Proposal: It’s time for Carey Price to come to Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Price makes no sense in Vancouver right now. We'd have to give up assets and our rebuild has barely started. We need to fix our D first.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
The last time the Canucks were rebuilding and acquired a superstar goalie (2006 - Luongo), it ended up changing the entire complexion of the team and organisation in a massive positive manner.

you are over looking 2 key stats-- Luongo was 27 at the time of the deal and Price 31. The second stat is money. Loungo when traded to Vancouver was on a very good deal. Price is 31 and on 10.5 mill for 8 more years. If Price was 27 and not 31. Then I see the comparison. Vancouver traded Luongo when he was 34

Reactions: Devonator

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Meh, I know some habs fans want to get rid of him for rebuild purposes. I'm happy keeping him for the time being.

The reality is, even Price (and as good as he is) can't stop us from tanking with the shit team he has in front of him. Might as well restock our prospect pool and have him there in ~3 years when we're on the rise again.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Here’s my thing:

1) Most “alpha” goalies in the league (past and present) are still pretty damned good even up until their late 30’s (36-37.....38 really seems to be the age where they need to reduce their games per season).

2) Buy low sell high. Throughout history, almost all superstar goalies have atleast one “bad” or “off” season. It’s just the way she goes. Price had his last year.

3) recovery from injuries: We’ve seen this movie before with numerous goalies. They battle injuries, have a bad season, media wonders if said goalie still “has it,” and then goalie comes back strong.

Yes - Price has a VERY hefty contract, but that, combined with his off year last year, should allow him to be realistically had.

I know many people believe that goalies aren’t as important in “the new hockey,” but I disagree. You still need that goalie that can catch fire when you need him the most. We saw that from MAF and Holtby last year.

'realistic'? pray tell what is that? he's still a great tender, overpaid, but only arriving at his prime now

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Some VAN fans will never want that contract. I understand them.
Some MTL fans will want to give it for free. I can't see MTL giving that of an asset for free.

I have no idea what the real value at the moment, but that contract has to be kicked a few years in before any team (including MTL) will want to be part of a Price trade. And I feel it'll never happen.
fellow fans that want him traded or gotten are free are dumb. i'll go along with pro NHL players who consistently put him in the top3 best goalies in NHL. not the sanctimonious, amateur scouts on this board

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
People saying how that’s untouchable are so stupid. If it was 7-8 million it would be non issue. So for an extra 2-3 million he suddenly becomes untouchable...? And you’re getting without any doubt a top 5 goalie in the world....anyways even if Vancouver wanted Carey, it would gut their team. Start with Boeser or Peterson and keep adding....you’re not close. A goalie can make an average team very good and a very good team great. Everyone says you don’t need a goalie to win a cup, until a goalie actually wins a cup. Everyone thought he needed to have defensmeen, then Pittsburgh wins it twice in a row with a bunch of no names that played very well together....there is more than 1 way to win the cup, not just what the last winner did....

Reactions: JFH

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I don't see MTL GM trading him as it means he admits he made a mistake in the first place. When he gets fired, the next GM may do it. If Price bounces back at that point, perhaps teams will be interested. If I'm MTL all I ask is a late 1st or a 2nd.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
price would just be another luongo. isnt vancouver trying to move past the stench of the luongo-sedin era?

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
In a few years Price will be complete untradable toxic waste... if he isnt already.

Let's wait until a few other goalies get comparable contracts, it'll happen. Getting rid of the contract for the sake of freeing cap space ain't doing nothing for MTL right now. GMMB ain't attracting big names that would worth that cap space. No UFA star player worth that kind of money would sign in MTL in the next 3~5 years, can't see anyone on the team that will worth that much in the same timelapse.

When all that money will bve worth (and needed) to be spent elsewhere, I bet a more competent GM than GMMB will be in place and will have a bit more room than at the moment. I agree, the contract is bad... but trading it right now will get the fanbase (not talking about HF one here) angry and would impact sales. If Price saves the day (season/s) and prevent a proper rebuild, I bet he'll be tradeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad