It says here Players talking of $60 million luxury tax threshold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
djhn579 said:
Under a cap, every team would have to operate under the same budget. At that point, it comes down to how well teams draft, how well teams develop players, and how well teams trade..

so a team that drafts and trades and develops players well will build up a stable of good players who have earned good contracts. some of them will have to be let go under a cap.

a team that has drafted, traded and developed players poorly, therefore doesnt have much in the way of salary commitments, will be able to sign those players away from the well run teams because they have more cap room because they did not draft and trade well enough to have anyone to pay.

how is that fair ? how is it fair to break up OTT so that CHI can sign the castoffs ?

dr

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
DementedReality said:
so a team that drafts and trades and develops players well will build up a stable of good players who have earned good contracts. some of them will have to be let go under a cap.

This is already happening now, but only for some teams. Not all... How is this fair? I mean really, how is all teams having to work under the same salary restrictions not fair? They all do play in the same league right?

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
how is that fair ? how is it fair to break up OTT so that CHI can sign the castoffs ?

I think its fair to let the players play where they want after a certain point.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
djhn579 said:
This is already happening now, but only for some teams. Not all... How is this fair? I mean really, how is all teams having to work under the same salary restrictions not fair? They all do play in the same league right?

answer the question ... you have avoided it over the course of about 4 threads ...

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
DownFromNJ said:
I think its fair to let the players play where they want after a certain point.

then argue for lower UFA. the fact is, if you want to really drive salaries down, just make every player UFA after each season.

the fans would whine though.

dr

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
DementedReality said:
answer the question ... you have avoided it over the course of about 4 threads ...

dr

And you still have not answered my question about how rising player salaries are good for the fans...

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
djhn579 said:
And you still have not answered my question about how rising player salaries are good for the fans...

its a question that has no answer. i dont care how much each guy gets paid, its none of my business. i already answered that a week ago.

however, it is my business if my team has to start giving up good players just so crappy managment teams can pick them off.

so answer my question.

dr

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
DementedReality said:
its a question that has no answer. i dont care how much each guy gets paid, its none of my business. i already answered that a week ago.

however, it is my business if my team has to start giving up good players just so crappy managment teams can pick them off.

so answer my question.

dr

And like I said. It is already happening now, just not with every team. You just refuse to see that it's happening.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
djhn579 said:
And like I said. It is already happening now, just not with every team. You just refuse to see that it's happening.

forget it ... you wont even debate the issue. i dont see teams like OTT breaking themselves up for any artificial reasons.

dr

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
DementedReality said:
forget it ... you wont even debate the issue. i dont see teams like OTT breaking themselves up for any artificial reasons.

dr

Exactly. We will never agree on anything if you can't even see that this is happening right now.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
djhn579 said:
Exactly. We will never agree on anything if you can't even see that this is happening right now.

ok, i give in ... if you can show me where its happened.

dr

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
DementedReality said:

with a salary cap, what a player makes would be kept more in line than it is now, thus making it easier for teams to keep their players

a team that has drafted, traded and developed players poorly, therefore doesnt have much in the way of salary commitments, will be able to sign those players away from the well run teams because they have more cap room because they did not draft and trade well enough to have anyone to pay.

a team such as that would have picked through and offered contracts to two or three UFA's that they could afford, while having to watch their finances to keep themselves from being in trouble when another of their players' salaries comes up for a raise, while it's possible the team may offer a little more than what the player would be worth anywhere else, it would be more controlled and in line with the rest of the salaries around the league

would you really call them castoff's if the players were so good that they asked for too much from their current teams? IMO a player that was 'castoff' would be on the lower end of the payscale, thus more likely than not, not as talented as a star player coming off a pretty damn good year

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002

re: castoffs .... no they wouldnt be crappy players, but lets use OTT for example. they may not be able to resign Havlat or Spezza and CHI who has done nothing in 10 years of drafting will pick them off because they have no major salary commitments due to their poor player development.

dr

Scheme

Feb 14, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
DementedReality said:

dr

This argument fails - because a poorly managed team does not equal more cap room. If anything, it would more likely have less cap room - since a poorly managed team would be more likely to overpay players or sign players that aren't worth the money.

All other things being equal, in a cap situation, emerging stars will get raises (but not crazy contracts) with their current teams, because other teams are busy giving raises to their own stars. So you won't see a lot of movement to other teams. With a cap, rich teams can't offer enough of an incentive for a player to uproot from his established home/friends/teammates for crazy money. Just look at the soccer world and Real Madrid paying millions to buy stars for a stacked team. That's the future of hockey if things aren't fixed.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
djhn579 said:
Ummm, would the answer to that be that under a cap, every team would have the same ability to keep and retain their stars? That is considerably different from the current system where some teams can keep their stars and other teams can't.

Under a cap, every team would have to operate under the same budget. At that point, it comes down to how well teams draft, how well teams develop players, and how well teams trade. In other words, a GM has to know what he is doing and make good hockey decisions, not just sign the best free agents available, or run up player salaries so other teams have to trade good players before they reach free agency.

It does not come down to how well a team drafts. The argument that its fair because every team is under the same restraints is not valid, because they're not. Teams that draft well are invariably going to be punished, while teams that don't draft well are going to have their choice of superstars.

Maybe the current system is unfair, maybe its not, that's not the argument I'm having. I'm showing you why a hard cap is not fair.

HYPOTHETICALLY: Under a $30 million cap, lets say the average salary for a superstar is $4 million. Calgary has two superstars on their team, both of whom they drafted and developed. They both become free agents the same year. Because Calgary has been well run, they also have lots of other good players signed. But because they have alot of good players, they only have $5 million in cap room, even though they have the revenue to sign both. They only have enough room to sign one of the superstars, unless they both agree to take alot less than the league average. So they sign superstar "A" for $3 million, who takes less becuase he wants to stay. But, now they only have $2 million to sign supestar "B". At the same time, Detroit has been terribly run for some time, is devoid of superstars and only has a few marginally good players. They've drafted terribly, but they have $4 million in cap room, and offer Calgary's superstar "B" the $4 million he deserves, based on league average. Superstar "B" now has to decide between loyalty and a $2 million difference. I think its safe to assume most professional atheletes would take the extra $2 million, so lets assume superstar "B" does in this case. Now I ask you, if you were a Calgary fan would you be upset over this? Would you feel this is fair? Your team did the drafting and developing, had the revenue to sign both, but were unable to while, a poorly run team his been rewarded.

Now lets say there's a luxury tax at around $40 million. Salaries will come down under this system as well. Lets take the two superstars from my example above, and say a luxury tax has lowered the average superstar salary to $5 million. Calgary has the revenue to pay each $4 million, but they both want $5. Calgary then takes the extra money they received from the teams paying a luxury tax and is able to give both what they want. Calgary has not been punished for drafing well, and they're not paying any more of their money for those players than they would have under a cap.

So, if you were a Calgary fan, which situation would you prefer? The cap, which took one of your superstars away? Or the luxury tax which allowed you to keep both without spending anything more than you would have under a cap?

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
DementedReality said:
ok, i give in ... if you can show me where its happened.

dr

Peca - Traded for prospects because Buffalo could not afford his salary demands

Barnes - Traded for prospect, draft pick to reduce salary

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
djhn579 said:
Peca - Traded for prospects because Buffalo could not afford his salary demands

Barnes - Traded for prospect, draft pick to reduce salary

so this is about BUF ?

anyhow, even the rich teams like COL make player personell decisions based on money. its called managing. in fact, just this last season, COL traded a dman fine young dman in Derek Morris because they didnt want to QO him at 3.5m.

if BUF cant afford to pay its #1 C 4m, then the problem is with their team, not the system. and trading Barnes, a pending UFA, just makes sense. they didnt want to pay him because they felt his value was dropping. so what ?

it happens for every team in the league and is not a sign of "unfairness". for instance, the Canucks let go Lachance, Cassels, Baron, & Klatt in recent off seasons AND didnt even trade them for a draft pick.

dr

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
DementedReality said:
so this is about BUF ?

anyhow, even the rich teams like COL make player personell decisions based on money. its called managing. in fact, just this last season, COL traded a dman fine young dman in Derek Morris because they didnt want to QO him at 3.5m.

if BUF cant afford to pay its #1 C 4m, then the problem is with their team, not the system. and trading Barnes, a pending UFA, just makes sense. they didnt want to pay him because they felt his value was dropping. so what ?

it happens for every team in the league and is not a sign of "unfairness". for instance, the Canucks let go Lachance, Cassels, Baron, & Klatt in recent off seasons AND didnt even trade them for a draft pick.

dr

It's about Buffalo becase that's the team I'm most familiar with. Go on any small market team board and propose a trade. On of the biggest concerns is whether the team can afford picking up the salaries...

But you asked for an example, I gave you two. But of course, this isn't good enough. You always have another excuse, er, I mean justification...

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
djhn579 said:
It's about Buffalo becase that's the team I'm most familiar with. Go on any small market team board and propose a trade. On of the biggest concerns is whether the team can afford picking up the salaries...

But you asked for an example, I gave you two. But of course, this isn't good enough. You always have another excuse, er, I mean justification...

It's not that it's good enough more than you put your GM management aside to blame the CBA.

I can talk to you about 1 team I'm familiar with : The Montreal Canadiens.

Andre Savard the EX-GM of the team , was very poor when it comes to give contract to players. He gave 4,25M$/2 years to Randy McKay (2M$, 2,25M$). Will you honestly tell me that it's because of the CBA that Andre Savard gave him this deal ? Or it's maybe because of poor management ?

Andre Savard offer the same 20M$/4 years to Martin Lapointe not because other follow him but they truly think that his leadership & intangibles would be an asset to the team. It's not about the CBA , it's about management decision that are GOOD & BAD.

Now you have Bob Gainey, he didn't offer 6M$ to Kovalev & it's not because of the END of the CBA , it's because he got a ''BUDGET'' to respect ? Is it not COST CERTAINTY when a GM respect what the OWNER can afford to pay for his players ?

Brent Burns Beard