Proposal: It’s time for Carey Price to come to Vancouver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
I am A-okay not absorbing that contract one bit, and actually having cap space to work with when we have to re-sign guys like Boeser.

Reactions: nucks88

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Assuming that there is zero retention on Montreal’s part, and the Canucks absorb Price’s contract in its entirety, what would fair value be to Montreal?

That's a tough trade to sell to fans*. Habs are essentially getting out of his contract and tanking the season, and any future asset would be a bonus. Realistically they need to get something back that doesn't look like they gave him up for nothing.

*The real fans who don't say stupid things like 'he was never any good'

I doubt a team touches Price with 8 years left though. Maybe in a few years, with the cap at 82-83m (and Montreal would probably still have to retain salary)

Last edited:

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
No interested in the least at that contract. Way to much gambling on a goalie and whatever Montreal would even be asking for. Rather just stick the course and hope Demko or DiPietro can become that #1 eventually.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Here’s my thing:

1) Most “alpha” goalies in the league (past and present) are still pretty damned good even up until their late 30’s (36-37.....38 really seems to be the age where they need to reduce their games per season).

2) Buy low sell high. Throughout history, almost all superstar goalies have atleast one “bad” or “off” season. It’s just the way she goes. Price had his last year.

3) recovery from injuries: We’ve seen this movie before with numerous goalies. They battle injuries, have a bad season, media wonders if said goalie still “has it,” and then goalie comes back strong.

Yes - Price has a VERY hefty contract, but that, combined with his off year last year, should allow him to be realistically had.

I know many people believe that goalies aren’t as important in “the new hockey,” but I disagree. You still need that goalie that can catch fire when you need him the most. We saw that from MAF and Holtby last year.

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
There would be no advantage for MTL to clear up 10M cause they cant sign a big UFA anyways lol

Reactions: Ori

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
It's baffling to me how the Habs wound up in this situation. How much better off would they be right now if they had put the for sale sign out on him instead of putting this cement shoes contract on him? I don't feel bad for him because he's making insane money, but they have amplified the pressure and expectation placed on him tenfold, and he already had arguably the most in the league to begin with.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Habs aren't in a rush to get rid of him. Don't bother with it until the next CBA negotiations and a possible compliance buyout.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
why would Vancouver do it? It would actually hurt our rebuild by having that contract on our books for that long. Also we have two good prospects in net that will be our starter maybe in 2 or 3 years

Reactions: Catbug

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
^this. For free. Future considerations. Whatever. Just get rid of this atrocious and undeserved contract.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Price's value with his contract is a net negative but I doubt Bergevin will move him without a decent amount of assets going the other way. That would be conceding giving a far above-market value contract in the first place.

It's going to take a regime change for the Habs to even considering moving that deal.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It's baffling to me how the Habs wound up in this situation. How much better off would they be right now if they had put the for sale sign out on him instead of putting this cement shoes contract on him? I don't feel bad for him because he's making insane money, but they have amplified the pressure and expectation placed on him tenfold, and he already had arguably the most in the league to begin with.

The Habs are just fine with Price backing the team up for the next 8 years. Salary cap is always going up, and the team has plenty of exciting youth both on offense and defense. Montreal is in a pretty good situation right now. They have cap space, they have depth, they have quality prospects and they have a solid goalie for 8 years. And the Pacioretty trade was genius.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
The Habs are just fine with Price backing the team up for the next 8 years. Salary cap is always going up, and the team has plenty of exciting youth both on offense and defense. Montreal is in a pretty good situation right now. They have cap space, they have depth, they have quality prospects and they have a solid goalie for 8 years. And the Pacioretty trade was genius.

I saw his left leg twitch for 4-5 seconds during the second period last night at the 12:00 mark

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Nothing will be worked out. Price is too valuable to Montreal to not get something worthwhile in return, and no team is going to want to pay a full premium because of his contract

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
why would Vancouver do it? It would actually hurt our rebuild by having that contract on our books for that long. Also we have two good prospects in net that will be our starter maybe in 2 or 3 years

The last time the Canucks were rebuilding and acquired a superstar goalie (2006 - Luongo), it ended up changing the entire complexion of the team and organisation in a massive positive manner.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Some VAN fans will never want that contract. I understand them.
Some MTL fans will want to give it for free. I can't see MTL giving that of an asset for free.

I have no idea what the real value at the moment, but that contract has to be kicked a few years in before any team (including MTL) will want to be part of a Price trade. And I feel it'll never happen.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Some VAN fans will never want that contract. I understand them.
Some MTL fans will want to give it for free. I can't see MTL giving that of an asset for free.

I have no idea what the real value at the moment, but it has to be kicked a few years in before any team (including MTL) will want to be part of a Price trade. And I feel it'll never happen.

In a few years Price will be complete untradable toxic waste... if he isnt already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad