It says here Players talking of $60 million luxury tax threshold

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYI

Jul 19, 2004
NYIsles1 said:
One of the biggest misconceptions around hockey today is that the Rangers are this big market team that make money and has revenue to share and sellout games, it's just not true. Writers in other markets do not follow what happens, meanwhile the Rangers play in obscurity in the New York sports market today, their high priced team of name players are invisible in the media here because baseball drives the market and the other teams take the rest of the attention span year round. There is only one fan demographic that goes to hockey games here. Hockey is not a major sport in this area.

i don't have quotes or anything but here is how the Rangers make money. Dolan owns %100 of MSG, Dolan owns 100% of the MSG network and Dolan owns the Rangers. He is triple dipping into the team. While some teams might be lucky to get 50% of the gates at any hockey game, dolan gets 100% of the gates as well as food revenue(because he owns the arena and the team). If Dolan only owned the Rangers, sure it would be a losing proposition, but you figure he cleans in roughly 2 million+ a game when all is said in done with him owning both the team and arena(80 million over a season).

When he is doing his financial records, he probably only claims a small amount(let's say way less then the average team) of the gates at MSG and can write the team as a loss.

The same can be said about his local TV coverage. Dolan gets 100% of that money as well(every cent that advertisers pay go into dolan's pocket as well as every penny that cable companies pay him to have his service which show the Rangers), while most other teams can only claim a percentage.

Doing very rough estiments, Dolan makes roughly $80 in ticket revnues, 40 million for showing Ranegr games on MSG network and 10 million from the league contracts. That's a total of 130 million in revenue. The price he pays for his team is 70 million in contracts, 30 million in operating expenses. So when all is said and done the Rangers make him a decent profit(when you look at the 3 businesses he owns). If Dolan didn't own MSG or the MSG network, the Rangers would be big money losers.

Last edited:

NYIsles1*

NYI said:
i don't have quotes or anything but here is how the Rangers make money. Dolan owns %100 of MSG, Dolan owns 100% of the MSG network and Dolan owns the Rangers. He is triple dipping into the team. While some teams might be lucky to get 50% of the gates at any hockey game, dolan gets 100% of the gates as well as food revenue(because he owns the arena and the team). If Dolan only owned the Rangers, sure it would be a losing proposition, but you figure he cleans in roughly 2 million+ a game when all is said in done with him owning both the team and arena(80 million over a season).
I can only objectively work with numbers I know, I can take some fair guesses but that's what they are. But I will try here.

I'm guessing you mean the Knicks when you speak of triple dipping. Heck they can dip into Cablevision also and a half dozen other things and so can a bunch of owners. Like all teams they contract out for the things like concessions so they take a percentage or a flat fee, by contrast we have no idea if the managing company of the building takes anything like Smg takes from the Islanders.

You have to think some company takes something for services.

NYI said:
When he is doing his financial records, he probably only claims a small amount(let's say way less then the average team) of the gates at MSG and can write the team as a loss.
As Charles Wang has done with his 23 million dollar loss in 2003 as he reported to the Times when Forbes looked at the books.

NYI said:
The same can be said about his local TV coverage. Dolan gets 100% of that money as well(every cent that advertisers pay go into dolan's pocket as well as every penny that cable companies pay him to have his service which show the Rangers), while most other teams can only claim a percentage.

Doing very rough estiments, Dolan makes roughly $80 in ticket revnues, 40 million for showing Ranegr games on MSG network and 10 million from the league contracts.
Were also really not sure what deals have been agreed to regarding the Fox/Msg merger that turned them into one sports entity several years ago. Rupert Murdoch get's a large percentage of revenue in this, this is not a James Dolan's 100 percent profit as you indicate.

Here are the television figures going into last season, what each team get's from the outside contracts.

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/8-10cba.htm

Annual total revenue per team from national TV rights: about $6 million, not including local TV money.

The New York Rangers are estimated to pull in $25 million per year from local rights. So do the Boston Bruins. Toronto gets $23 million. Montreal gets $16 million. The Dallas Stars get big bucks in local TV revenue thanks to owner Tom Hicks' 15-year, $550 million deal with Fox Sports to broadcast both the Stars and Texas Rangers baseball games on a local and regional level. But not every NHL team pulls in big dollars from local TV. Some of the smaller market teams in the U.S. pull in less a $1 million per year from local broadcast rights.

Let's put the Rangers at 31 million, the Islanders at 20 million, Msg has to pay the Islanders 13 million for their television rights until 2030, and they have to pay the Devils.

I think the two million figure per game is very generous on your part because that is the estimated figure for Knicks playoff games and they seat more than hockey.

Charles Wang charges more than Dolan for tickets and during the blizzard game it was estimated he would lose a half a million dollars for playing a game in front of 3,000 fans in a blizzard as opposed to a regular Saturday attendance which was usually near capacity.

I guess your talking about 10 mil per team for merchandising from the NHL. No idea.

NYI said:
That's a total of 130 million in revenue. The price he pays for his team is 70 million in contracts, 30 million in operating expenses. So when all is said and done the Rangers make him a decent profit(when you look at the 3 businesses he owns). If Dolan didn't own MSG or the MSG network, the Rangers would be big money losers.
I came up with 60 million for tickets, 31 for television, 10 million from the NHL and I will go all out and ignore the reports in the previous posting and add another 20 million for anything else. Let's not even talk rent or propery taxes on the building.

121 million.

Rangers reported payroll with buyouts, insurance for percentages of contracts for injured players approached a high payroll of 94 million dollars. The Islanders get at least 13 million from Msg, they have to pay the Devils for local broadcasts rights. You can bet Murdoch get's 10-15 million for the merger fees. And let's throw in ten million for other costs.

Industry reports are Msg Network is taking big losses. I cannot put a figure on that plus other basic costs to running a team, travel, staff, team facilities but I'm not including that here at all.

Hard to see a tangible profit in this. If they borrow from other places to sustain their payroll advantage it is not in the best interest of the league but they have the right to do so.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
NYI said:

The profits from the ownership of the TV coverage and the rink should not count towards the Rangers profits. He is entitled to make money on both as seperate entities from the Rangers. Without knowing the exact amounts the TV coverage pays the Rangers or what equivalent rent the Rangers should pay its impossible to get an accurate read on the true standing of the Rangers.

The Rangers probably play 50 games a year at the MSG. 18,000 fans * avg ticket of $66 * 50 games gives us a potential income of about $60 million. Take away from that, equivalent rink rent, running costs, labour costs.

I could see them losing quite a bit of money if they don't make the playoff (which they aren't). They wouldn't be a worse team under a $45m cap and they would make every bit as much revenue. Hard to say no to saving $30m.

Last edited:

Scheme

Feb 14, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
HYPOTHETICALLY: Under a $30 million cap, lets say the average salary for a superstar is $4 million. Calgary has two superstars on their team, both of whom they drafted and developed. They both become free agents the same year. Because Calgary has been well run, they also have lots of other good players signed. But because they have alot of good players, they only have $5 million in cap room, even though they have the revenue to sign both. They only have enough room to sign one of the superstars, unless they both agree to take alot less than the league average. So they sign superstar "A" for $3 million, who takes less becuase he wants to stay. But, now they only have $2 million to sign supestar "B". At the same time, Detroit has been terribly run for some time, is devoid of superstars and only has a few marginally good players. They've drafted terribly, but they have $4 million in cap room, and offer Calgary's superstar "B" the $4 million he deserves, based on league average. Superstar "B" now has to decide between loyalty and a $2 million difference. I think its safe to assume most professional atheletes would take the extra $2 million, so lets assume superstar "B" does in this case. Now I ask you, if you were a Calgary fan would you be upset over this? Would you feel this is fair? Your team did the drafting and developing, had the revenue to sign both, but were unable to while, a poorly run team his been rewarded.

Now lets say there's a luxury tax at around $40 million. Salaries will come down under this system as well. Lets take the two superstars from my example above, and say a luxury tax has lowered the average superstar salary to $5 million. Calgary has the revenue to pay each $4 million, but they both want $5. Calgary then takes the extra money they received from the teams paying a luxury tax and is able to give both what they want. Calgary has not been punished for drafing well, and they're not paying any more of their money for those players than they would have under a cap.

So, if you were a Calgary fan, which situation would you prefer? The cap, which took one of your superstars away? Or the luxury tax which allowed you to keep both without spending anything more than you would have under a cap?

Again, this analogy doesn't work because you're assuming a terribly run team will have a lot of cap space. Badly run teams are more likely to have less cap space because they're likely to overpay players who aren't worth it.

This is essentially a strawman argument, because you're saying a cap would prevent Calgary from keeping both superstars. But in today's system, those two superstars would be worth $8-10 mil each in the current system with no cap! Calgary couldn't afford to keep both because they are a small market team! I think this is really what the whole discussion boils down to. With no cap, you have teams out there like Detroit, New York, etc. capable of throwing $8-10 mil for one of these superstars, and this prices them out of reach for the small market team.

Given the above example, it's certainly not as bad as the way things are now. I'm sure Calgary would prefer to find a way to get rid of a couple million dollars of salary to make room to keep both stars under the new system instead of trying to shed $16-20 mil of salary (impossible really) to keep both superstars under the current system.

I think the problem with the luxury tax is that the big market teams will still have an advantage. With a cap, there is no market advantage.

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Scheme said:
in today's system, those two superstars would be worth $8-10 mil each in the current system .

thats not entirely true. as RFA, they are worth what you are willing to pay them, since in the NHL no other team makes RFA offers.

secondly, Todd Bertuzzi, by all accounts one of the top players in the league, just signed a deal for less than 7m per season. Alfredsson signed for less than 6m. Keith Primeau, another franchise type player, signed for less than 5m per season.

for a team like CGY, if they actually had 2 players worth 8m each (and they dont even have one at this time), there decision making process comes down to this:

1) are they in a position to be a contender ? if so, then sign them both.
2) if they are not, then why would you even want to pay16m for 2 players, even if you could afford it ?

even in todays system, "rich" teams trade players because they dont want to make the investment in them.

dr

Feb 12, 2003
A lot of this talk just reminds me back to the homegrown cap idea I had before. I won't go into it again, but I think it's best to give the advantage to the teams who develop their players the best, not penalize them. As the above examples with OTT and CHI, a homegrown cap would allow OTT to keep those players, and it would make a team like CHI struggle to ice a team that is competitive if they rely too much on signing players. At the same time, it limits CHI from altering the market and inflating the salaries of the players they might have to overspend for.

It's my belief that the teams who develop their players and are able to make wise moves should be rewarded, and the teams who have to sign players to remain competitive should not be rewarded. Simple as that. And if you think about the teams that would rather sign players like the Rangers of the past, they have enough money they could invest in a state of the art scouting and minor league system, but do they? They are getting better I would suggest, but it's lazy team management overall in the past that makes these mistakes.

The Coyotes are a good current example of this, they had neglected the farm for so long and when the new management came in they saw it as a weakness. They have slowly started to acquire younger players, although the quality is not there, that is why they are still signing free agents to supply the NHL team. In the future they will be a better team than before if they continue to develop players and work through the draft.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Scheme said:
Again, this analogy doesn't work because you're assuming a terribly run team will have a lot of cap space. Badly run teams are more likely to have less cap space because they're likely to overpay players who aren't worth it.

This is essentially a strawman argument, because you're saying a cap would prevent Calgary from keeping both superstars. But in today's system, those two superstars would be worth $8-10 mil each in the current system with no cap! Calgary couldn't afford to keep both because they are a small market team! I think this is really what the whole discussion boils down to. With no cap, you have teams out there like Detroit, New York, etc. capable of throwing $8-10 mil for one of these superstars, and this prices them out of reach for the small market team.

Given the above example, it's certainly not as bad as the way things are now. I'm sure Calgary would prefer to find a way to get rid of a couple million dollars of salary to make room to keep both stars under the new system instead of trying to shed $16-20 mil of salary (impossible really) to keep both superstars under the current system.

I think the problem with the luxury tax is that the big market teams will still have an advantage. With a cap, there is no market advantage.

Fine, not a terribly run team. Since salaries will be less under a cap, there's going to be alot more teams in the hunt for big name free agents. Any team with $4 million in cap room in that situation. And just for the record, there are plenty of badly run teams with low payrolls.

Again, my point is not that the current system is OK, for argumetns sake, I'll concede its not.. All I want is someone to tell me how my example above is fair to Calgary. If anybody does, I'll shut up. And arguments that its more unfair now, or its fair because its unfair for everyone don't hold water.

loveshack2

Feb 23, 2003
Old School
Visit site
GoCoyotes said:
A lot of this talk just reminds me back to the homegrown cap idea I had before. I won't go into it again, but I think it's best to give the advantage to the teams who develop their players the best, not penalize them. As the above examples with OTT and CHI, a homegrown cap would allow OTT to keep those players, and it would make a team like CHI struggle to ice a team that is competitive if they rely too much on signing players. At the same time, it limits CHI from altering the market and inflating the salaries of the players they might have to overspend for.

It's my belief that the teams who develop their players and are able to make wise moves should be rewarded, and the teams who have to sign players to remain competitive should not be rewarded. Simple as that. And if you think about the teams that would rather sign players like the Rangers of the past, they have enough money they could invest in a state of the art scouting and minor league system, but do they? They are getting better I would suggest, but it's lazy team management overall in the past that makes these mistakes.
I agree to a certain extent but I dont see how signing free agents is considered to be so wrong by people. And no it's not just because Im a Leaf's fan. You have lots of avenues to improve your team available to you, and in my opinion any team that focuses too much on only one aspect is not doing a good job. I dont care if you're the best drafting team in the league, if you dont make good trades or good free agent signings you aren't going anywhere. Likewise if you focus too much on free agents.

And I dont care what anybody says, if you think having a hard salary cap will allow a team to keep all it's drafted players then you are living in a dream world. Just look at all the player movement in the NFL, that's what happens when you bring in a hard cap.

But the problem is that all it takes is one team, with more salary cap space than Calgary has, to say "I want that player" and then it's too bad so sad for Calgary. Even if Calgary offers the guy $8 million, if one team in the league has space to add $8 million + $1 and they are focused on getting that guy, then the Flames lose him.

Last edited:

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
loveshack2 said:
And I dont care what anybody says, if you think having a hard salary cap will allow a team to keep all it's drafted players then you are living in a dream world. Just look at all the player movement in the NFL, that's what happens when you bring in a hard cap.

But the problem is that all it takes is one team, with more salary cap space than Calgary has, to say "I want that player" and then it's too bad so sad for Calgary. Even if Calgary offers the guy $8 million, if one team in the league has space to add $8 million + $1 and they are focused on getting that guy, then the Flames lose him.

Which is why the argument that a cap is equally unfair for everyone is crap. You can't equalize the abilty to scout or develop players.

Scheme

Feb 14, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
Which is why the argument that a cap is equally unfair for everyone is crap. You can't equalize the abilty to scout or develop players.

Yes, that's the point - you can't equalize that ability, and how would that be possible anyway? You want team quality to be based more on scouting/development/management than the ability to shell out more money for players than other teams. It isn't perfect, but it makes it much more fair than the current system. And it would definitely reduce player salaries, which is the other goal we want.

Let me simplify this a bit so you'll understand. Imagine each team's budget represented as a glass. The way it is now, some glasses (New York, Detroit, Colorado, Toronto) are way bigger than others, so they're able to hold more liquid (salary). That isn't fair.

In a cap system, every team's "glass" would be exactly the same size, which is fair (or I should say more fair than it is now). Because even if the team offered the $8 mil + 1 to the player, they'd be filling their own cap and would be most likely out of the running for other expensive players. Not like now where you can have teams like New York and Colarado go on basically "shopping sprees" and pick up multiple FAs for $6 mil here, $8 mil there, etc...

Last edited:

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Scheme said:
Yes, that's the point - you can't equalize that ability, and how would that be possible anyway? You want team quality to be based more on scouting/development/management than the ability to shell out more money for players than other teams. It isn't perfect, but it makes it much more fair than the current system. And it would definitely reduce player salaries, which is the other goal we want.

I have to agree with this.

No system is going to be perfectly fair, it simply can't happen. Too many variables go into the mix, no agreement can account for them all. Much less to see the future of the economic market (not just in terms of the NHL either). Some team or teams along the line will be put in a bad spot because of the agreement, whatever that eventually will be. The best that can be hoped for is an agreement that makes it as fair as possible for all teams. Incorporate a fair trade-off for as many variables as you have the ability to control and with the rest, just hope it doesn't go too far astray. That sounds kinda weak, I know. But unless there's a crystal ball out there, we are a bit constrained as to knowing what will and what won't work in the future.

The concept of it being perfectly fair or perfectly equal is an illusion, but the goal should be to try and get as close to that as possible. That's part of the problem we have on these types of threads, the concept of "fair" varies pretty widely. Personally, I don't see the logic for some of those concepts and I've said as much many times before. But everyone has an opinion, and most stick to it no matter what. Nature of the beast on here.

In a cap system, every team's "glass" would be exactly the same size, which is fair (or I should say more fair than it is now). Because even if the team offered the $8 mil + 1 to the player, they'd be filling their own cap and would be most likely out of the running for other expensive players. Not like now where you can have teams like New York and Colarado go on basically "shopping sprees" and pick up multiple FAs for $6 mil here, $8 mil there, etc...

I'm not actually for or against a cap. All I'm for is what I stated above, an agreement that is as fair to all teams as much as that is possible. If that means a cap, so be it. If that means no cap but an alternate solution to what we have now, so be it. Without enough info to give an accurate assessment of what's really going on, I can't really speculate on what would work best. In a world where the best answer you can give is "It depends.", there's almost always another way around a problem such as this. The people working on this are quite intelligent, even though they aren't protrayed that way at times. With the info at their fingertips, they could create a solution close to or at that level of fairness I mentioned. Of that I have little doubt. The only question is do they even want to try.

The last week before the deadline is when 90% of the work is done in labor battles. Let's just hope this one doesn't break form.

Brent Burns Beard