Movies: It 2

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Better than the second part of the TV movie from the 90s but still not great. This movie was just not scary, they are incapable of doing anything other than loud jumpy music everytime something that is supposed to be "scary" pops out, they have no restraint at all. The runtime was too long and it definitely should have been cut down a bit and all of the various characters subplots were boring with very predictable scares.

Some of the character stuff was still good though, they did a great job casting the adults. Bill Hader was pretty funny as Richie and the movie looked good overall. Bill Skarsgård put in a fantastic performance once again.

2.5/5.

Reactions: irunthepeg

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It Chapter Two [2019] :

I was watching It Chapter Two, thoroughly enjoying myself, when my bladder let me know it needed emptying. Nature's call grew louder and louder but, because I was having such a good time, I kept putting it off, waiting for the movie to end. Finally, I gave in. I stopped the movie and ran to the washroom. To my surprise, when I pushed pause, there was still over an hour left !!!

Good thing I didn't wait.

It's unfortunate director Andy Muschietti couldn't find 30 minutes to remove, because It Chapter Two could have been something special. Still, in it's present form, it's a lot of fun - just not as good as part 1.

* The first two thirds are terrific. Scary, fun, and intense.

* The last hour is a mess - just like the ending of the book.

7/10

Movie Trailer :

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Instead of making a 3 hour movie, they should have released the parts of the movie where the characters return to what scared them in their youth, on the DVD. That would have cut 1 hour and given people a reason to buy the DVD.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I saw it on the weekend. It's a very middle of the road movie. My wife and I enjoyed the first one, but a story around the adults is inherently less interesting.

I feel like there are a few flaws. The length is a big one. It really dragged in the middle, when it separated the characters. Each sub plot were very similar, and become so much less effective as a scare when you see it coming from a mile away.

I also didn't find the adults plot lines all that interesting. The Ben and Beverly romance was probably the strongest, and Bill Hader was good for some laughs, but I really wasn't invested much in everyone's individual challenges.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
What a terribly written film. I was falling asleep. Set pieces were fun, but not that scary, way to reliant on predictable jump scares, terrible paced. The story delves into a macguffin subplot for each character that didn't need to be there at all; and the repitiveness of those subplots made the movie painfully slow and dull. Aside from the horror set pieces and the beginning of the film when we're meeting the adult characters, this movie is utterly terribly. And it's disappointing because they had some solid core they could have made a great film with if the writing was there. Now, I haven't read the book, so I am unaware if the writers for the film were just being faithful.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
What a terribly written film. I was falling asleep. Set pieces were fun, but not that scary, way to reliant on predictable jump scares, terrible paced. The story delves into a macguffin subplot for each character that didn't need to be there at all; and the repitiveness of those subplots made the movie painfully slow and dull. Aside from the horror set pieces and the beginning of the film when we're meeting the adult characters, this movie is utterly terribly. And it's disappointing because they had some solid core they could have made a great film with if the writing was there. Now, I haven't read the book, so I am unaware if the writers for the film were just being faithful.
There are pictures of me sleeping during this film.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
People clapped when credits came up at my showing. I was just shocked. How those people managed to not be utterly bored by this film surprised me.
I was fine with the movie as someone who had seen the original miniseries and didn’t expect them to veer too far off of the path. I was just really tired after work when I saw it haha
I probably fell asleep between 5-7 times for I am guessing a total of less than 15 minutes. There were lots of loud noises and bright flashes to rouse me back!

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
People clapped when credits came up at my showing. I was just shocked. How those people managed to not be utterly bored by this film surprised me.

Maybe they clapped because it finally ended and they were cheering on themselves for getting through it? Not that it was torture or anything, it didn't even bother me that it was that long, but that was really bad.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It wasn't bad. It was a perfectly acceptable use of the money I paid for the tickets. But I likely will never see it again.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I read the book the summer before the new part 1 came out and was reserving judgment until I saw part 2. Now that I have, I can't help but feel that the films and 91' miniseries are too limited in length to really give the novel justice. According to Wikipedia, George A. Romero had originally signed on to direct the miniseries, which would have been 8-10 hours, consisting of 4 two hour blocks. He stepped away due to scheduling conflicts and ABC went with Tommy Lee Wallace as well as condensing it down to two parts.

The novel just has way too much content to be told in 4-5 hours. The new films tried but didn't quite convey the sense of dread that has hung over Derry for centuries. Reading the book, I felt like I was part of The Losers Club and came of age that summer with them. I could go on and on but I won't.

I guess it's like they say, the book is always better than the movie.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
I worked on the movie for the whole 86 days of filming in Toronto and Port Hope. We shot so much footage they could of made a 3rd movie really. A lot of great scenes we shot didn't make the movie or were re-shot like the scene with Ben in the School and when Eddie sees his mom in the Pharmacy basement. We worked insane hours because Andy could seriously film for 30 hours straight and still want to keep going but it was so fun. I know Andy plans to be shooting more footage and making a full length of everything that was cut out of both movies with additional scenes written in. There is also talk that an Origin story of Pennywise has been discussed and possibly Steven King writing something for this. Just some intel for those who care.

Reactions: discostu

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I worked on the movie for the whole 86 days of filming in Toronto and Port Hope. We shot so much footage they could of made a 3rd movie really. A lot of great scenes we shot didn't make the movie or were re-shot like the scene with Ben in the School and when Eddie sees his mom in the Pharmacy basement. We worked insane hours because Andy could seriously film for 30 hours straight and still want to keep going but it was so fun. I know Andy plans to be shooting more footage and making a full length of everything that was cut out of both movies with additional scenes written in. There is also talk that an Origin story of Pennywise has been discussed and possibly Steven King writing something for this. Just some intel for those who care.

Pretty cool info, thanks!

Not sure what you're able to really disclose, but did you get to work with the actors themselves pretty closely? What was it like?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad