It looks like Duchene has found his place on Columbus

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
sorry its all just right timing. Clutch is not a thing that exists

Not all. You put modern Eberle into the World Juniors scenario with equal skill and competition and he doesn't score. His confidence is shot. You might call it being drafted by the Oilers, you might call it consistently not living up to expectstions.
Either way, the situation at hand and your own mindset affects the scenario a lot. You're confident, you can do that much more.

Same as acting. Same as any other sport. Same as a work presentation. When it gets going, you can be someone who performs better or the same or worse. To varying degrees.

Reactions: cgf

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Clutch 'can be' a thing. But maybe mis-interpreted.

Let me paint a scenario;

Many teams play much more defensive when they are holding a lead.

If you agree with that statement?

Would you agree that some teams that are trailing, will often abandon a few defensive schemes, and maybe cheat a little for offense, and are more willing to trade chances?

Is that a fair statement?

If you can agree with both of those previous statements (which seam like very basic concepts) then this is where perceptions of a players clutchness can occur.

When trailing teams are opening up to trade chances, and cheat for offense... some players like Duchene are capable of capitalizing on the cheating and chance trading more than others.

That is why he was previously called 'unclutch'. He is able to score when the game is out of reach, and is able to pad stats (not saying i agree, but i do know several players this pertains to).

On the flip side:
When a team is defending a lead, some players are more adept at causing chaos and turnovers, and understand how to break up plays down low, and are more reliably able to 'cheat' for offense.

Odds are those types of players will create more scoring opportunities when there is an extra attacker, or contribute to more game tying goals.

I would guess those players are called more 'clutch'.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I have a hierarchy of bets as far as the Blue Jackets are concerned. I bet that if CBJ makes the 2nd round, Dzingel resigns and Duchene may resign. If they make the conference finals, Duchene definitely resigns. If CBJ makes it to the Cup finals, Panarin may resign, as well. If CBJ wins the Cup, Panarin almost certainly will re-sign. I think Bob leaves no matter what, just because I think the FO has a long-term plan at that spot now with Merzlikins.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
to me clutch is someone who has ice in their veins. when the stakes are high and the pressure is immense they are not as effected by it like most humans

Reactions: avsfan09 and olop

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Duchene did well in Ottawa. Duchene is a good player, just a slow started on a new team.

Duchene keeps playing like this, he will get paid. People can quote him saying it's about winning and money, but until he signs a very team friendly contract with a current contender, or an up and coming one, he's going to take money.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Happy as hell for the guy. He deserves some playoff success.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He said it several times that he is not chasing money. His top 2 priorities are 1) Winning and 2) His family.
True. Columbus is reckoned as a great town for raising a family (and it's just a few hours drive from any Golden Horseshoe-area relatives), and he's winning with the Jackets. So we feel like we've got a decent chance. :)

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
1 goal and 1 assist tonight. He now has 3 goals, 4 assists, and 7 points in 4 games during the playoffs.

Reactions: Bobcat110

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I tossed a coin 8 times, I wanted heads, 5 tails and 3 heads.... Then I said to the coin, do or die, it came up with 2 heads.

Is my coin clutch?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Duchene is a great player, and he stepped up in his brief playoff experience even when he was injured.

If he stays, he'll still be streaky for Columbus though and I don't expect him to be a PPG player in the regular season, 60-70 points is my guess. When he's on his game, dude is elite and why an offensive system like Ottawa was such a boon to his game.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Clutch 'can be' a thing. But maybe mis-interpreted.

Let me paint a scenario;

Many teams play much more defensive when they are holding a lead.

If you agree with that statement?

Would you agree that some teams that are trailing, will often abandon a few defensive schemes, and maybe cheat a little for offense, and are more willing to trade chances?

Is that a fair statement?

If you can agree with both of those previous statements (which seam like very basic concepts) then this is where perceptions of a players clutchness can occur.

When trailing teams are opening up to trade chances, and cheat for offense... some players like Duchene are capable of capitalizing on the cheating and chance trading more than others.

That is why he was previously called 'unclutch'. He is able to score when the game is out of reach, and is able to pad stats (not saying i agree, but i do know several players this pertains to).

On the flip side:
When a team is defending a lead, some players are more adept at causing chaos and turnovers, and understand how to break up plays down low, and are more reliably able to 'cheat' for offense.

Odds are those types of players will create more scoring opportunities when there is an extra attacker, or contribute to more game tying goals.

I would guess those players are called more 'clutch'.
You cappin bruh

Clutch is simply who doesn't get phased under the immense pressure of key situations. The ones that can handle stress and thrive in it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad