It is official, the fans dont care anymore.

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
Hard to understand how the owners aren't realizing just how much their brand is being hurt. To me that is the best thing about the lockout. This time fans are not going to rush back, and in the soft markets they may be gone for good. Contraction would be the best outcome. Get rid of all the weak sister teams Betmann put into places where no one cares about hockey. Then get rid of Betmann.

hockeyfanz*

Once back, i wish we did something (just one time) to let them know we are here; And not just brainless sports fans, who are willing to toss money at them at all costs.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.....I think those who cannot wait to tune into the games as soon as the puck drops are just that.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nice pay cut for the players and owners coming who forgot to respect the fans who pay.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...ality-problem-hockey-fans-162447531--nhl.html

and what comes around goes around.Go ahead cancel the season.

fans say they don't care but it's a load of crap. There is NO reason to believe they won't be back NHL has done this twice and twice they came back. Anyone here that is a member of TML die hards on facebook knows how I feel about fans saying they won't be back

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Not true in all markets.

There are too many well paid, run of the mill players and the product is diluted now in the NHL.There are many markets now where the NHL has lost momentum.How will they get fans back? Lower prices,meaning lower revenue. Many teams live off the charity of the owners, who lose money. I mean there are hockey players making more than the superbowl quarterback.Teams will fold,revenues will fall in many markets and salaries will drop.

If the NHL called up all the AHL teams many would go and in many cases not notice the difference.Unions are being smashed all over(Michigan),now it is the overpaid NHL players turn.You say people will be back,but there is a major recession this time and some fans will discover they like that extra money in their pockets in case they get laid off.The players are out of touch and will now be tuned in.Fans have lost apathy.We used to support NHL players because they were one of us,not anymore,now they are seen as greedy just like the Wall St bankers.This time is different and I will say it,both me and my brother don't care like we used to.Many fans feel the same.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
. NHL fans are like crack addicts. The addict tries to get clean and some do succeed but most fail. Fans say they will stay away and a few might but long term the NHL won't even notice new fans are made every day.

Apr 1, 2010
Will say this -- what the Jays have done the last couple of months has made a lot of Torontonians, self included, not even care about the lockout ("Just wake me up when it's over") and just want to fast forward to spring training.

That would be considered unfathomable.
I hear ya.

If these guys don't wantto play, then F'em. We got most promising Jays season in 20yrs coming up.

The best part is that if the Jays are rocking it in October the early Leafs games could suffer in terms of TV numbers.

I don't agree with the analogy to Tims but w/e

On Tannenbaum

He did actulley do that.

It was a fairly famous indecent that happen in the last lock-out back in January 2005 at a BOG meeting where he apparently stood up and gave 30 minute speech about why they should play hockey that season; And apparently it was greeted with the old "Of course you want to play, You own the Leafs" line.

What more can he realistically do? He's one guy, And Bettman gets his marching orders from about 10 owners who are losing money.

Wasn't Tannenbaum at the players & Owners meetings?

I said right form the get go, that it was the losing owners that were running this.

MLSE might be better off to take their team of players and play Games against the best of the European leagues.

Screw the NHL. IF they want to cater to a bunch of owners who together can't generate the HRR the LEafs do then screw them.

I ranted on this before, and I'll say it again. We are the King Kong of this jungle and we need to start acting like it.

LEgally can the LEafs and other teams leave the NHL and form a new League?

The Stanely cup does not belong to the NHL. So it could potentially be taken with the new teams. Ofcourse that is a Lawyers wetdream of a lawsuit, but if there is no other elite league playing, then there is no real reason why the CUp could not be awarded to the splinter group.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
The Jays were always my favourite team so hockey was never the #1 sport I watched, but the lockout has definitely deflated my interest in hockey; I haven't even watched any of the WJC prelims even though I watch as many WJC games/year as I can and I'll be watching the 1992 Jays World Series replay on Sportsnet instead of this year's WJC. I'll watch the Leafs when they come back, but with much less interest than at the end of the last season.

I think the Jays new team is going to be a big issue for the Leafs & I don't think young, downtown Toronto sports fans are as loyal to the Leafs....I know tons of Jays & Raptors fans but very few Leafs fans.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
. NHL fans are like crack addicts. The addict tries to get clean and some do succeed but most fail. Fans say they will stay away and a few might but long term the NHL won't even notice new fans are made every day.

You've made the mistake of thinking American NHL fans and Canadian NHL fans are one and the same. Hockey isn't ingrained in the culture in America.

Leafs For Life*

well there are people who live in Canada that aren't into hockey...

I see it as these are the major sports that you most likely will have as your favorite sport.
Canada: Hockey
Northern USA: Baseball
Southern USA: Football

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
I'm actually happy my game was cancelled so i could get my money back. I had tickets to the Oilers vs Leafs on December 18th, it was nice to get my 400 bucks back. I wont be going to any NHL games for at least 5 years. I also won't be buying any hockey merchandise for those years.

As far as i'm concerned, i'm done with hockey outside of the odd HNIC game.

ForSpareParts*

Common people in America love football and baseball.
Common people in Canada love hockey.

Those of us that love Polo, Fencing, and Croquette think it's cute that you people love those sports.

;)

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
I still care; I can't stop. I know we're abused, yadda yadda... I got over that complex when I became a Leafs fan decades ago. I love this game; I will jump back on the NHL wagon when it is ready. Sure, I'm part of the problem; it can't be helped. Nearly everyone in this thread will be back; I'm just being honest about it.

It helps that I'm a hockey fan; not an NHL fan. I'm still watching more than half the hockey I usually watch.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'll watch the first game broadcast when this dispute over your money is settled.

Not sure I'll get Center Ice for a shortened season though.

If I watch the awful product MLSE has put on the ice the past decade you think a lost year of NHL hockey will deter me?

I'm looking forward to some real changes in the league, and if the lock-out is the catalyst for those changes great.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To tell the truth, many days go by where I don't give missing hockey much thought, as I go about life.

When you're a fan of a bad, losing hockey team missing the losses and suffering through never-ending losing seasons is actually lessened when there is no hockey at all to endure.

It has been ever increasingly difficult to follow this team through its darkest time in Leaf history. Leaf Nation was spoiled in the past as even during the Ballard years loyal Leaf fans never had to endure more than 2 consecutive non playoff years.. Now we have 7 non playoff seasons book-ended by a pair of lockouts and unbelievably and unimaginably 10 years between playoff appearances.

Hopefully when hockey returns MLSE is more concerned about Leaf Nation fans, and demands self accountability internally to validate the money fans invest in it, and puts a team on the ice we can be proud of again instead of forced to make excuses for its failure.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
I see it as these are the major sports that you most likely will have as your favorite sport.
Canada: Hockey
Northern USA: Baseball
Southern USA: Football
well i grew up with everyone only playing soccer

hockey? we didnt have a local rink, and not everyone knew how to skate
however we all had shoes and had a ball

i uno man

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Part of me wishes the NHL would return, however another part of me wishes they would just cancel the remainder of the season. Bettman said for there to be a legit season each team needs to play 48 games, however I rather see them start fresh next year with a full 82 games.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
F the players take a huge pay cut then I hope revenue sharing ia dead toom

If there is no season the leafs have a great shot at a top pick to play next year!
Luongo will be 34 and to old to be traded for!Thus we will keep Gardiner, Rielly and any draft choices used to acquire the againg vet netminder

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't know if 34 is too old..

But other ,cheaper options may crop up driving Luongo's value way down.If we have contraction,his value will be zero. Bettman intends to send a message to GM's that give out silly, ubber-long contracts which circumvent the spirit of the past agreements.In other words, Gillis is about to get screwed.Some of the older players will be returning and never regain form,it is not certain interest will be regained when their team suddenly sucks.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Just cancel the whole season. No point in starting mid January to which they've cancelled the games up to:rant:

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
To tell the truth, many days go by where I don't give missing hockey much thought, as I go about life.

This probably represents how I feel about this situation as well. I have never really felt any withdrawal this entire time without hockey. I don't really miss the feelings of aggravation of seeing what this franchise has become nor do I miss the clowns who are responsible for the way the team is.

I honestly don't know how I would feel if they announced the season starting tomorrow...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad