studnicka would produce at least at the 40-50 pts pace Debrusk his if he's glue to Krejci's wing and play 1st PP the next 3 years. I love Debrusk, but what he's doing with the opportunity he's got is nothing extraordinaire.

That said, if Studnicka and Krejci really mesh as well as they show last night, it could help Debrusk doing his grinding things while the others two can move the puck in the offensive zone. If he plays on a top 6 he is a #3 guy one his line, probably a great one at that, but he's just not someone you could count on for keeping possession, that's why you need two guy with him who can acheive that.

I think Studnicka can be a real nice bridge between Krejci and DeBrusk. Studnicka has the speed and forechecking game to play the simpler game that DeBrusk prefers, and clearly showed some of the cerebral touch with Krejci as well. Not the perfect complements that the first line has, but better than with a Backes or a Kuhlman. I think they think Kase can also bridge them... but Studnicka might already be better.

Reactions: bbfan419

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think Studnicka can be a real nice bridge between Krejci and DeBrusk. Studnicka has the speed and forechecking game to play the simpler game that DeBrusk prefers, and clearly showed some of the cerebral touch with Krejci as well. Not the perfect complements that the first line has, but better than with a Backes or a Kuhlman. I think they think Kase can also bridge them... but Studnicka might already be better.

Ya DeBrusk needs a straight line rusher to be effective imo. He needs someone to make him skate and push the pace (not Krejci's bread and butter). I think Stud's game lets him mesh with different styles and bridge that gap as you say.

It was only one game but watching Studs I dont get the feeling that he's a complementary player. He's a guy that should be able to drive a line as he continues to develop. I don't get that same feeling with guys like Bjork, Seny, Frederic. DeBrusk I'm still not sure on. He seems more like a complementary guy though who at times can drive a line.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
This game is exactly why I wanted the Bruins to play games that count for seeding.

I remember when the initial return to play plan was released and everyone was complaining about having to play for the #1 seed. I argued that an exhibition or two would not get them ready to play a team that just had a playoff series and that they needed to play for "something". Happy they are going to play three games with normal intensity before their first series.

They could have played the games and still had the earned #1 seed.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Debrusk would have scored on the early chance Studnicka had alone with the goalie. It isn't a bad thing either. They have different strengths. Debrusk is one of our best goal scorers and Studnicka should be one of our best playmakers.

Apples and oranges, we need both.

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018

I really like that "bridge" call. Nice one.

HellFish89

Sep 28, 2018
Debrusk would have scored on the early chance Studnicka had alone with the goalie. It isn't a bad thing either. They have different strengths. Debrusk is one of our best goal scorers and Studnicka should be one of our best playmakers.

Apples and oranges, we need both.

Debrusk might have score on that chance or not, but yeah he is a better goal scorers versus Studnicka no doubt, but there's a reason why Studnicka is getting those look and Debrusk's not. It remember me a guy on our ball hockey team. He's by far our better goal scorer, but his play patern is really simple, he's got a long realese but an extremely heavy shot, so he goes way high at the line in the O zone and then shoot the puck from there. He's never the guy that can gets his look in better position, don't know if it's hockey sense, timing, reaction speed, but he's not good at getting open within the play. The result of that is: he's not contributing much in the offensive zone possession giving other player heavier responsabilities, he's scoring almost at equal rate playing with the best playmaker on the team or with the worst player on the team because he has his own individual way to score without actively being able to "continue" the play. He is kinda wasting our playmaker guy skills because he can't see the opening and be there at the right time, the way he score he doesn't need someone good with him. Someone far less of a goal scorer than him benefit alot more of playing with the playmaker because while his succes rate will be less on his chances, he has so much more of them because he can "continue" the play and be at the right place at the right time ...
It's like having a 30 goal scorer playing with anyone and a 15 goals scorer who could score 25-30 with a great playmaker, not because of his own scoring abilities but only due to the way he see the ice and the sheer amount of time where he's in a great position to receive the puck playing with a great playmaker.

In those circomstance who are you giving the playmaker? Your better goal scorer because goal scorer + playmaker should work or the guy who can elevate his game with the playmaker but doesn't have the natural goal scoring ability?

P.S. I know Debrusk patern isn't the same as our goal scorer, but he still score by his natural talent and still have difficulty profiting from a skilled player ability to feed him the puck.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I thought they were all terrible.

Lindholm isn't in my line-up come Game 1 if everyone is healthy. Kuraly is the motor that keeps the 4th line going, W or C leave him there. I'll keep Nordstrom over Lindholm for now, both can sit when Kase is ready.
I agree Kuraly is best suited for the 4th line.

Reactions: BMC

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I think Kase is a perfect fit for the 3rd line with Coyle and one of Ritchie, Bjork or Kuhlman.

Giving up a 1st in any deal for a 3rd line guy hurts.Not saying your not right just pointing out that doing that really makes the trade not very good for Bruins.My hope is 2nd line and finds his game.Studnicka here already though and looking good really is great :popcorn: but sucks not knowing he was this good before trade.:cry:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Giving up a 1st in any deal for a 3rd line guy hurts.Not saying your not right just pointing out that doing that really makes the trade not very good for Bruins.My hope is 2nd line and finds his game.Studnicka here already though and looking good really is great :popcorn: but sucks not knowing he was this good before trade.:cry:
That number 1 pick was to move Backes. With a flat cap for years to come that is a good value.

I also really like this draft and I liked Backes but that cap hit was poison going forward.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Idk that I'd say it was a true value of a 1st though. Backes was also sent in the deal as well and had negative value. Kase was probably worth Andersson + 2nd or 3rd, but with Backes the picks becomes a late 1st for the negative value

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
A big part of that deal was getting rid of 75% of Backes' contract, so getting a decent young forward back in the trade is actually pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->